Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Dreamland hey? Similar to Philipou for Soldo?

I’ve said what you said. Keep Lord or set the price and stick to it. If someone comes and offers us a good pick we should take it.

As to depth, we also don’t have any small forward depth - should we retain Evans, McEntee and Narkle just in case? Or if they aren’t up to scratch do we move them on?

Nothing suggests Lord is going to make the grade any more than a draftee. Reality is that a KPP taken in the first round is more likely to make it than one taken in the third round. So any of those players, if taken in the first round, are more likely to make it that Lord - that’s the stats.

Trainor is a KPD right now, so was Naughton. And yes he will go early - you said which KPFs are more likely to make it than Lord. Any KPP taken in the first round is more likely to make it. Armstrong and Trainor should go top ten. Whitlocks somewhere between 12-30. Shanahan 10-25. Fancies yes but that’s the draft.

So yea, if Lord offers us the opportunity to get one of the KPPs in the top 25 then we should do it.

Do I think a club is likely to offer that, despite the dearth of KPP talent - no I don’t. And that kind of tells you how highly clubs rate Lord and what his prospects of making it are.

Everyone suggested we killed any trade value for Ladhams, Hayes, etc etc and that we should have taken those deals for Lobbe, Hartlett, etc. All I’m suggesting is that we apply the same logic to Lord.

Lol, at no point have I ever said that was something that remotely would happen, I’ve simply pointed out that due to the nature of our ruck situation, ie vis being still unknown and sweet having played 10 minutes of good football in front of a fanbase that watched lycett go from hero to villain because we had nobody the coach was willing to play over him when his form went to shit that the only 2 things that would make me move a contracted soldo would be 24 or Phillipou.

But back to what we were talking about.

Nobody is offering a 1st rounder for lord, and the idea that there’s kfs galore we can pick up that are much more certain to make it doesn’t mesh with reality.

2020 - 2022 afl drafts saw

Kfs outside of top 10

Neale
Lord
Van rooyen

From 3 afl drafts. lol.

Now this draft is a deeper kpp draft apparently, but yeah, it doesn’t bode well for claims we’re gonna upgrade lord.

I would actually like to see us draft a kpf in this draft if we can (after we take a mid with an early pick)

But we should be adding that player to our list with lord, not instead of.

Also Shaw and Harvey highlight my point.

Marshall, Georgiades - both first rounders.

Lord, Shaw and Harvey - late second or third rounders.

So if the interest is real and clubs are desperate - get the first rounder or early second. Maybe we have to send something back to get it done.

There’s no reality were we would get a 1st rounder for lord.

No harvey and Shaw do not highlight your point, they go against it. You’ve said we can get a better prospect than lord, history says you cannot accurately make that claim at all.

I’m fairly sure a better kpf than lord will come out of this draft, which one of the handful that gets taken will it be? I dunno, history says the top 10 pick or f/s we have no access to.

No harvey and Shaw do not highlight your point, they go against it. You’ve said we can get a better prospect than lord, history says you cannot accurately make that claim at all.

I’m fairly sure a better kpf than lord will come out of this draft, which one of the handful that gets taken will it be? I dunno, history says the top 10 pick or f/s we have no access to.
Wen past player have talk sons and be elite

My point is the best KPFs, as per the draft stats, are selected in the first round. The fact that Shaw and Harvey didn’t make it support this, as they are not first rounders. It also suggests that Lord is unlikely to make it.

As I’ve said all along, if there is interest in Lord we should trade him for a first rounder or early second rounder. Whether that’s likely or not, doesn’t matter. It’s just the same as you saying we should hold on to Soldo for depth unless we get a great deal. If someone is desperate, they’ll do it.

And yes, if we select a KPP in the first round with a pick we get for Lord, they’ll be a greater chance of making it than Ollie - that’s what the stats show. Doesn’t mean they will and, you’re right, you still have to select em.

Also there have been more KPPs selected than those three outside the top ten. Treacy, Voss, Edwards, Johnson, Jefferson, Gruzewski, Keeler, Lemmey, Foster, Scully. Treacy looks solid. Voss and Gruzewski are highly rated internally. Kinda reinforces the need for those high picks to get the good KPPs.

It’s impossible to put a value on lord, I guess the potential is there to be a really good player but based on the rubbish he produced this year he is worth bugger all. Not really a good time to trade him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Back