Pick Your 3 preferred options of those that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

Pick Your 3 preferred options of these that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On me fleeting impressions, Simpson is the decision making, pacey, outside, long-kicking player we desperately need.

If he's flakey, we might avoid, but if he's not, he's just our man.

There seems to be a lot of love for Mason Shaw. Now while I rate him as a talent I just don't see where he fits in at Pieland.

If he reminds me of anyone its Travis Cloke. Similar size, can take a contested grab, has a nice tank and can thump the ball a long way - although apparently accurately! Do we really want two similar players though. Travis has at least 5 years left in him and I don't see them working together all that well.

There is talk he can play ruck and be that ruck/fwd type, I haven't seen enough of his ruck work to say for sure, but this prerhaps would work after Lynch is finished. I just think there is other areas we can focus on and he hasn't exactly had standout performances so far that makes you want to risk a high pick on him.

There seems to be a lot of love for Mason Shaw. Now while I rate him as a talent I just don't see where he fits in at Pieland.

If he reminds me of anyone its Travis Cloke. Similar size, can take a contested grab, has a nice tank and can thump the ball a long way - although apparently accurately! Do we really want two similar players though. Travis has at least 5 years left in him and I don't see them working together all that well.

There is talk he can play ruck and be that ruck/fwd type, I haven't seen enough of his ruck work to say for sure, but this prerhaps would work after Lynch is finished. I just think there is other areas we can focus on and he hasn't exactly had standout performances so far that makes you want to risk a high pick on him.

Depends how long it will take Shaw to develop. You would think about 3 years minimum - by that time Cloke's output would be diminishing and we will be in need of a replacement.

Then again, we have Moore and Paine in the pipeline, could we do with another one? We will have to wait and see.

Why woudn't we go for a capable forward cum-ruck. Who are the next coming through? Unless we hope to bottom out in the next few years, and spend a few more waiting for a top prospect to come through, why wouldn't we take a chance with 3 picks in a row on a fine chance like Shaw?

I do. Hard to tell whether or not they could work together, I can't see why not. Lynch will only be around for 2 or 3 years and I'd imagine he'll be cherry ripe by that stage.

I'm not saying Simpson isn't a real talent, but if you were judging the two players on talent alone, we'd only be talking about Simpson because Garlett would be locked in to be a Top 5 pick.

I've seen Garlett play in the championships and in a couple of WAFL games (full games), so I've seen what he can do, and he's a super impressive talent. If I was any team outside the Top 10, I'd pounce on him, regardless of off-field issues.

agree fully with this.
as a top club with 3 picks in a row, surely we will jump all over garlett
he is worth the risk imo

both.png

Garlett
Simpson
Clurey

I'm not saying Simpson isn't a real talent, but if you were judging the two players on talent alone, we'd only be talking about Simpson because Garlett would be locked in to be a Top 5 pick.

I've seen Garlett play in the championships and in a couple of WAFL games (full games), so I've seen what he can do, and he's a super impressive talent. If I was any team outside the Top 10, I'd pounce on him, regardless of off-field issues.

I am probably of the same opinion. However those off field issues do play a big part in the mind of clubs. I think clubs are looking a lot more at risk minimisation - on a character level. The extent of the interview process these days is evidence of this. Clurey was apparently asked by the 10 Bomber officials interviewing him to sell them a packet of chewing gum...WTF!

Even if they are a super talent the risk of them playing up, walking out or going home after a couple of years can outweigh everything else. As a result talented guys do slip. With Garlett he has a young family that he has to drag to Melbourne, even with great support from the club that is a massive move from any young guy to leave that family support structure behind.

I wonder if Matt Rendell will have any input into draft day. Although he got pounded for it would his opinion that he got sacked for at Adelaide feed in to a decision on Garlett. He was taken out of context and he actually had some valid points, but it pointed to clubs - not just Adelaide - being averse to selecting particular players.

one point to make is that it is good we are talking about garlett so much, such a talent usually doesnt get discussed when you have pick 18....
that said we may pass on him.....
off field problems, commitment issues etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the rest of what you posted but you seem to have forgotten Seeds!

Nah I just don't think he's that quick. He can be a line breaker no doubt, however much like Young he's a line breaker because of his skills not his foot speed. I've seen him play about 15-20 times now and not once have I seen him just speed away from players ala Judd, Jetta, Dangerfield and Hill which is what I believe both Simpson and Garlett bring to the table with skill to match.

