Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll put it out there - Tom is one of my favourites and guess he and Trent were always going to fight over that one spare backline position. Trent perhaps in front due to his powerful left foot kick, which incidentally was never fully allowed to be exploited - ah well that’s water under the bridge!
I may be wrong but does Tom still have a year to run on his contract ?
If that is the case there are perhaps two options opened for Tom. 1 Get himself super fit (without any injuries) in the pre season and if a position on the last line of defence opens up during the season, he could be ready to go & 2. With these new sanfl rules, could a permanent leadership position be found for him with the Maggie’s? ie. finish his playing career with the Maggie’s ?

Last edited:

If we are keeping him next year should be given a chance to play in Goldsack's system in AFL. Would definitely hold a mark better than Esava
Esava's marking in the backline wasn't the big problem over the year. It's what he did when he had the ball in his hands.

If Clurey was a better marker than Esava he'd never have been out of the side in the last few years.

Esava's marking in the backline wasn't the big problem over the year. It's what he did when he had the ball in his hands.

If Clurey was a better marker than Esava he'd never have been out of the side in the last few years.

Clureys back was stuffed, and seems to have only finally gotten over it this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Clurey is a part of the Greyhound Syndicate and it has served him well as his extension in 2022 which extended from 2023 to 2025 has made him the ultimate list clogger.

I don't know who signed off on that one but not a good deal.

Marking was only a problem when he stood a metre behind the goal line before grabbing it :rolleyes:o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back