News Pick 54: James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a genuine tall KP at 196, Frawley, Rivers, Garland all only 192-193 iirc, basically a replacement for Warnock I think, and sounds like he has better skills. I think our list is pretty well stocked for talls going forward, and guys like Sellar, Martin, Clark all capable of playing ruck/forward or back, Frawley/Garland can play small/tall gives us a lot of flexibility and back up options if injuries occur, worth a punt at 54 in a weak draft no doubt, although I wouldn't expect much.

Happy enough with the other picks too, saw that Taggert is following Trengove at training, be good to see him slot into the midfield as he also has a bit of size about him.

Tynan living with Grimes can only be a good thing too.

Re. Sellar, I think the most promising news is that (as Misson has stated) he has basically slotted straight into training with the main squad. I'm starting to see him as a direct replacement for Warnock, pure defensive depth; happy with that personally.

Quality defensive depth is hugely important, who do we bring in if Garland Rivers or god forbid Frawley goes down?

Pretty sure the Aim is as i have been calling for another true KPB to play with Frawley at CHB. Rivers and Garland are both 3rd talls.

So we end up with a
Bartram Frawley Rivers
????? Sellar Garland

Effect being Garland can play as the running defender or 3/4th man up, he is training with the midfielders at the moment.

I have no doubt that Neeld remembers the way we were monstered by Cloke and Dawes against the Pies, good teams will do this to rivers and garland at times.

I'd prefer to see him replace rather than be alongside Rivers (be better than him).

I'd prefer to see him replace rather than be alongside Rivers (be better than him).

Rivers was 2nd or 3rd in the BaF so i dont think he desrves to be replaced presonally.

Just move him to become a 3rd Tall up, which is where he is best, he is a great mark especially when he isnt wrestling someone, just flying in from the side ect.

And as i said Garland as a 3rd tall also type who can rebound?

Rivers was 2nd or 3rd in the BaF so i dont think he desrves to be replaced presonally.

Just move him to become a 3rd Tall up, which is where he is best, he is a great mark especially when he isnt wrestling someone, just flying in from the side ect.

And as i said Garland as a 3rd tall also type who can rebound?

So Rivers and Garland will be playing 3rd tall.

Garland has also the added strings of providing rebound and attack from half back so we really don't need 2. Rivers is the odd one out if Sellar does do something.

Garland has also the added strings of providing rebound and attack from half back so we really don't need 2. Rivers is the odd one out if Sellar does do something.

Surely it all depends on the opposition of the week.

If we come up against Collingwood for expample, Dawes and Cloke may require Frawley and Sellar, whereas if we come up against Adelaide, Rives may be the best matchup on Tippet.

If that's all Sellar offers, then it's a waste of a pick. I'm pretty sure that Neeld and co. would want a far better version than Warnock.
Warnock proved himself a competent AFL player and far too good at VFL level. From all reports, Sellar couldn't even establish himself at SANFL level.

We'd be happy to see Sellar reach Warnock's level in 2012 IMO.

Sellar in action in round 6 (SANFL) this year.

His highlights start at about 3:30 mins and go through to about 5:45 mins.

I like his skills by both hand and foot - quick release, accurate, and gets his trajectory nice and flat for a big guy. I dont like him as a ruckman, but his awareness/vision in the tapouts/congestion is also impressive.

One grab contested marks at 4:44 mins and 5:15 mins excite me most though.

[YOUTUBE]3ZUN6ujAS_k&feature=player_embedded#![/YOUTUBE]

From all reports he was being stuffed around at SANFL level. Playing Ruck, FF, CHF, HFF, Wing, FB, and anywhere but CHB which is his preferred position, because the team he played with had too many talls.

I'm not expecting him to be as defensively strong as Warnock, but I am expecting him to be cleaner with the ball. I think that's a trade off we all wish Warnock could have made.

Sellar in action in round 6 (SANFL) this year.

His highlights start at about 3:30 mins and go through to about 5:45 mins.

I like his skills by both hand and foot - quick release, accurate, and gets his trajectory nice and flat for a big guy. I dont like him as a ruckman, but his awareness/vision in the tapouts/congestion is also impressive.

One grab contested marks at 4:44 mins and 5:15 mins excite me most though.

[youtube]3ZUN6ujAS_k&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

That's a great little package the Crows put together of all their listed players playing in the SANFL. I wonder if MFC could put together something like that from Casey games instead of the goal highlights we get where you've got little idea who you are looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Pick 54:

He was one of the most highly rated players in 06, but dropped significantly due to interviewing really, really poorly (he was very, very full of himself apparently).

I honestly like the pick up, we have nothing to lose.

If Sellar had maintained a good work ethic he would have found himself a best 22 spot.
Actually, he dropped in the draft order because he missed the state champs due to a virus, which dented his confidence. The interviewing poorly statement is a load of rubbish, and I have no idea where you got that from. Has always been a bloke who you'd love to have at your club, it was just a pity he couldn't succeed at the Crows. Absolute ripper bloke.

