Pies 1 Game or 1 Season Wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it Simon Beaumont????

If so that would seem like a poor match up to start with. From memory Godden was built fairly low to the ground and that Beaumont was quite rangey.
It was indeed simon beaumont and if i remember right he had barely touched it in the first half Godden goes on at half time and its game over

Was it Simon Beaumont????

If so that would seem like a poor match up to start with. From memory Godden was built fairly low to the ground and that Beaumont was quite rangey.

I think your probably right mate, as i do remember him having a day out against us once, but 8 goals in a half? Gee thats impressive.
Beaumont woulda been 6ft 3 at least, and godden would be lucky to push 5ft 11 so not the best match up.....then again nothing from that era (bad old days) surprises me really......i think the fact that Godden was one of the few players in the team who actually looked remotely interested made him stand out from the other hacks we had assembled.

Here are a few of the top of my head, in no particular order.

Andrew Williams. Who remembers his first two games for us in 2003? He was unreal, took some quality grabs and used it well. He then ran around the following week at the GABBA looking very intimidated by the Lions and that was that.

Tom Davidson. was supposed to be a Chris Tarrant clone (when we rated Taz that is) until he injured his knee for the second time in his first game for us. Looked ok when he was on the park.

Woey. Showed glimpses in 2003, but his lack of pace really hurt him as the game sped up.

Never thought Tranquilli was going to be a star but as a Perth-based Collingwood fan I was very thankful for his performance. A bit like Troy Lehmann's point in about '92 that got us over the line at Subi after being about 4/5 goals down at the last change.

Thought Brad Plain was looking like he could have been handy at one stage but failed to fire.

Damian Houlihan had his moments.

Damian Adkins looked promising but turned out to be a dud. Saw him play WAFL footy in Perth and he was a loose cannon! Easily frustrated

Julian Rowe had something about him but never strung a set of good games together

Chad Liddell was another that had some promise but wasn't quite up to it

Ian McOrist's stunning 6 goal debut against Fitzroy from a half forward flank, Vic Park Rnd 7 1972.

Disappeared from the face of the Earth 11 games later.

For some reason I remember Andrew Pugsley's debut for us. It would have been early in this decade or so and he kicked about 3 goals, took some nice marks and had a few other opportunities. I was thinking we would have a solid player for the future. Never really played much after that

Ryan Lonie impressed me in his first few seasons until his pea heart started to become more an more obvious every year and every game he seemed to play.
I think that is because of his Dad died and just went backwards since then

For some reason I remember Andrew Pugsley's debut for us. It would have been early in this decade or so and he kicked about 3 goals, took some nice marks and had a few other opportunities. I was thinking we would have a solid player for the future. Never really played much after that

Was in 1998, round four against the Tigers on a Friday Night at the 'G. Wore #48 or some such number, and kicked two with his first two kicks. Later captained Box Hill, IIRC. Handy key forward, not quite sure why he didn't get as many opportunities as his debut suggested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many names.... But one from the recent past....

Damian Adkins.... I thought he was going to set the world on fire... turns out he was out of gas....

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies 1 Game or 1 Season Wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back