List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you be against selecting Garlett with our second pick? if his talent was on par with no.1 pick Lachie Whitfield last year, the chance to grab two first round quality picks would be oh so tempting and as you mentioned, he is EVERYTHING we are after.

If the draft was tomorrow and he is as good as everyone says he is, I'd absolutely taken him ( I would have taken Tipungwuti last year too - it is where our list is at). What are we paying Hird, Thompson and our development department for if they don't want to/can't at least try to get the best out of someone like this. We are trying to get the advantage in player development.

There isn't much point going back to the state leagues to look to find more honest triers. We have plenty of players that fit that mold (and it would be underselling them at that). We need to round out our list with elite crumbing and outside skill. Gartlett has it, if he has shown genuine willingness to turn his life around, even if he is not quite there, the rest is up to us.

Gartlett may not be the best example of it all, because it doesn't seem to be cultural as much as it is to do with him being a lad, but I can't help think of Matt Rendell's warning (not the parent comment which was never keep in the context in which that prick Mifsud understood it - on this I'll take my cues from Dean Rioli). It is about the judgment that gets made. Gartlett will probably never live down his past and I don't know how wise that is.

is anyone here a SANFL watcher?

Tom Fields is another one that's still available should we want him in addition to your list Yoda_
Wasn't he a possible pick up last year, or am I mistaking him for someone else?

No that was him. Was a nice video of him at the under 18 championships kicking the ball like a gun. I think he was a late bloomer without much of a rounded game. Hard to believe that he played the way he looked in that video without getting drafted or rookied by us.

that's the one, is still a F/S option, although he's i think 21 now.
Undersized KPD (I think a similar size to a tayte pears or dave myers) but much quicker apparently and can absolutely hoof the ball.

Pretty sure he moved down to the Sanfl from QLD which should help his draft prospects in theory, but not sure how he's going or if we still consider him a chance.

that's the one, is still a F/S option, although he's i think 21 now.
Undersized KPD (I think a similar size to a tayte pears or dave myers) but much quicker apparently and can absolutely hoof the ball.

Pretty sure he moved down to the Sanfl from QLD which should help his draft prospects in theory, but not sure how he's going or if we still consider him a chance.
Putting two and two together, we wont draft him. He doesn't play for Frankston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tommy Walsh for Joe Daniher give us back what's rightfully ours :(

Because Neale, Terry and Chris all had long and fruitful careers at Syd- oh wait.

What have they got to do with it Anthony is his dad

Just saying we have the whole legacy of Daniher's, not just Tony. The Danihers are known as Essendon men through and through. Just read the biography

Being optimistic about being drafted is completely different then speculating that he WILL be drafted. Which is what you have been alluding to.

Dude, go back, read what I have said and then let's continue this conversation?

I have heard from recruiters, you know the blokes who have some actual bearing on draft day rather than keyboard heroes like us that he is being spoken about as a top 40 pick.

Seems your arguing for the sake of arguing now

If the draft was tomorrow and he is as good as everyone says he is, I'd absolutely taken him ( I would have taken Tipungwuti last year too - it is where our list is at). What are we paying Hird, Thompson and our development department for if they don't want to/can't at least try to get the best out of someone like this. We are trying to get the advantage in player development.

There isn't much point going back to the state leagues to look to find more honest triers. We have plenty of players that fit that mold (and it would be underselling them at that). We need to round out our list with elite crumbing and outside skill. Gartlett has it, if he has shown genuine willingness to turn his life around, even if he is not quite there, the rest is up to us.

Gartlett may not be the best example of it all, because it doesn't seem to be cultural as much as it is to do with him being a lad, but I can't help think of Matt Rendell's warning (not the parent comment which was never keep in the context in which that prick Mifsud understood it - on this I'll take my cues from Dean Rioli). It is about the judgment that gets made. Gartlett will probably never live down his past and I don't know how wise that is.

Completely agree. Add to that the influence of outstanding indigenous leaders like Nathan Lovett-Murray and Michael Long with the club and add in the additional development from guys like Hird, Thompson and co and I was disappointed we didn't take the chance on him.

Dude, go back, read what I have said and then let's continue this conversation?

I have heard from recruiters, you know the blokes who have some actual bearing on draft day rather than keyboard heroes like us that he is being spoken about as a top 40 pick.

Seems your arguing for the sake of arguing now

No that is not what you have been saying. That is why i have been refuting your arguement. You said he WILL be drafted in the top 40.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back