Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Players with 30+ direct goal involvements this season. (Goal + Goal Assist)

DBJ 44 (22 Goals + 22 Assists)
Georgiades 43 (37 G + 6 A)
JHF 38 (19 G + 19 A)
T.Marshall 34 (20 G + 14 A)
Rioli 31 (24 G + 7 A)

Players with 40+ direct goal involvements this season. (Goal + Goal Assist)

DBJ 50 (25 Goals + 25 Assists)
Georgiades 43 (37 G + 6 A)
JHF 42 (23 G + 19 A)

Unfairly maligned by many here IMO. Has he had some bad games this year? Absolutely .. Just about everyone in the team says "Hi" in that regards! But he is proving to be a valuable player in his role, and seems to be getting better as the year progresses.
Great shout out, Tibbs.

He's been quietly pretty good and finishes well.

Unfairly maligned by many here IMO. Has he had some bad games this year? Absolutely .. Just about everyone in the team says "Hi" in that regards! But he is proving to be a valuable player in his role, and seems to be getting better as the year progresses.
He also has a tendency to kick the goals that matter. In fact I reckon you could mount a case he's the most clutch goal kicker in the side post Roberto.

As I may have mentioned (once or twice) - I selected DBJ as my buddy this year.

Basically he's been a favourite of mine ever since he scored that goal with blood streaming down the side of his face.

Whilst he can fade in and out of matches a bit I tend to think he is largely underrated here.
Having a good season and has the happy knack of being a pretty reliable goal scorer.

The other reason I selected him as a buddy was the number 33, I was always a Darren Mead and Brett Ebert fan, and like them, DBJ comes across as the reliable team man without being an outright star that all teams need to be successful.

As I may have mentioned (once or twice) - I selected DBJ as my buddy this year.

Basically he's been a favourite of mine ever since he scored that goal with blood streaming down the side of his face.

Whilst he can fade in and out of matches a bit I tend to think he is largely underrated here.
Having a good season and has the happy knack of being a pretty reliable goal scorer.

The other reason I selected him as a buddy was the number 33, I was always a Darren Mead and Brett Ebert fan, and like them, DBJ comes across as the reliable team man without being an outright star that all teams need to be successful.
Who was 33 between Ebert and DBJ? having a mental blank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally forgot Ebo went around in 13. Couldn't get on the park, was only 29 too.

Brett Ebert and Nick Salter were both on the list, and Liam Jurrah flunked his audition in January for non-football related reasons.

There’s an alternate universe where the 2013 Port Adelaide forward line — any mixture of Schulz, Westhoff, Wingard, Monfries, Gray, Butcher, Neade plus those 3 — is the greatest show on turf.

He also has a tendency to kick the goals that matter. In fact I reckon you could mount a case he's the most clutch goal kicker in the side post Roberto.
Agree, he is also a slippery & wiry sucker, that seems to get to improbable positions & contests. While Rioli cops a lot of tagging attention from oppo sides, I reckon he goes under their radar a bit, so tends to get of the leash at times. He is a dangerous player that can punish opposition sides!

Agree, he is also a slippery & wiry sucker, that seems to get to improbable positions & contests. While Rioli cops a lot of tagging attention from oppo sides, I reckon he goes under their radar a bit, so tends to get of the leash at times. He is a dangerous player that can punish opposition sides!
Wiry and wily. Picks his moment and channel to run beautifully.

Brett Ebert and Nick Salter were both on the list, and Liam Jurrah flunked his audition in January for non-football related reasons.

There’s an alternate universe where the 2013 Port Adelaide forward line — any mixture of Schulz, Westhoff, Wingard, Monfries, Gray, Butcher, Neade plus those 3 — is the greatest show on turf.
Nick Salter man, I had the highest of hopes. Botched foot op :(

Having an underrated season. Kicking 25 goals with one round left in the H&A as a defensive forward is a pretty good return. If you also add the assists, a real good return. Still has to bridge the gap between his best and worst. Having said that, at least he is getting involved in the play unlike a certain player who is said by Chad Cornes to be a coachable player who offers little blocks and gets single digit possessions.

Nick Salter man, I had the highest of hopes. Botched foot op :(

Chatted with him back at the club after a game once. Lovely fella.

Yet another one of those marginal guys we had who just seemed to have zero luck when an opportunity arose.

Even on that amazing debut he had. 2 fantastic goals for a leading forward, then concussed and off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back