Picks 33, 38 and 53: What to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on how many picks we have, we have an option as I understand it that is a bit of a balancing act, excuse if I struggle making this clear.

3 picks at the moment with upgrade of Bruest with our last pick.

Osborne is available to be placed onto the Veterans list, which allows another pick onto the senior list.

'But' if you have two veterans (so Osborne and Bateman) I believe it limits our ability to have a designated rookie (which Milne was this year).

So, I am not in tune with list lodgement dates and so forth however we may choose to put Osborne on the veterans list so we have the 3 picks, look at pick 3 and see whats around, list a player if there is one that was sort after or review looking towards the PSD or Rookie draft and the need to possibly have another ruck or a rookie ruck as the nominated rookie.

Or....Osborne goes back off the Vets list and onto the main list based on the above scenarios.

Does that all make sense?

I have previously thought Midfielders all the way. In fact I have a belief that over the next three drafts 2011-2013 and assuming we draft 3 each year that a combination of 2 KPP - 6 Mids - 1 Ruck is the balance we are after.

So back to this years draft I can see no reason why we can't get the 2 KPP's now and the rest over the next 2 drafts.

The reason I have changed my thoughts on 2011 draft is the the KPP's available at around 35 are the same ones that teams will be selcting from around Pick 20 onwards. The best mids are taken by 20 - leaving HBF's, lightly framed HFF's and small forwards for the picks in the 30's.

We can pick up better mids in 2012 and 2013 and be OK in terms of list management.

So the 2 KPP's who we should be thinking of include:
Andrew Boseley
Tom Curran
Michael Bussey
Sam Frost
Henry Schade
Jackson Paine
With Heatherley and Codd-Miller currently under our wing KPP youngsters are on the horizon.

Just on how many picks we have, we have an option as I understand it that is a bit of a balancing act, excuse if I struggle making this clear.

3 picks at the moment with upgrade of Bruest with our last pick.

Osborne is available to be placed onto the Veterans list, which allows another pick onto the senior list.

'But' if you have two veterans (so Osborne and Bateman) I believe it limits our ability to have a designated rookie (which Milne was this year).

So, I am not in tune with list lodgement dates and so forth however we may choose to put Osborne on the veterans list so we have the 3 picks, look at pick 3 and see whats around, list a player if there is one that was sort after or review looking towards the PSD or Rookie draft and the need to possibly have another ruck or a rookie ruck as the nominated rookie.

Or....Osborne goes back off the Vets list and onto the main list based on the above scenarios.

Does that all make sense?

Thanks TM, I've been looking around for information about this for a while, I should of known to consult the proper authority. ;)

Thanks again :thumbsu:

Where do you find out pre-listed GWS players re Spur?

Another boy to follow.

Waylen dreams of AFL career

WARATAHS goalkicking machine Waylen Manson welcomes any comparison to Melbourne's Liam Jurrah.

The 18-year-old has booted 28 goals in just three appearances in a red-and-white jumper .

A bag of 10 in Division 1 on the opening day of the NTFL season was followed by eight and 10 in the Premier League.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/10/26/268521_ntsport.html

Edit; Allready noted i see.

I have previously thought Midfielders all the way. In fact I have a belief that over the next three drafts 2011-2013 and assuming we draft 3 each year that a combination of 2 KPP - 6 Mids - 1 Ruck is the balance we are after.

So back to this years draft I can see no reason why we can't get the 2 KPP's now and the rest over the next 2 drafts.

The reason I have changed my thoughts on 2011 draft is the the KPP's available at around 35 are the same ones that teams will be selcting from around Pick 20 onwards. The best mids are taken by 20 - leaving HBF's, lightly framed HFF's and small forwards for the picks in the 30's.

We can pick up better mids in 2012 and 2013 and be OK in terms of list management.

So the 2 KPP's who we should be thinking of include:
Andrew Boseley
Tom Curran
Michael Bussey
Sam Frost
Henry Schade
Jackson Paine
I would go either Sam Frost or Andrew Boseley they are both very athletic.

pick 33 Myles Bolger pick 38 Henry Schade pick 53 Cameron Ellis-Yolmen pick 82 pass (rookie draft) pick 100 upgrade bruest use rookie pick for Fevola
to add some depth to our weakness of ruck and KPD
Bolger a great tap ruckman to add depth incase something happens to bailey
Henry Schade can be devolped into our FB and have Schade Shoenmakers at FB CHB
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen an big bodied strong inside midfielder wins a lot of the ball dominates stoppages can have an immediate impact in 2012
I know its a very devided topic but i believe Fev can be put at full forward and allow freedom for roughy buddy gunston to move around the ground buddy can be put in the midfield gunston running along HF flank wing roughead CHF CHB pick him cheap as chips and if he stuffs up at all get rid of him no questions asked no hassel a lot to gain nothing to lose imo

Have no idea about these kids so can't comment, but don't we only have two live picks in the draft with our third to be used on upgrading Breust?

