Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully's draft is an interesting one. I'd almost take Talia over any player that went before him. Martin is probably better but difficult to tell with the different positions.

I wonder how Talia would have developed if Davis & Bock were still here and didn't have a spot open up for him

Would a year or 2 extra in the SANFL have stunted his development? I reckon it might

Not pretty ........it really only seems we've got our s...t together in recent years

1-2 players maybe per draft that go onto any football of note :(

Well you'd better get used to it as that is all that can ever happen unless they decide to increase the number of players from 22.
There are only so many that can fit ... if a couple retire or move on every year that is how many will come in ...
2006 - 2008 had quite a few retirements but it will be back to the norm for the next few years ...
Impossible to recruit 5 players every year-in-out who will all play 200+ games.

There's no think about the Jarman trade, it was a 3 way with Wellman Salmon & Fudd the main pieces

As for welsh, I know he was in a 3 way, for example - Geelong received #15 amongst other things for Leigh Colbert from North.

#15 belonged to Brisbane, but it shows no record of how that pick got to North from Brisbane. It was I think part of a Brisbane/ADE/North combined trade. Brisbane got pick 6 for Clarke and downgrade of #15 to
#21.

Welsh was a first round pick 4 years earlier, who had just played 22 games in a premiership year for North, including the grand final. That is not the CV of a guy who goes for pick #77

Ade gave up 6 for Clarke and 21 for Welsh

Consider Welsh

Fair enough:thumbsu: , I admit that I've often found the idea somewhat suspicious given what Welsh showed at our club. Since I was still quite young at the time he joined us I was unaware of the circumstances that lead to him joining us, as such I've tried in the past to find out more on the topic but have always just seen the simple two club trade on record.

Fair enough:thumbsu: , I admit that I've often found the idea somewhat suspicious given what Welsh showed at our club. Since I was still quite young at the time he joined us I was unaware of the circumstances that lead to him joining us, as such I've tried in the past to find out more on the topic but have always just seen the simple two club trade on record.

welsh was released on compassionate grounds for way-unders after a family death (without recalling the specifics)

Due to his perceived lack of athleticism and running ability, something which has caused teams to overlook many players, Michael Barlow, Mitch Grigg and Sam Mitchell (pick 36) off the top of my head.

I'm a firm believer that if they can play football, then draft them. Doesn't take a superior athlete to dominate the game
Darren Jarman wasn't that fast ... mind you he was also a shite player that never did anything for us ay ... ;)

Up until 2005 all our good players with not many exceptions were from the intial squad, preseason picks, rookies or trades! Amazing Fantasia kept his job for so long.
Or the fact that our initial South Australians we were entitled to were just THAT good! Which i believe could be largely the answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back