Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

He stepped up, simple as that. He and Butters took ownership and played like leaders trying to get their teammates up. Hopefully the penny has dropped and Connor is going to make today’s performance the norm from now on.

I do think there's something to the fact he was played more on the ball today and suddenly his output increases significantly. Like you said between him and Butters they nearly carried the rest of the team over the line.

Took an injury to Wines to get Rozee into the guts of it - I hope he continues to get time there. He is wasted as a high half forward who runs around like a prima donna without exactly doing anything of substance.

I do think there's something to the fact he was played more on the ball today and suddenly his output increases significantly. Like you said between him and Butters they nearly carried the rest of the team over the line.

Took an injury to Wines to get Rozee into the guts of it - I hope he continues to get time there. He is wasted as a high half forward who runs around like a prima donna without exactly doing anything of substance.
I'm beginning to wonder about the value of playing a high half forward. If you have a player who naturally plays the position well, great. Otherwise it just seems to be a graveyard for extremely talented players who end up running around a lot without contributing much of anything. I'd like to see some of our high half forwards tried as low three quarter forwards as an experiment.

Given where the season’s at, Boaky might need to accept playing a bit more across HF too to allow Butters and Rozee the chance to develop their midfield craft.
Boak is the last player I would want at high half forward if they insist on playing one. I would rather play Wines there to give Butters esp more time in the middle. At least Ollie is a great contested grab and can kick for goal.

Boak is the last player I would want at high half forward if they insist on playing one. I would rather play Wines there to give Butters esp more time in the middle. At least Ollie is a great contested grab and can kick for goal.
I agree on Boak but not about taking the reining Brownlow Medalist out of the midfeild.

Boak is still doing well in the midfield so I’d leave him in . There’s room for Rozee as well , hopefully he got some confidence from last week and keeps performing like that , I see he got our most coaches votes last week

Did you actually just suggest not playing Wines in the midfield? Good lord

Rozee has a case of the Wingards.

Once they get a taste of being in the middle, they seem to completely forget how to play as a forward.

Only Gray has managed to work the forward - midfielder - forward moves seamlessly.

But Gray is a champion.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Rozee has a case of the Wingards.

Once they get a taste of being in the middle, they seem to completely forget how to play as a forward.

Only Gray has managed to work the forward - midfielder - forward moves seamlessly.

But Gray is a champion.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Just remember Gray didn’t break out until he was 26.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just remember Gray didn’t break out until he was 26.
Robbie broke out well before he was 26. He lost a year when he was 24 with his ACL and at 25 he was making a comeback from his ACL.

At 26 he went from having a lot of potential with a lot of injuries to delivering week in week out at an extremely high level. From debut in Rd 10 2007 to ACL in Rd 4 2012, Robbie he played 70 games and missed 43 with injuries.

Robbie broke out well before he was 26. He lost a year when he was 24 with his ACL and at 25 he was making a comeback from his ACL.

At 26 he went from having a lot of potential with a lot of injuries to delivering week in week out at an extremely high level. From debut in Rd 10 2007 to ACL in Rd 4 2012, Robbie he played 70 games and missed 43 with injuries.
The definition of a breakout.

Just to clarify we're talking about breaking out to the elite level, which Robbie did in 2014.

Deservedly got the Badcoe Medal tonight. Looks a pure midfielder. Great disposal tonight and his speed through the middle was really apparent.

I don’t know if he's going to be doing this on a consistent basis but my word he's the type of player they must persist with in midfield. He has the ability and the pure speed to be a true game breaker in the mould of the other elite mids of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back