It is an amazing strategy. This is why I cannot understand why most clubs do not go harder during Trading.

I didn't mind Suzie and Moose but they were very much fringe AFL players. Plus delisting the other three gives us a five man churn which is enough for mine. Without risking too much we could have chopped Bruce and Duryea, we must really disregard this draft.

The more I mull over it the more I reckon we will go highly speculative picks.

Agree with FriarTuck on this atleast with one of our picks, wouldn't be suprised if we took a punt on a young ruckman from Nth Ballarat Rebels named Tom Downie. He only played a couple of games at tac level but showed promising signs, already a big boy at 205cm and 95kg. This selection could be impacted by where the club seem Grimley's future, be it as a ruckman or kpp. I must admit I haven't seen him play but everything I have read suggests he could be good pick with one of our picks. With the healthy state of our list and apparent shallow draft pool I think we can afford to speculate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I. Without risking too much we could have chopped Bruce and Duryea, we must really disregard this draft.

Yes, I think we're not alone in our low opinion of this severely compromised and weak draft. We get a player out of it and we'll be doing well. Bearing in mind though, we have secured Gunston in trading, so that certainly is a huge plus for our list out of this period.

I agree with grizzlym. I believe we have got what we wanted (not strictly the draft I know) by recruiting Gunston. Would be a real coup to find another player with our two picks. Can only hope.

Just for interest some great pick in the 30's over the years, Sam Mitchell, Black, Chapman, O'Loughlin (Le Cras, Fev and Ling allready mentioned). Not all is lost........but the talent has been pillaged this time around.

Agree with FriarTuck on this atleast with one of our picks, wouldn't be suprised if we took a punt on a young ruckman from Nth Ballarat Rebels named Tom Downie. He only played a couple of games at tac level but showed promising signs, already a big boy at 205cm and 95kg. This selection could be impacted by where the club seem Grimley's future, be it as a ruckman or kpp. I must admit I haven't seen him play but everything I have read suggests he could be good pick with one of our picks. With the healthy state of our list and apparent shallow draft pool I think we can afford to speculate.

Ruckmen are in less demand these days due to the sub rule, so hope if we get him, it's as a rookie. Would stacks rather us use our two picks on two of: a mid with pace and skill, a creative small forward and/or a KPP.

No more half back flankers please !!!

Ruckmen with limited versatility are in less demand these days due to the sub rule, so hope if we get him, it's as a rookie. Would stacks rather us use our two picks on two of: a mid with pace and skill, a creative small forward and/or a KPP.

No more half back flankers please !!!
Edited for accuracy :thumbsu:

what about rookie draft who would u like to see picked up in the rookie draft
I would like to see

First round:
Chad Sandilands: Younger brother of Aaron 205cm and from what i hear still growing :/ pretty skinny looks a lot like Aaron did when Aaron was his age. Defenitly a project player and well worth a punt.

Second Round:
Brendan Fevola: Yes I know a lot of people dont want him drafted at Hawthorn but honestly what have we got to lose, make special circumstances for him make them public and that there in his contract that if he repeats any past mistakes his shown the door no questions asked he would be on minimum wage so no salary cap worries. He can still play good football and if people say his been away from AFL to long his body cant handle it look at stewie dew he was a fat load came back and played a big part in the 08 grand final.

Third Round:
Tobias Thoolan: An ex collingwood player at the age of 21 has filled out really nicely and since being delisted has put on bulk and become a very solid KPD for Frankston he is 196 cm 99kg. Could be the "gorilla defender" we have after.

Fourth Round:
Daniel Currie: Ex Sydney player ruck insurance as we traded Renouf and delisted Johnson our young ruckmen (lowden and grimley) might not be ready to play at AFL yet. I think Currie is insurance incase heaven forbid bailey went down with ANOTHER injury.

what about rookie draft who would u like to see picked up in the rookie draft
I would like to see

Second Round:
Brendan Fevola: Yes I know a lot of people dont want him drafted at Hawthorn but honestly what have we got to lose, make special circumstances for him make them public and that there in his contract that if he repeats any past mistakes his shown the door no questions asked he would be on minimum wage so no salary cap worries. He can still play good football and if people say his been away from AFL to long his body cant handle it look at stewie dew he was a fat load came back and played a big part in the 08 grand final.

