Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I’m entirely comfortable excusing our young players and accounting their underperformance to Hinkley.

Yeah right.

So the players, young or old, have no accountability it is all down to the Coach? That is a recipe for failure.

I do not excuse Hinkley but the players have to be held accountable.

Yeah right.

So the players, young or old, have no accountability it is all down to the Coach? That is a recipe for failure.

I do not excuse Hinkley but the players have to be held accountable.
Accountable for what? Ollie Lord isn’t shirking contests. He’s part of a proven failed system, how’s it his fault?

I think the big question is: is he the best option at his position? I'd rather see him out there than Charlie and our other talls are far more movement based rather than the contested marking target Ollie is. He's 22, he's not keeping anyone better out of the side, and he's doing his job. Back him in.

Would've thought getting a game into him before finals incase Dorothy Dixon falls over last minute (again). The ruck situation would've have been dire if we went with Sweet/Lord. Reidy played only his second AFL game yesterday and Jackson isn't damaging either... They struggle without Sean Darcy. Vis will be an excellent ruck in a couple years but we needed a forward yesterday, perfect conditions. Did Lord definitely travel with the team to Perth?

Would've thought getting a game into him before finals incase Dorothy Dixon falls over last minute (again). The ruck situation would've have been dire if we went with Sweet/Lord. Reidy played only his second AFL game yesterday and Jackson isn't damaging either... They struggle without Sean Darcy. Vis will be an excellent ruck in a couple years but we needed a forward yesterday, perfect conditions. Did Lord definitely travel with the team to Perth?
Technically Visentini jumped a few big blokes by being picked yesterday.

Things change but it is definitely a vote of confidence in the young man with finals around the corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as a forward he didn't
The thing is they could've played Lord who is a forward and 2nd ruck but they went with Vis who is a ruck who can play forward.

The coaching staff though he could do enough forward but be an out and out ruck when put in there.

Quite interesting really especially so late in the season.

Id say give him next season as an ultimatum - Our structure seems to have changed to where it might complement him going into the Sav role and with Dixon being on his last glass ankles I think he'd be a welcome inclusion forwards. He might flourish under a new coach if we decide to go a different direction that works to his strengths rather than Hinkleyball.

However I dont think we'd be complaining if we traded him along with pick swaps to Geelong

I’ll knock Ken and the coaching group for many of things, not pumping games into Lorenz after the Brisbane match is #1. Hugh Jackson having not debuted #2, fitness is an issue there. But they did play Lord a good handful of matches this year, even probably underdone with the preseason setback and, at times should have played Visintini more, but he gave him a run before the finals and in a role he is not familiar with.

The coaching group can not be held to account if we supporters aren’t holding ourselves to the same standards. Well done on playing a white hot Visintini as a big key forward and getting a good 10 games into Lord this year.

With some luck, Lord puts on another 10kgs and get through the running and match sim injury free and can launch into Round 1 2025 as a big aggressive Key Forward who attacks the ball at its highest point.

Like him, but needs to get involved more. Hasn’t really progressed beyond single digit disposal games, with the odd 2 goal game. Don’t think delisting him this year would be the right call, but next year will be very important for him.

Kind of feel his 4 goal game against Harris Andrews was a fluke.

Think with Ollie it is confidence and structure.

Has the build and some tools just needs to feel he belongs which takes a while and some games.
Also being asked to play from behind and bring it to ground which doesn't help his strengths or his confidence.

Can he make it. Yes I think he can. Will he in our team not 100% sure.

Still a young fellow though.

Again, let’s temper expectations. Done what’s been asked of him in a forward line we all agree is dysfunctional. Kicked 4 in a final on one of the Best defenders in the comp. Had an interrupted preseason and played under done the first few weeks.

Like others have said confidence is King.

Let’s see how he can launch in 2025 after an injury free run throughout summer.

Again, let’s temper expectations.
While I don't really agree with straight calling him a bust and trade/delist, lets get some reality here.

Done what’s been asked of him in a forward line we all agree is dysfunctional.
He didn't do what was asked of him. He played behind and was often outmarked this year.
This is a big step backwards on last year, where Ollie Lord was competing and not being out marked.
Had an interrupted preseason and played under done the first few weeks.

Like others have said confidence is King.

Let’s see how he can launch in 2025 after an injury free run throughout summer.
He injured his leg at training in mid-March. Like two or three weeks out from the season start. Thats not an interrupted preseason.

He wasn't in the post 2023 season surgery list.

While I don't really agree with straight calling him a bust and trade/delist, lets get some reality here.

He didn't do what was asked of him. He played behind and was often outmarked this year.
This is a big step backwards on last year, where Ollie Lord was competing and not being out marked.

He injured his leg at training in mid-March. Like two or three weeks out from the season start. Thats not an interrupted preseason.

He wasn't in the post 2023 season surgery list.
Was he not tasked with stopping the Key Back from intercept marking across half back? Did that well…

Sorry I was mid pump but the kids came in, I guess we had intercourse let’s hope she conceives…

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Back