Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what you're talking about. If we delisted Clurey his full salary continues to count against the cap + the salary of the rookie who replaced him.

A shuffle to the rookie list is possible if they need to make space, on the main list, but unless we have a bunch of cap space, cutting him makes no sense.

The only way it doesn't count against our cap is if another AFL club picks him up after we delist him. Then they take the final year of the contract and we either only pay some or none of his contract.

What I mean is we will be paying Clurey's salary either way (whether he is AFL listed or not). So if he is not going to play AFL games (which he didn't this year and I would bet he doesn't next year), we are better off paying to him sit on the SANFL list and getting an extra young bloke through the draft onto the AFL list. We have the cap space to do it.

Our strategy with Clurey really depends on whether West Coast is still interested in him or not. If they are then we could delist him and let them pick him up as a delisted free agent. Failing that we would need to retain him and cut other contracted guys on smaller salaries such as Jackson, Williams or McEntee to get the list spaces we need.

What I mean is we will be paying Clurey's salary either way (whether he is AFL listed or not). So if he is not going to play AFL games (which he didn't this year and I would bet he doesn't next year), we are better off paying to him sit on the SANFL list and getting an extra young bloke through the draft onto the AFL list. We have the cap space to do it.
Fair enough. Not sure we definitely have the money, may have used some of it on Ratkins and Luko?

I think Clurey will also be held as depth incase of emergency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back