Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Still unable to put four quarters together, but I feel hopeful for the lad. Let’s back him in.
Can’t even put one quarter together if we’re being realistic.

Don’t have a lot of hope for him, but happy to give him the chance to prove me wrong given we have no replacements knocking the door down

Only have to look at opposing kfs to see that kf just isn’t a position the league has a big supply in and very few dominate every week.

Most weeks we watch Alir outsmart and beat his opponent 3-10 times a game.

We see that happen to one of our kfs twice and it’s the end of the world.

Today , king and owens weren’t even spotted. GWS hogan and riccardi combined for 1 goal a cpl of weeks ago.

Larkey kicked 1 point.

Chol and dear combined for 3g

Cameron and Hawkins for 2g

You could count on one hand the amount of kfs in the league that consistently kick goals and are strong every week.

For all of alirs great work in defense we all know he would just fail as a kf. He has in the past.

The hardest position to play. Near impossible to draft a top end kf. Near impossible to trade one in.

Anytime we have one that is even remotely serviceable we should be treating them like diamonds.

Back in lord and get games into his legs. There’s very little to lose.

Guy didn’t have much of a start to the season because of injury. He is 22. Most talls hit their peak around 25-27.

He is also a pick 49 so odds of making it as a KPF and next to zero. He Is slow, not that agile, not that fit and has some skill issues. But he does have some mongrel and fight.

Give him games. Let him fight and scrap. Then let him have a proper pre season. And reassess. Sure if someone comes with a crazy good trade offer then sign the paperwork. Otherwise back him in.

Only have to look at opposing kfs to see that kf just isn’t a position the league has a big supply in and very few dominate every week.

Most weeks we watch Alir outsmart and beat his opponent 3-10 times a game.

We see that happen to one of our kfs twice and it’s the end of the world.

Today , king and owens weren’t even spotted. GWS hogan and riccardi combined for 1 goal a cpl of weeks ago.

Larkey kicked 1 point.

Chol and dear combined for 3g

Cameron and Hawkins for 2g

You could count on one hand the amount of kfs in the league that consistently kick goals and are strong every week.

For all of alirs great work in defense we all know he would just fail as a kf. He has in the past.

The hardest position to play. Near impossible to draft a top end kf. Near impossible to trade one in.

Anytime we have one that is even remotely serviceable we should be treating them like diamonds.

Back in lord and get games into his legs. There’s very little to lose.
Since coming back to the team late last year he has played 35 quarters of footy and in 22 of those he kicked no goals and had 2 or less touches.

So 2/3rd of the time he is on ground he has negligible impact on the game.

I totally get that, especially as a young KPF, he’s going to have games with minimal scoreboard impact. Hell kicking 30 in a season is seen as an ok return these days. I’m just concerned that he has no way of impacting games if he hasn’t taken a mark or been given a free.

Lord must play every game from now on in this season
He is only 22
How many 22 yr olds have ruled the AFL.
How old was Tredrea when he controled our forward line

Lord must play every game from now on in this season
He is only 22
How many 22 yr olds have ruled the AFL.
How old was Tredrea when he controled our forward line
Actually a number of future star key forwards show early form from age 18-22. But there certainly is a group for whom it takes longer.

Ollie has drive and is therefore worth persisting with. He does need to find a way to impact more consistently and to stay in games longer.

Since coming back to the team late last year he has played 35 quarters of footy and in 22 of those he kicked no goals and had 2 or less touches.

So 2/3rd of the time he is on ground he has negligible impact on the game.

I totally get that, especially as a young KPF, he’s going to have games with minimal scoreboard impact. Hell kicking 30 in a season is seen as an ok return these days. I’m just concerned that he has no way of impacting games if he hasn’t taken a mark or been given a free.

If he doesn’t take marks he doesn’t make as much of an impact, he’s not as well rounded a kf like Todd , or get up the ground much. He’s a bit more limited. still , if we want kfs we have to build them, no one is going to hand them to us.

Also, this might shock a few people, gun superstar couldn’t pry him out from bulldogs with $1.5m and butters on the table Aaron Naughton has kicked 1 or less goals 5 times this year.

if that’s what superstars do we prob need to look at our expectations for developing kfs.

