Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

4 Brownlow medalists at Hawthorn:

1949 Col Austin (awarded medal retrospectively as back then the player with most BOGs was the winner)
1986 Robert Dipierdomenico (tied with Greg Williams)
1987 John Platten (tied with Tony Lockett)
1999 Shane Crawford
Sam Mitchell also won it legitimately but the AFL are trying to appease some *ahem* certain people.

I wonder if dayle chose 44 because of wirrapunda. He is a massive role model for WA indigenous lads and I see the 44 alot on the backs of indigenous kids wearing wce tops.

I wonder if dayle chose 44 because of wirrapunda. He is a massive role model for WA indigenous lads and I see the 44 alot on the backs of indigenous kids wearing wce tops.
I think it's more likely he's simply a huge Suckling fan, so much so that he wanted his number on his guernsey twice.

I think it's more likely he's simply a huge Suckling fan, so much so that he wanted his number on his guernsey twice.

Or maybe he thinks he is twice as good as Luke Bruest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Christmas period for Dayle will be a very testing time. Just as young Bradley did when he came home, you get in amongst your mates and their antics and it's very easy to fall very quickly back into bad habits.

Because he's started his career at Hawthorn with a question mark over his head.

I couldn't think of anything better for him than knuckling down, having a fantastic few weeks in SA where he works his butt off, builds some strong bonds with the senior players and shows glimpses his talent, as Jed did this time last year.

I've been reading Dipper's autobio and his early years at Hawthorn makes Garlett look like an absolute angel by comparison. He admits that once he knuckled down to the job, the Big Dipper pretty much saved his career and even managed to win an award or two, the name of which escapes me right now. Some sort of league best and fairest thingy?

Anyway, Dayle, just a bit of food for thought. You too could win a league best and fairest thingy and proudly proclaim to family, friends and everyone across Australia - 'Look everyone, a league best and fairest thingy!' Words that every AFL footballer would dream about saying at some point in their careers, I'm sure.*

*Unless you're a forward. Or a defender. Or a ruckman. Or a tagger. Or a teammate of Chris Judd. In which case, you're screwed. :p

The Christmas period for Dayle will be a very testing time. Just as young Bradley did when he came home, you get in amongst your mates and their antics and it's very easy to fall very quickly back into bad habits.

Invite him around for lunch, CP?

Invite him around for lunch, CP?

That wouldn't be a problem if my daughter had her way but I think his girlfriend would have a problem with it

Because he's started his career at Hawthorn with a question mark over his head.

I couldn't think of anything better for him than knuckling down, having a fantastic few weeks in SA where he works his butt off, builds some strong bonds with the senior players and shows glimpses his talent, as Jed did this time last year.

The only question over his head is "can the kid play?".

All previous indiscretions are forgotten and he gets a clean slate. No one is going to hang the kid for acts of a 17 y.o.
Keep in mind, this is how the Club are treating him.

He is another young recruit on the list who has to work hard to prove himself to wear the jumper. Same for Hartung, Sicily, et. al

I've been reading Dipper's autobio and his early years at Hawthorn makes Garlett look like an absolute angel by comparison. He admits that once he knuckled down to the job, the Big Dipper pretty much saved his career and even managed to win an award or two, the name of which escapes me right now. Some sort of league best and fairest thingy?

Anyway, Dayle, just a bit of food for thought. You too could win a league best and fairest thingy and proudly proclaim to family, friends and everyone across Australia - 'Look everyone, a league best and fairest thingy!' Words that every AFL footballer would dream about saying at some point in their careers, I'm sure.*

*Unless you're a forward. Or a defender. Or a ruckman. Or a tagger. Or a teammate of Chris Judd. In which case, you're screwed. :p
Didn't someone, who's name escapes me now, but I think it rhymed with turd, or something like that, win one of those thingies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Pick 38 - Welcome to Hawthorn, Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back