Third Round:
Tobias Thoolan: An ex collingwood player at the age of 21 has filled out really nicely and since being delisted has put on bulk and become a very solid KPD for Frankston he is 196 cm 99kg. Could be the "gorilla defender" we have after.

Fourth Round:
Daniel Currie: Ex Sydney player ruck insurance as we traded Renouf and delisted Johnson our young ruckmen (lowden and grimley) might not be ready to play at AFL yet. I think Currie is insurance incase heaven forbid bailey went down with ANOTHER injury.
Happy with the three! What about Daniel Bass who was delisted by PA 200cm 104kg 24yo strong aggressive ruckman? I wouldn't mind him tbh :)

Happy with the three! What about Daniel Bass who was delisted by PA 200cm 104kg 24yo strong aggressive ruckman? I wouldn't mind him tbh :)
didnt even think of Bass I thought of Currie being a decent tap ruckman and can go forward sort of like a David Hale but not as good just using him as insurance incase something does happen to Bailey. Bass has the mature body to play AFL footy right away doesnt have to be the best ruckman just as insurance incase Bailey goes down

2011 NAB AFL Draft - Order Of Selection

By club
Adelaide Crows 27, 41, 46, 64, 82 (PR), 89 (PR)
Brisbane Lions 8, 12, 30, 47, 69 (PR)
Carlton 22, 44, 62 (FS)
Collingwood 50, 65, 67 (SP)
Essendon 19, 31, 59, 75 (PR)
Fremantle 16, 20, 29, 58, 71, 72, 83 (PR)
Geelong Cats 32, 34, 48, 66, 78, 86 (FS)
Gold Coast Suns 24, 80 (PR), 88 (LT), 91 (LT)
GWS Giants 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 56, 79, 87, 90, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
Hawthorn 33, 38, 53, 77 (PR)
Melbourne 36, 52, 54
North Melbourne 18, 40, 74 (PR), 84 (PR)
Port Adelaide 6, 45, 51, 81
Richmond 15, 26, 55
St Kilda 25, 35, 37, 42, 60, 68, 76
Sydney Swans 21 (FS), 43, 61, 85 (PR)
West Coast Eagles 23, 28, 63 (PR)
Western Bulldogs 17, 39, 49, 57, 70 (PR), 73 (PR)

Three picks and a rookie promotion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126171/default.aspx

2011 NAB AFL Draft - Order Of Selection

By club
Adelaide Crows 27, 41, 46, 64, 82 (PR), 89 (PR)
Brisbane Lions 8, 12, 30, 47, 69 (PR)
Carlton 22, 44, 62 (FS)
Collingwood 50, 65, 67 (SP)
Essendon 19, 31, 59, 75 (PR)
Fremantle 16, 20, 29, 58, 71, 72, 83 (PR)
Geelong Cats 32, 34, 48, 66, 78, 86 (FS)
Gold Coast Suns 24, 80 (PR), 88 (LT), 91 (LT)
GWS Giants 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 56, 79, 87, 90, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
Hawthorn 33, 38, 53, 77 (PR)
Melbourne 36, 52, 54
North Melbourne 18, 40, 74 (PR), 84 (PR)
Port Adelaide 6, 45, 51, 81
Richmond 15, 26, 55
St Kilda 25, 35, 37, 42, 60, 68, 76
Sydney Swans 21 (FS), 43, 61, 85 (PR)
West Coast Eagles 23, 28, 63 (PR)
Western Bulldogs 17, 39, 49, 57, 70 (PR), 73 (PR)

Three picks and a rookie promotion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126171/default.aspx

Interesting they have us using pick 77 to promote a rookie (Bruest), I was of the impression pick 53 would be the rookie upgrade pick. Does this mean we need to delist one more to accomodate the 4 picks in the National Draft?

It looks as if we will need to delist another player unless miraculously Sam Mitchell qualifies as a veteran. Previously he was said to have missed out by a month approx.

Presumably Duryea or Bruce may now be under the microscope.

It looks as if we will need to delist another player unless miraculously Sam Mitchell qualifies as a veteran. Previously he was said to have missed out by a month approx.

Presumably Duryea or Bruce may now be under the microscope.

Does Osborne qualify as a veteran ??

Does Osborne qualify as a veteran ??

Also, does Guerra qualify. He seems to be the right age, but not sure on number of games/years at club needed.

Seems like we have a few options for veterans!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 33, 38 and 53: What to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back