"Picks 4 to 20 are a raffle"

Remove this Banner Ad

So says 5AA's Graham Studley Cornes, with picks 1 to 3 being head and shoulders above the rest.

I didn't actually realise he was such a draft expert but there you go.

But in all seriousness how do you see the spread of talent in the top 20? Is the top 3 really as clearcut as some make it out to be?

I would definietly agree with him

Much like 2000 (1-3) 2001 (1-3) 2004 (1-5) 2005 (1-15) 2006 (1-7) 2007 (1&2) were all clear standouts at the top of the draft with the rest being fairy even across the board.

Naitanui, Rich & Watts then it's a pick & mix, Sheehan said you could slot 25 into the first 16 names called it's that even.

Watts isn't head and shoulders above the rest. I really do not like watts. there's something about him that suggests to me he could be one of the worst top 3 picks in the draft in recent years. I know i will be slaughtered by saying that, but thats how i feel and many others do too.

Watts isn't head and shoulders above the rest. I really do not like watts. there's something about him that suggests to me he could be one of the worst top 3 picks in the draft in recent years. I know i will be slaughtered by saying that, but thats how i feel and many others do too.

There's absolutely no way known he'll be on the same level as Andrew Walker, or even Colin Sylvia for that matter. Those two are both shockers. Especially Walker.

I agree and i'm a melbourne supporter. There is nothing exciting about jack watts really. He is not aggressive, has not ever run back with the flight of the ball to take a mark or laid a hip and shoulder. He is a KPP player that doesnt use his height to advantage, but is quick and a good mark. I hope we dont waste a pick on him.

I agree and i'm a melbourne supporter. There is nothing exciting about jack watts really. He is not aggressive, has not ever run back with the flight of the ball to take a mark or laid a hip and shoulder. He is a KPP player that doesnt use his height to advantage, but is quick and a good mark. I hope we dont waste a pick on him.

I'm with you. Reckon it would be a mistake to use pick 1 on him. Has loads of talent but his efforts since champs have been fairly disappointing.

So says 5AA's Graham Studley Cornes, with picks 1 to 3 being head and shoulders above the rest.

But in all seriousness how do you see the spread of talent in the top 20? Is the top 3 really as clearcut as some make it out to be?

Most likely he looked on BF and saw a poll on Watts, Naitanui and Rich and drew his astounding insights form that.

Thats about the extent of most media "performers" on the draft.

Absolute nonsense - There's no way that Hamish Hartlett, Michael Hurley and Jack Ziebell (for instance - I'm not suggesting they're next after the Top 3) are only "level" with the players that are going 18, 19 and 20.

Absolute nonsense - There's no way that Hamish Hartlett, Michael Hurley and Jack Ziebell (for instance - I'm not suggesting they're next after the Top 3) are only "level" with the players that are going 18, 19 and 20.

Exactly. Personally, after having a shot at the first two rounds, there isn't much of a difference between the players that might go around 7/8 to players that might be picked around 25/26.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Personally, after having a shot at the first two rounds, there isn't much of a difference between the players that might go around 7/8 to players that might be picked around 25/26.
I think that's actually the opposite of what Vinnie was saying.

But in all seriousness how do you see the spread of talent in the top 20? Is the top 3 really as clearcut as some make it out to be?[/quote]

No it is not.
Naitanui could be a freak or could be a complete failure, I think.
Haven’t heard much of watts lately, some are saying he will be number 1 because of Melbourne’s needs only.
Rich looks like a solid performer.

But none of them are ''head and shoulders'' above anyone.
How could they when there are people like Hurley and Ziebell in the draft.

Look at people's phantom drafts. Most are very similar, having the same names at picks four to eight, which never drop out of the top ten. So I don’t see how you can say it is a raffle.

From my observations it seems 1-3 are mint, and 4-6 are extremely good. After that it progressively tapers off.
Late first round through half way through the 2nd it is extremely even.

Seriously hard to know for sure which players will or wont be there in the early 2nd.

Depends what the club needs, because in that area at least, there doesn't appear to be a massive difference in potential.

I'm still not convinced 1 - 3 are that far ahead of some others. Rich has had a definite following since he burst onto the scene in last year's WAFL finals. That said, from what he has done this year I think both Masten and Palmer were more impressive last year than Rich.

Naitanui is certainly an impressive athlete, and could be a superstar. He could also turn into one of the worst picks 1 -3 ever taken and a real mistake for a club. Odds probably suggest the former is more likely, but I don't think he's a dead cert.

I haven't see Watt live, so won't pretend to be an expert by simply rehashing something I've read elsewhere on BF.

Sounds like people are saying it's like this:

1 2 3
_ _ _
....... \
......... \ 4 5 6 7 8
.......... _ _ _ _ _
........................ \
......................... \ 9 - 25
........................... _ _ _ _

im not sur imo Rich is the best mid in the draft but Harlett and Ziebell ar also very very good players, Nitnat though imo is head and shoulders above the next ruckman but i cant really comment on Watts havent seen him enough

Sounds like people are saying it's like this:

1 2 3
_ _ _
....... \
......... \ 4 5 6 7 8
.......... _ _ _ _ _
........................ \
......................... \ 9 - 25
........................... _ _ _ _

That's the way I see it anyway.

For me there is definitely a top 2 and add Watts if he nominates, then you have Hartlett, Hurley, Ziebell and Vickery all should go next in any order. Then there's Robinson, Yarran, Johnston, Sidebottom, Trengove (if he didn't get injured he would be in the Hurley group IMO) and a few others all potentially could go 9th but also could drop to 20th or so.

There isn't a massive gap but for me there is a slight drop between each group, not much though. So if that's not vaguely what vinnie meant then I don't agree with him.

tyronne vickery is a more sure choice than natinui. I feel he should be number 1 as he has more pure fotball talent than natanui and can go forward and be handy. Takes a mark when he goes forward. Melbourne are in need of both a forward and a ruckman after the loss of both neitz and white this year. Vickery can fill this role perfectly and possibly help the resurgance of tha dees. I like the games of both midfielders rich and hartlett who have shown speed and compurse n the midfield. Hartlett possibly better option as he can go forward and find the footy and works hard down in the forwardline. Ruch may take longer to get accustomed with the afl game as he doesn't have the versatility to be a great forward player. I am aware he has been kicking goals in tha WAFL but tha stadard of tht league is not up to the standar of tha VFL and SANFL (which hartlett has excelled in). That aside it is a very strong draft, possibly tha best weve seen yet. Discuss.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Picks 4 to 20 are a raffle"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back