Pick Your 3 preferred options of those that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

Pick Your 3 preferred options of these that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

4#Didak#4

Premiership Player
May 21, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
These are all guys that have been discussed as options for us at picks 18,19,20. I have left out the highly rated possible sliders as they make it too easy. I may do a separate poll for them.

Pick 3 only!

Interested to know now we are getting closer to the draft who the majority of Pies supporters actually want.

I am going to do another with all the more highly rated ones that may be sliders: Garlett, Stringer, Garner, Kennedy, Vlastutin.

It will be very fortunate that even one of these is available at our picks and if you put them on this list everyone just votes for guys we probably won't get a shot at. As I said I will make another just for these types.

All the rest are names that have been thrown around in the draft thread. Some seem to rate guys like Towers & McBean so I threw them in there as an option if they want to pick them.

I'm wondering whether we plan for future bragging rights and select our most preferred of the three options at pick 20 so that in years to come we can claim that the best selection of that lot came with our third pick, and that we're supreme drafters with our later picks. ;)

Clurey, Lonergan and Garlett (if not available Hrovat)

I've been of the opinion that we should acquire at least 2 midfielders with our first 3 picks, with perhaps 1 KKP at most out of those first 3 picks. However, with the options listed above, I'm finding it very difficult to go past both Shaw and Clurey. Shaw is more of a need, with only Lynch (29), Cloke (25) and Paine (19) able to play KPF. With Reid (23), Brown (23), Keeffe (22), Gault (20) and Hartley (19), we have absolutely no need for Clurey. However, it would be difficult to pass up someone of his ability just on the basis of needs. From the above I rate Shaw, Clurey and Lonergan the highest.

Shaw is an absolute monster, perfect height for the new age KPF (198cm), moves well, good contested mark, havent seen him in the ruck but judging by his size and movement he would at least be adequate to play some minutes there if needed. I am willing to attribute a fairly serious injury earlier this year to his poorer than expected form.

Loves Clurey's aggressiveness at the contest, at his best completely blankets opponents. Slightly small for a KPD nowadays at 193cms, however has the frame to bulk up, closing speed and surprisingly fantastic endurance, of which i had no idea of prior to the draft combine.

Lonergan, I admit, I have seen next to nothing of. Being a Tasmanian they are kind of hidden away during the year, only real chance to see him was at the champs, and i failed to watch a Tasmanian game. FYI i'm basing this selection of the highlights i've seen of him. Appears to be a good kick, is a fantastic size for a midfielder, which, coupled with his speed makes him an extremely attractive proposition.

Next in line would be Simpson then Hrovat. If I were to drop a player out of the 3 selections, it would be clurey, based purely on needs, and replace him with Simpson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

garlett will be available
and i suspect we might pass
he will go in the 2nd round
if he gets past the saints at 25 and 26
hawthorn will get him at 28
seems strange that simpson will get drafted ahead of him, when on output garlett destroys him
sometimes i think too much weight is put on off field issues, they are 18 after all

garlett will be available
and i suspect we might pass
he will go in the 2nd round
if he gets past the saints at 25 and 26
hawthorn will get him at 28
seems strange that simpson will get drafted ahead of him, when on output garlett destroys him
sometimes i think too much weight is put on off field issues, they are 18 after all
mason shaw will be a 2nd rounder also, possibly freo at 37
futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-104db8.jpg

Calhoon looks a pretty stiff type of player to me. His height is an issue as well and I don't know that rebounding smalls are that hard to come by and therefore worth giving a 1st round pick for. His disposal didn't look all that flash to me given his other disadvantges.

I guess I'll go into bat now for my choices which, I will state, are based purely on watching the highlight reel.

Membrey is a wide shouldered marking machine who kicks goals. He looks aggressive, and compares himself to Darling which I dont think is far from off the mark. He's a big kick and a competitor. I guess the problem here is that, like Calhoon, mid-sized players are not rare like rocking horse shit. He really has the body look of a midfielder, but presumably he was shaded out there by better prospects. It is perhaps a worry that we might 'waste' a pick on a middling sized forward, but given the other options in the OP, and his marking strength, he looks the best of those options.

Shaw gives me Tippetesque feelings in his style. He seems to mark at the high-point, is pretty mobile in a Jeff White sort of way, is tall (198cms) and can ruck if needed to become that utility. Kicking 2.2 goals a game is handy. His endurance is reportedly good and he reads the play well, apparently. His confidence took a hit after a facial fracture and he didn't come on as hoped for in 2012. But to me the potential looks pretty good.

Simpson. Well, I know everyone seems to think Garlett is church, and he looks a very good player but evidently behaviour is an issue. For my liking, Simpson is a quality disposer, evasive, daring, draws players, is smart. He's not risky in a dumb sort of way. He doesn't panic, has a great burst of speed or can squeeze through traffic without thinking he's going to do a 100 metre solo-run for goal. That type of X factor coupled with awareness I think we sorely need. The disposal count is lower than what you may want, but I'd be taking 15 shiny ones over 20 average possessions.

Calhoon looks a pretty stiff type of player to me. His height is an issue as well and I don't know that rebounding smalls are that hard to come by and therefore worth giving a 1st round pick for. His disposal didn't look all that flash to me given his other disadvantges.

I guess I'll go into bat now for my choices which, I will state, are based purely on watching the highlight reel.

Membrey is a wide shouldered marking machine who kicks goals. He looks aggressive, and compares himself to Darling which I dont think is far from off the mark. He's a big kick and a competitor. I guess the problem here is that, like Calhoon, mid-sized players are not rare like rocking horse shit. He really has the body look of a midfielder, but presumably he was shaded out there by better prospects. It is perhaps a worry that we might 'waste' a pick on a middling sized forward, but given the other options in the OP, and his marking strength, he looks the best of those options.

Shaw gives me Tippetesque feelings in his style. He seems to mark at the high-point, is pretty mobile in a Jeff White sort of way, is tall (198cms) and can ruck if needed to become that utility. Kicking 2.2 goals a game is handy. His endurance is reportedly good and he reads the play well, apparently. His confidence took a hit after a facial fracture and he didn't come on as hoped for in 2012. But to me the potential looks pretty good.

Simpson. Well, I know everyone seems to think Garlett is church, and he looks a very good player but evidently behaviour is an issue. For my liking, Simpson is a quality disposer, evasive, daring, draws players, is smart. He's not risky in a dumb sort of way. He doesn't panic, has a great burst of speed or can squeeze through traffic without thinking he's going to do a 100 metre solo-run for goal. That type of X factor coupled with awareness I think we sorely need. The disposal count is lower than what you may want, but I'd be taking 15 shiny ones over 20 average possessions.

Did you vote for them though Old Spice ?

Seems to be some voting irregularities that will need to be referred to the authorities. I know your votes carry a lot of weight TD but voting for every player kind of defeats the purpose.:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick Your 3 preferred options of those that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

Back