Picola & District Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game . Two very contrasting game styles . Which one stands up during finals upon bigger grounds will be interesting . I thought Ferguson and Cleeland would have been in their respective sides best players .
How did Ash Holland play? Feel he will be the difference in finals for Waaia considering his experience and ability. He gets them first use will go a long way.

Tungamah apparently missing a few on the weekend lawless x2 and Terence jones will be a great inclusion come finals time. Nick lawless on his day could rip a game apart in a half of footy. It’s going to be a cracking finals series

Looks like it’ll be a big game again at Waaia this weekend.
2nd vs 3rd in both open age grades.
1992 & 2002 premiership reunion for the bombers according to the paper.
Anyone remember who they played?

New mathoura mentors for 2023 were announced and saw they are interested in bringing back some of the talent that left the year before.

Good luck I say. If they pull it off it’s a miracle as I didn’t have them fielding a side next year.

New mathoura mentors for 2023 were announced and saw they are interested in bringing back some of the talent that left the year before.

Good luck I say. If they pull it off it’s a miracle as I didn’t have them fielding a side next year.
How many actually ended up leaving? Where did most end up? Know a few went to Strathy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many actually ended up leaving? Where did most end up? Know a few went to Strathy.

Wasn’t it almost there whole senior squad + coach + committee? Not sure where they all went too but I thought a few went to the GV.

Do we know of any Senior names who stayed?

If they can add 4-5 good senior players wouldn’t surprise me if they play finals sooner rather than later . Got a good group of young kids who have been in games for good portions and then blown out of the water with lapses .
Believe Yarroweyah may not be far off announcing senior coaching for next year as well.

If they can add 4-5 good senior players wouldn’t surprise me if they play finals sooner rather than later . Got a good group of young kids who have been in games for good portions and then blown out of the water with lapses .
Believe Yarroweyah may not be far off announcing senior coaching for next year as well.

Yep, have a contact in mathoura and he said some of the current young coup they have are very talented. Specifically remember a Duggan being brought up.

A couple of weeks is a long time in football.
Waaia lost to Jerildere and looked like Tungamah was the clear number 1 seed.
Now Waaia knocks off Tungamah and Strathy in consecutive weeks and look to take in favoritism to the finals to win it.

Should be a good finals series looking at the ladder with some competitive games.
Slightly looking at likely finals match-ups already if all favored teams win in the final round, matches should look something like this.
***Waaia could finish top if win by a lot against Mathoura, which I think will happen.

Waaia v Katty
Tungamah v Strathy

Katandra v Picola
Katunga v Jerildere

Last round and every position in the top 8 can change.
Only 2 1/2 wins seperates 3rd and 8th .
Jerilderie who could finish 8th , have beaten Waaia and got within 2 goals of Tungamah with a few out , who will finish 1st and 2nd .
Interesting last round and finals series coming up .

Strathy v Katandra and Katty v Jerildere result will have big impacts on the ladder especially Top 4 for a couple to teams.
Plenty to play for.

What are people's thoughts on having only the 2 games this weekend for the Elimination Finals and only the Qualifying Finals the following week?
Not sure I am the biggest fan of it prefer for the 1st week of finals have the
2 QF on Saturday
2 EF on Sunday
Gives the losers of the QF an extra day the following week.

Also allows the Elimination Final winners a week off before a Semi Final

Anyway think.
Katandra will get over Picola comfortably and Jerildere to defeat Katty for 2nd time in 2 weeks.

What are people's thoughts on having only the 2 games this weekend for the Elimination Finals and only the Qualifying Finals the following week?
Not sure I am the biggest fan of it prefer for the 1st week of finals have the
2 QF on Saturday
2 EF on Sunday
Gives the losers of the QF an extra day the following week.

Also allows the Elimination Final winners a week off before a Semi Final

Anyway think.
Katandra will get over Picola comfortably and Jerildere to defeat Katty for 2nd time in 2 weeks.

Logistical nightmare with so many grades across the sports and in a time when volunteers are already being stretched thin it's a perfectly reasonable decision.

I would think having EF before QF ensure winners of QF don't have to wait 3 weeks for next game of footy/netball in a prelim.

Katandra and Katamatite for mine

Up at jerilderie trying to watch this seniors game is difficult with the level of umpiring we are being subjected to... below par. One bloke thinks it the AFL, one bloke can't keep up (on the smallest ground in the comp) and the other bloke doesn't know the rules.

Reading the scores from the weekend looks like Katandra and Katty won comfortably, anyone get to watch these games, and was that the case?

Any danger these teams could challenge any in the top 4 that lose this weekend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back