There was actually a game of Seeds mid year this year at Vic park against the Cats where he just looked to have found it at VFL level it was like he said to himself this shits too easy for me now I'm an AFL footballer. He then proceeded to get mowed down from behind 3 times in the space of a quarter and a half. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Seeds fan (he's my no. 2 behind Daisy), but I won't ever consider him quick by foot. It's all good if you feel differently, but that's just how I see him.

As an aside would anyone have Jetta's Colts numbers from 07? I'd be very confident that they'd look similar to Simpsons. It's taken him 5 years to fully develop and I think Simpson will take a similar amount of time.

I for one am prepared to wait that long (if its a no to Garlett) especially if we bring in Hrovat, who is as ready to go as you'll get, but are others prepared to wait til 2016-2017 for Simpson?....

As an aside would anyone have Jetta's Colts numbers from 07? I'd be very confident that they'd look similar to Simpsons. It's taken him 5 years to fully develop and I think Simpson will take a similar amount of time.

I for one am prepared to wait that long (if its a no to Garlett) especially if we bring in Hrovat, who is as ready to go as you'll get, but are others prepared to wait til 2016-2017 for Simpson?....

That's pretty fanciful in my view. 5 years?!?

I think the comparisons to Jetta are probably very valid in terms of the type of player he is.

I am not sure about waiting 5 years though. With Jetta he was not picked up as an 18 year old - I cannot remember why as he is an obvious talent, but it may go back to attitude & maturity etc. However once he got into the AFL system he developed rapidly. He had one year where he didn't have the require fitness then went bang.

I think Simpson in an AFL system would be the same. A year or two to develop a fitness base & strength then he would be ready to rock, this won't take 5 years. By all reports the kid has his head screwed on & will be a real professional so I am expecting he will develop quickly enough.

I think the comparisons to Jetta are probably very valid in terms of the type of player he is.

I am not sure about waiting 5 years though. With Jetta he was not picked up as an 18 year old - I cannot remember why as he is an obvious talent, but it may go back to attitude & maturity etc. However once he got into the AFL system he developed rapidly. He had one year where he didn't have the require fitness then went bang.

I think Simpson in an AFL system would be the same. A year or two to develop a fitness base & strength then he would be ready to rock, this won't take 5 years. By all reports the kid has his head screwed on & will be a real professional so I am expecting he will develop quickly enough.

IIRc Jetta's knock was to do with off field commitment issues and being slightly built struggling with WAFL tags.

Sounds more like Garlett with off field being the reason clubs shy'd away but for differing reasons.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/lewis-jetta.550975/page-9#post-16219363 here Weagles fans talk about him for there 09 pick.

Oh and a very nice call by Snoop!
I have seen a bit of him but saw him live last week. mightily impressive and would be a nice fit for the eagles given their stated needs. certainly put in a game that makes you stand up. tough conditions, finals atmosphere....sends you a strong msg he might be a big game player. i had him 2nd round until last weeked - he is now firmly in the first round for mine.

That's pretty fanciful in my view. 5 years?!?

I'm afraid so Spicey. No doubt he's a talent but he simply doesn't get enough of the ball. If he's only getting it 14 times at Colt level how do you think he'll go against men in a rubbish VFL team? If we break it down even further as shown earlier he averages 14 possessions and two tackles which I view as 16 clearly definable impacts on a match. Each of those would be lucky to last maybe 3 seconds so what does he do for the other 79 minutes of the match or is it just enough that we'd be drafting him on the basis of those 50 odd seconds?...

If we draft him he'll be a 2 year VFL player, third year making his debut playing 10-12 games, fourth year becoming comfortably entrenched in the best 22 and then finally fifth year with 30-40 odd games under his belt ready to go bang. Its an almost identical timeline to Sinclair who was a similarly performed player at TAC cup level he had his mostly VFL years in 10-11, then his 12-15 game this year, if all things go to plan he becomes permanent best 22 next year and then goes bang in 2014. The main difference between the two though is that Simpson is more talented.

Compare him to say a Hrovat. Hrovat is one dimensional IMO, however he is a noted ball winner, has a strong defensive side to his game and is rather skillful for an inside mid. Again I'm happy to draft Simpson, but we need to remember that he will be long term like Jetta who has only just realised what's what at the age of 23.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick Your 3 preferred options of those that are likely to be available at our picks 18,19,20

Back