Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Each time the selection panel sit to decide whether or not to name Poppy in the squad they should be forced to view this video.

This and most all other Puopolo 1%ers are played back in my mind in slow motion and with this as the backing track...

(skip to 0:41)

This chase is simply amazing.

I agree. 1%-er of the year/season/century/millenium.

Stirring stuff from the pup.

If we had 22 Puopolos in the side we'd win by 10 goals ever week, ruck stats be damnded.

In fact you could make a good case that this is why picking up players from the SANFL/WAFL/VFL can be a good bet, more often than not they're desperate to grab their second chance and it shows on the field. I hope that bodes well for Garlett, though despite being young we can hope that missing out last year gave him the kick in the pants he needed.

The great thing for me is we have been close to him for a couple of seasons so have a really good read on his character and have built up trust. Well done Hawks.

We have been fantastic at refining rough diamonds. Willo, Buddy. No doubt another one here.

Putting aside whether we win or lose games, we have some of the most watchable players of alltime week in week out and hopefully Dayle will add to that.

Yeah but Freo's pressure cooker gameplan, but, but...
(sorry, still getting over the GF build-up week)

Don't forget he feeds baby's to pit bull's for fun.;)

All this talk about risk is rubbish.
Call me a grumpy pedantic old man if you like but what is it with plurals these days. Why throw in an apostrophe which marks the possessive case eg the baby's pram or the pit bull's bone
The plural of baby is babies......no apostrophe . The plural of pit bull is pit bulls ....no apostrophe

Call me a grumpy pedantic old man if you like but what is it with plurals these days. Why throw in an apostrophe which marks the possessive case eg the baby's pram or the pit bull's bone
The plural of baby is babies......no apostrophe . The plural of pit bull is pit bulls ....no apostrophe

OK then, you grumpy pedantic old man.

I'd read about the 37 goals, but didn't realise that he'd only played 13-14 games and was averaging more than 3 a game! That's phenomenal, and all whilst averaging 17 possessions. Hopefully he can transfer that form!

Question marks are required. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oooh Cyril. I can see your new here. Let me give you a quiet word of advice. Just let all, and there are many, many of them, spelling, grammar and punctuation errors slide by. If you don't your obsession to correct will take up all yiur time, and you will not have to enjoy all the threads here.

Question marks are required. :p
Good pickup Eldorado...I like it. Another one that drives me crazy is all the football commentators that use the word comeraderie....they try to sound smart by using big words. The word is camaraderie....no O in this

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-dayle-garlett-2/

not a bad read] quote

Thanks for posting that RR. I have already felt frustrated by the constant talk about his past and the hope he takes his second chance & that he's learnt from his kick up the butt, blah blah!! The day 1 draft interview by the media was appauling! Quite clearly he has!!
What he acheived this past season is remarkable already and instead of focusing on the negative he should be acknowledged for his commitment to make the huge change he has already shown.
I think he is certainly a good news story. Now surrounded by mentors and a more structured environment I personally expect him to progress. He seems to show quite a bit of insight and that's always a great step in assisting someone to move forward.
Best of luck Dayle. I'm excited for you and what you can achieve for yourself, family and the Club.

Ok , back to Dayle Garlett. Did anyone see the media interview of Billy Hartung,Dayle and James Sicily on the Hawthorn FC website ?
They homed in on Dayle and started grilling him on his history. He handled the questions very well I thought.The questions kept coming and were only directed at Dayle. He looked a little uneasy but when a Hawthorn spokesperson interjected and asked if there were any questions for Billy and James a broad smile broke out on Dayle's face. It was priceless
I think he felt a little uneasy because the media weren't including the other guys and saw the comedy in the situation

Oooh Cyril. I can see your new here. Let me give you a quiet word of advice. Just let all, and there are many, many of them, spelling, grammar and punctuation errors slide by. If you don't your obsession to correct will take up all yiur time, and you will not have to enjoy all the threads here.

I agree that most should be let go. But considering you are an English teacher, what is yiur? :confused:

Are you playing games with me Dipper? You have put an apostrophe in the plural of apostrophe.
You wait til you see what Joondalup does when it's apostrophe time. It's mind boggling. ;-)

Due to me making up complete bullshyte.
Like most of the things said about Dayle, I thought I would just throw in something that was not correct.
Well done, because just like Clarko and Graham Wright you could see the errors.

Ok , back to Dayle Garlett. Did anyone see the media interview of Billy Hartung,Dayle and James Sicily on the Hawthorn FC website ?
They homed in on Dayle and started grilling him on his history. He handled the questions very well I thought.The questions kept coming and were only directed at Dayle. He looked a little uneasy but when a Hawthorn spokesperson interjected and asked if there were any questions for Billy and James a broad smile broke out on Dayle's face. It was priceless
I think he felt a little uneasy because the media weren't including the other guys and saw the comedy in the situation

Sadly the media is harsh, they were hoping he would slip up and answer something in a way they could twist and create a story from. It wasn't until someone (Hawthorn person) asked if they had any questions for Billy or James that they asked them anything, even then it was brief before getting back in to Dayle.

The club would have prepared Dayle for this, and he will know the type of questions he'll be asked in the future.

I personally hope the club keeps him out of the media completely for a while, just to let the dust settle and give Dayle time to become comfortable in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back