News Pick 54: James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Pick 54:

He may not have lived up to the hype of his junior years, but you have just concluded that it was totally due to a poor work ethic. What a ridiculous statement. And where's the proof of the obvious talent?

By his own admission, the one thing that he lacked was self confidence.

Confidence is a wonderful thing in sport. Hopefully the kid can find his feet and be a solid player for us.

He was one of the most highly rated players in 06, but dropped significantly due to interviewing really, really poorly (he was very, very full of himself apparently).

I honestly like the pick up, we have nothing to lose.

If Sellar had maintained a good work ethic he would have found himself a best 22 spot.

He was one of the most highly rated players in 06, but dropped significantly due to interviewing really, really poorly (he was very, very full of himself apparently).

I honestly like the pick up, we have nothing to lose.

If Sellar had maintained a good work ethic he would have found himself a best 22 spot.
A 17 year old kid doesn't interview well and is full of himself, what a joke. These interviews are such rubbish. How does anything you say have any impact to how you will train and prepare as an AFL player when you are 20 or 25. What they should do is interview relevant people and find out how much the kid wants to make it and what they have sacrificed to do so, not ask them a bunch of stupid questions.

All reports from Adelaide are that he's been a great trainer and club man for the last few years at least. The simple fact is that some players do work hard but don't make it and so what we will do for Sellar is to get him to work smarter not harder and increase his belief.

Psych-testing isn't rubbish.

Just ask the numerous recruiters who have passed on players purely for average psych-tests.

Talented players who work hard don't get delisted.

It's as simple as that.

He was touted as a potential top three pick in 06; a very, very good draft.

As I said, I think it's a smart pick-up... but those who are thinking this is another sign of Neeld bringing about a competitive and hard-working culture are drawing the wrong bow.

Neeld's already doing that without a 23 year old KPP who has shown next to nothing in his AFL career.

TPM, with all due respect, you can't use that as a real rationale.

Listen to what some of the Adelaide supporters are saying here.

I can't see Craig and Viney making this call so early in the Neeld administration without having a belief that Sellar can/will put in.

but those who are thinking this is another sign of Neeld bringing about a competitive and hard-working culture are drawing the wrong bow.
Neeld is bringing that in irrespective.

Also, not withstanding the fact that you said yourself that this was about making other players earn their spots it isn't just about that.

It's about redundancy, it's about a mature body, it's about giving a player a 2nd chance in a (what will be) high performance environment, it's an indicator that our general game strategy will probably be quite clear and simple (although demanding), it's about mabo, it's the vibe...

I agree with you; some people seem to be stating that Sellar's work ethic will influence others.

What I'm saying is, he doesn't have a proven work ethic.

He's there to put pressure on our KPP's at both ends, he's there so that we can still have some structure if a KPP goes down.

That's all good; and I'm more than happy to give him a chance.

Some of the unbridled optimism about an underachieving player has caught me off guard to be honest.

Underachievers are underachievers for a reason, you can't sugar coat it.

I don't think us selecting him is a rubber stamp of his work ethic (we selected him with our last pick in a draft that BP declared was the weakest he's come across), Neeld comes across as very confident in his ability to influence others.

Going on the fact he hasn't amounted to anything despite obvious talent.

You're telling me he's put his head down and worked hard every season he was at Adelaide?

Or that he just started to work hard when his future was in doubt?

One equates to a strong work ethic; the other doesn't.

I think you trying to cover your arse now. Sounds like your guessing cause you dont really know much or anything about him except from 5 years ago as a 17 year old? Give a guy a break and enjoy the possible benefits he could bring to your team.

For the last 3 of the 5 years he has done as I said before, work extremely hard. Everytime he got into the team he showed he could make it, but had a few injury problems. Do not worry about him putting in the hard work. He is a top bloke, sorry to intrude onto your board, he had a rough time at the crows who managed him so poorly, but there are a lot of people over here who rate him. (Craigy, Rehn, Rowey and even 'the Chad') 3 of those have coached him and the other is a team mate at the Bay.

When have I not said I'm willing to give him a chance?

I've watched a bit of his SANFL performances and to be completely honest he hadn't impressed me with his in game work ethic until this season, you could sense a bit more maturity about him.

I don't think us selecting him is a rubber stamp of his work ethic
I don't necessarily think that either but I don't see the point in taking a counter position in assuming he didn't/doesn't have one either.

It's not all black and white, perhaps at Adelaide he was middle of the road in his application - who knows?