I’m not sold on lord being a gun, there’s a lot of ground to make up to get there, but gee I think he can easily make it to serviceable kf and when the alternative is is no one cause kfs don’t grow on trees and teams like north and saints who have had a billionty early picks struggle to find them what hope do we have.

Best case scenario lord develops into a larkey / Mitch lewis clone. Worst case he’s out of the league prob having got less games than any of mcintee / Neade got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn’t take marks he doesn’t make as much of an impact, he’s not as well rounded a kf like Todd , or get up the ground much. He’s a bit more limited. still , if we want kfs we have to build them, no one is going to hand them to us.

Also, this might shock a few people, gun superstar couldn’t pry him out from bulldogs with $1.5m and butters on the table Aaron Naughton has kicked 1 or less goals 5 times this year.

if that’s what superstars do we prob need to look at our expectations for developing kfs.

I’m not sold on lord being a gun, there’s a lot of ground to make up to get there, but gee I think he can easily make it to serviceable kf and when the alternative is is no one cause kfs don’t grow on trees and teams like north and saints who have had a billionty early picks struggle to find them what hope do we have.

Best case scenario lord develops into a larkey / Mitch lewis clone. Worst case he’s out of the league prob having got less games than any of mcintee / Neade got.
Naughton isn’t a superstar. Even Bulldogs fans have been crying for him to be shifted to CHB as they don’t think he’s good enough as a forward.

In the end, I agree with your sentiment that we should be giving games to these guys to give ourselves the best chance of making the right call. I’m just saying I have very little confidence that Lord plays 50 games.

I enjoyed his Pendlebury moment in the third quarter where he just wandered around on the spot for about 5 seconds while everyone ran around him, then hit up Finlayson with a pass.

I called it a Bagshaw moment at the time but decided to contemporise that comparison. :D

I enjoyed his Pendlebury moment in the third quarter where he just wandered around on the spot for about 5 seconds while everyone ran around him, then hit up Finlayson with a pass.

I called it a Bagshaw moment at the time but decided to contemporise that comparison. :D
I said to the wife he has no business being that nonchalant

Felt like he got caught playing from behind all day today. Hopefully with a full uninterrupted pre-season he can put on some size and start holding front position. He is actually quite athletic for a guy of his size.

He is everything Marshall isn’t… the blokes calling for Marshall’s axing are also calling for Lord’s…

He competes and attacks the ball at its highest point, he spoils from behind and doesn’t let opposition easily intercept mark the pill. Persist, he will be very handy in 18 months

The Lord, Marshall, Georgiardis combo is going to be ok. None are big dominant types, but they all offer some differences are mobile and each of them can probably get a couple of goals reliably per week.

Naughton isn’t a superstar. Even Bulldogs fans have been crying for him to be shifted to CHB as they don’t think he’s good enough as a forward.

In the end, I agree with your sentiment that we should be giving games to these guys to give ourselves the best chance of making the right call. I’m just saying I have very little confidence that Lord plays 50 games.

Naughton has been lauded as a superstar. Any team after him would have to offer 7 figures and one of their best players.

And despite that quality, he’s still up and down as a player , like all kfs bar maybe the generational 2 or 3 at their peak

The reason some dogs fans suggest moving him back is because they have a bog average to outright spud collection of key defenders and an unreal collection of high draft pick kfs we could only dream of having.

He’s got a long way to go but we’re not exactly brimming with better options.

....and we have hitched our train to Charlie for how many years?

Did you notice yesterday one of the commentators mentioned something about the way we hit the forward line with long kicks into the pack, I mean I yelled at the tv 'Bomb it in is Ken's game plan'...... faaaark....

I can'rt wait for ken to be gone to see what happens to our forward line.

Actually a number of future star key forwards show early form from age 18-22. But there certainly is a group for whom it takes longer.

Ollie has drive and is therefore worth persisting with. He does need to find a way to impact more consistently and to stay in games longer.
If only there were a way of combining his mongrel with Todd's talent.

you're taking the piss right?

Marshall well rounded KF, I've heard it all now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back