Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

The Christmas period for Dayle will be a very testing time. Just as young Bradley did when he came home, you get in amongst your mates and their antics and it's very easy to fall very quickly back into bad habits.

If Garlett is a jet like Hilly, that would be something.

In fact, I hope he can outrun the police, and then outrun the opposition like Brad Hill did!

If Garlett is a jet like Hilly, that would be something.

In fact, I hope he can outrun the police, and then outrun the opposition like Brad Hill did!

I will settle for him being able to outrun the opposition - the other he can do without

The only question over his head is "can the kid play?".

All previous indiscretions are forgotten and he gets a clean slate. No one is going to hang the kid for acts of a 17 y.o.
Keep in mind, this is how the Club are treating him.

He is another young recruit on the list who has to work hard to prove himself to wear the jumper. Same for Hartung, Sicily, et. al
There's absolutely no questions over his playing ability!

As excited as I am with our recruitment of Dayle, I'm trying not to expect too much.

Rhan Hooper and Carl Peterson also had talent but for some reason, they couldn't make it at the hawks...I was particularly fond of Peterson and wanted him to succeed so much

only time will tell

As excited as I am with our recruitment of Dayle, I'm trying not to expect too much.

Rhan Hooper and Carl Peterson also had talent but for some reason, they couldn't make it at the hawks...I was particularly fond of Peterson and wanted him to succeed so much

only time will tell
Good points, but I think we have a different situation here.

Rhan Hooper just didn't want to play football, he had to be convinced. I don't see that in Garlett. The kid loves the game, and not getting drafted in 2012 didn't make him go haywire. He hit the WAFL and performed.

Peterson just wasn't good enough to make it. No other reason. Our development is fantastic as a club.

I think since about the 2006 draft, we have gotten the most out of our players. No one has really gone on to bigger and better things outside of the Club, exception for JKennedy, but different circumstances.

What would hurt would be an Ivan Maric, Sam Jacobs type situation where they leave your club and then you see what you're missing

Spoke to a long time member of the recruiting staff of another club about Garlett. He said if the Hawks could keep Garlett's head in the right space, he could be better than Cyril!

champagne_cork_1385836c.jpg

that would be massive wraps to any 1st year player considering Hallahan is 3 years and zero games

He has had 2 years playing against men so he is not the regular kid recruit.
I expect him to play in round 1.

^^Big call!

My theory is this.
If he had played at Box Hill last year and kicked nearly 50 goals, we would have been screaming his name all season to get a game.
It may just be the subs vest, but I expect he will be a regular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My theory is this.
If he had played at Box Hill last year and kicked nearly 50 goals, we would have been screaming his name all season to get a game.
It may just be the subs vest, but I expect he will be a regular.

That may be so, but their is more to AFL than having just an offensive game.....if he can't run both ways then he won't be getting a game at Hawthorn.

That may be so, but their is more to AFL than having just an offensive game.....if he can't run both ways then he won't be getting a game at Hawthorn.

I use to scream for Hill's head because he did not show enough (to me anyway) defensive strengths. But I was wrong, the team was well-drilled and each player played their role. The coaching team are doing really well in backing the kids and making sure the playing group support each other in their different roles. This is why I feel Garlett will get his chance in 2014.

Spoke to someone at the club yesterday and they said that Hartung could probably break into the side before Gartlett at this stage based on the fact that he has the bigger engine thats needed in senior football, if Gartletts numbers improve over the pre season then they could both probably play early in the season.

I think Dayle will be better than Buddy from this point in their careers.

Buddy is cooked.

Dayle is ready to fly.
Now wouldn't that be something. Especially knowing that Sydney won't have the room on their salary cap to poach him, because of their Lancing of funds to get Bud.. what's his name.

Buddy changing teams will have an effect on both clubs' fortunes. My feeling is that without him we have a great deal more freedom and, by committing to him, the swans have reduced their options. I would still like to see him do well because he is a freak talent. But teams win premierships, not individuals and based on the recent recruiting I have a good feeling in my bones for the Hawks of the future. I really feel that back to back is a realistic goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back