It's a strange one. From reading reports, he strung some good games together in 2009 as a back-up ruckman. Since then, Griffin and Maric have left and Moran has retired. They picked up Jacobs, but not sure who their back-up ruckmen are. Just not sure if he was good enough as a key forward.

As a key backman, there was no place for him with Rutten playing on the gorillas. And I think that this is the role that we see in him. Remember, Neeld had said that he identified certain holes in our list that he wanted the recruiters to address. This is clearly one.
We also picked up Josh Jenkins in the trade period from the Bombers, who is highly rated. And then we have Dowdell as a project ruckman. And you can't discount Tippett and Mckernan, more so Mckernan, as options to help out Jacobs. We are fine in the big man department, and the recruitment of Johnston and Lynch helps fill our key position stocks.

If he makes it it'll be as a key back. He's a real confidence player Jimmy. He did alright as a backman in the couple of games he got played there. In an ideal world he'd be a ruckman, however he needed an extra 5cm. He'd make a really really good 2nd ruck though, you guys have Martin already who seems to be the man for the role. It's in the head with Sellar. He's got decent athleticism for a KPP player- he's probably not that agile but he's got adequate straight line speed. It's not that he can't kick, he can't read the play etc. He does those things okay. It's just mentally he's... fragile in a sense. He just can't seem to put together a good game. He's never ripped a game apart in the 5 years he was on our list, from SANFL ressies to seniors, he's never really had one stand out match.

His work ethic is good, when he was first drafted, and maybe the first year or 2 there were question marks in that area but he's cleaned himself up and would've been one of the hardest workers there is. Apparently he's had some personal issues to deal with which may have hindered him. So why do I think he's most suited to the backline? Well for Jimmy I think it's best if things were kept as simple as possible. The less instructions the better. So if you play him in the backline, just tell him to stick to his man like glue. Also the straight line running as a key defender would suit him. I don't think he's go the footy nous/goal sense/x factor to play a key forward. Maybe he could pinch hit there and play a role ala Leroy Brown style to provide a contest but he just doesn't have the goods up forward.

Anyway, all the best to the big man. I sincerely hope he does well and gets a chance. He's still only relatively young, he could be one that matures later. In my opinion I would've given him an extra year at the crows, however I guess with Lynch and Johnston coming in that wasn't going to happen. He's a good back up to have, good pick up for mine.

Dont be so naive.

If you think that you can get through a season with 3 actual talls well done you know nothing. If you think Rivers isnt one of the better defensive marks in our team, then again you are stupid....

Garland or Rivers will either be 3rd or 4th tall, as i said Garland HAS been training with the midfielders so will likely be the running back player out of defence still capable to playing on a decent forward.

I'd rather force McDonald to be better than this guy.

I agree, but i have read on demonland atleast that Tom is training with the forward group, atleast so far, never heard him being in the defensive group?

assuming Neeld has something planned for him.....i really liked him in defence last year though, maybe he is a really good forward ;)

tweeted he's in #30

"@sellardoor28 Given guernsey #30 first worn by M Maguire 1912; Peter Moore won a brownlow in it in '84 and more recently worn by S Godfrey @melbournefc"

If you think that you can get through a season with 3 actual talls well done you know nothing. If you think Rivers isnt one of the better defensive marks in our team, then again you are stupid....

Garland or Rivers will either be 3rd or 4th tall, as i said Garland HAS been training with the midfielders so will likely be the running back player out of defence still capable to playing on a decent forward.

Don't make up shit to suit your very weak argument.

Nowhere did i say we can go through a season with only three talls?

And when did i say Rivers can't mark?

Fact is, Read slowly so your simple mind can process: Rivers isn't strong enough to go with gorillas or quick enough to go with athletic talls. He also isn't a great rebounding footballer and has skills that lead to turnovers so one has to question his worth going forward?

Third man needs to have some offensive skills and Rivers doesn't.

Take your time simpleton.

Don't make up shit to suit your very weak argument.

Nowhere did i say we can go through a season with only three talls?

And when did i say Rivers can't mark?

Fact is, Read slowly so your simple mind can process: Rivers isn't strong enough to go with gorillas or quick enough to go with athletic talls. He also isn't a great rebounding footballer and has skills that lead to turnovers so one has to question his worth going forward?

Third man needs to have some offensive skills and Rivers doesn't.

Take your time simpleton.

well we were talking about Defenders, and you never mentioned Rivers "going forward". Good timing to come up with it now.

Also Rivers had one of his best season this year, finishes 2nd in the BaF so the coaches really do agree.

So why would you discount a defender who came 2nd This season in the BaF? pretty silly in honesty. how id he the Odd one out?

His disposal efficiency last year was at a lowly 83.88%, it was only the highest of any MFC player for this season. saying he cant rebound is probably the closest thing you said to be accurate, although if he was 3rd man up in marking contests ect i would expect him to offload in a short pass to a Frawley or Grimes, Garland ect who can run the lines.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/2011 stats/tabid/7429/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

News Pick 54: James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back