FWIW do you really believe your new coach Neeld, Craigy and Viney would recruit a guy with a history of so called attitude problems? Do you have no faith at all in your club?
If you have watched Sellar at all in the last 3 years you would not be able to say what you are about him. Beginning of last year he played 1 quarter of footy in the first round i think it was. he had 8 or 9 possies at 100% before getting an injuy that kept him out for about 4-6 weeks. 3 years ago he played backup ruckman with about 40% game time for about 10 games and improved in every game and was actually becoming a real part of the teams contributions, when the season ended. They are the facts as I remember about the last 3 years of James Sellar.
Feel free to abuse me if end of years comes and he is a dud, but if he is a success as i believe he will be for your club, then I expect i will not hear from you at all, but enjoy the ride anyway and best of luck except when you play the Crows.;)

I don't necessarily think that either but I don't see the point in taking a counter position in assuming he didn't/doesn't have one either.

It's not all black and white, perhaps at Adelaide he was middle of the road in his application - who knows?

Fair point, I've gone to an extreme.

I don't think that's relevant, if we think he's a player we can shape then I'd expect the club to chase him.

I have no concerns over his attitude (I'm confident Neeld will change that), I'm just trying to give those who are spruiking this as a great pick-up a bit of a reality check.

For me it's a 50/50.

I think he's about 70/30 of doing his job, which will be to keep pressure for spots in the talls position and to fill in as needed and capably. If that's all he does then he's still worth the pick.

I think he's about 30/70 to actually become a 5 year plus AFL player. If he does that then he's a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, our history of recruits from Adelaide is very good. ie. Ingerson, Collins, Vardy. Not Meeson though!

Psych-testing isn't rubbish.

Just ask the numerous recruiters who have passed on players purely for average psych-tests.

Talented players who work hard don't get delisted.

It's as simple as that.

He was touted as a potential top three pick in 06; a very, very good draft.

As I said, I think it's a smart pick-up... but those who are thinking this is another sign of Neeld bringing about a competitive and hard-working culture are drawing the wrong bow.

Neeld's already doing that without a 23 year old KPP who has shown next to nothing in his AFL career.

The same Psych testing that had us picking Scully as a better recruit than Dustin Martin, our recruiters thought Scully was a man of integrity and character whilst Martin was a bit arrogant and unproffesional. Go Psych Testing:thumbsu:

I see what your doing TPM your trying play the devils advocate and basically point out that the bloke was delisted for a reason. But hey, look where Stef Martin was 12 months ago and lets just see what this lad can do for us.

No doubt, I'm open to him coming in and having a crack.

But I don't see the point in talking him up until he deserves it.

Fair point about the psych testing.

Sellar is a good pick up in a shallow draft and well worth the punt. Has loads of athletic ability but never got the opportunity to use it in one spot for an extended period of time at Adelaide. Worked his arse off when he got his chances with us, but would go back to Glenelg when Tippett or Rutten came back in and get played out of position. You'll find most Adelaide supporters were resigned to seeing him go, but at the same time would have been happier to see him have a year under the new coach.

As I've said many times - he's only 22, which people forget because he was at our club for so long. Has just grown into his body, and has a tantalizing knack of grabbing enough big marks to make you think he can do it every time. Is also impressively quick for a man of his size and has a great leap. He's a confidence player though, and won't put it all together without a few games to feel like he belongs. But if he does, I get the feeling there will be quite a few upset Adelaide supporters and some very happy Melbourne ones.

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone has already said this, but from my point of view we've just drafted a younger Brad Miller that lacks Brad's most valuable asset... His missus.

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone has already said this, but from my point of view we've just drafted a younger Brad Miller that lacks Brad's most valuable asset... His missus.

Apparently he is being groomed as a new CHB. not forward.

This freeing up Garland to be that rebounding defender maybe. with Frawley on another tall and Rivers Floating as the 3rd up down back. Obviously garland can take a 3rd tall also.

He apparently also played quite well towards the end of this year in the SANFL down back by a few reports.

Big diff between the two, for mine at least, is Miller hoped he could play. Sellar believes he can.

I'm not making sense of all the positive reports from Crow fans.

After losing Gunston, Bock, Davis, (one other I've forgotten) and possibly Tippet, and without drafting any replacement talls - surely Adelaide didn't think Sellar was any good at all?

Were there perhaps any other issues at play?

I'm not making sense of all the positive reports from Crow fans.

After losing Gunston, Bock, Davis, (one other I've forgotten) and possibly Tippet, and without drafting any replacement talls - surely Adelaide didn't think Sellar was any good at all?

Were there perhaps any other issues at play?
It's a strange one. From reading reports, he strung some good games together in 2009 as a back-up ruckman. Since then, Griffin and Maric have left and Moran has retired. They picked up Jacobs, but not sure who their back-up ruckmen are. Just not sure if he was good enough as a key forward.

As a key backman, there was no place for him with Rutten playing on the gorillas. And I think that this is the role that we see in him. Remember, Neeld had said that he identified certain holes in our list that he wanted the recruiters to address. This is clearly one.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Pick 54: James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back