List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

may get shot down in flames for this one but what about J. Porplyzia, has been abit low on confidence lately though.
Thoughts?

What do we want him for though? As I see it (someone who knows about recruiting will probably correct me) our glaring weakness list-wise is a best 22 crumbing small forward and a depth ruckman should TBC want out.

If TBC stays then we should get by with simply drafting Sikora with a late pick, and getting a very good project player and a mature age-er (this could be Dell if he is good enough) to fill the small forward void.

Ideally we only have 4 spots on the list to fill (Hille, NLM, Colyer(?), Davis(?)), plus rookie list depending on what happens there. I suppose if the coaches think we have the list balance right we'll be looking at like for like replacements for each of the players mentioned above.

I'd say Dan Currie would be perfect, although word is he wants out of north for more opportunities, so i guess as it stands now we don't fit that. daz77 suggestion of Tom Campbell isn't a bad one though.

I'd be looking at a rookie ruck probably next year, Even if we had the extra 2 rookie slots, i don't think we would've taken one last year, the rucks in last years draft were basically non existent.
Shame he went before we could get him in the rookie draft.
Going to be hard to find a back up ruckman to agree to be a back up ruckman for another club.

What do we want him for though? As I see it (someone who knows about recruiting will probably correct me) our glaring weakness list-wise is a best 22 crumbing small forward and a depth ruckman should TBC want out.

If TBC stays then we should get by with simply drafting Sikora with a late pick, and getting a very good project player and a mature age-er (this could be Dell if he is good enough) to fill the small forward void.

Ideally we only have 4 spots on the list to fill (Hille, NLM, Colyer(?), Davis(?)), plus rookie list depending on what happens there. I suppose if the coaches think we have the list balance right we'll be looking at like for like replacements for each of the players mentioned above.
Small forward?

I would prefer to go with Gumby/Daniher as the back up Ruckman, rather than draft a VFL ruckman. (Ryder/Bellchambers as the main). Then go for some project types in the draft/rookie draft.

I would prefer to go with Gumby/Daniher as the back up Ruckman, rather than draft a VFL ruckman. (Ryder/Bellchambers as the main). Then go for some project types in the draft/rookie draft.

I think drafting another ruckman is just common sense. Ryder's gets a rough conduct charge and then later in the same game Bellchambers is injured, misses a few weeks. It's dumb to have less than 3 pure rucks on a list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say T-Bell requests to leave and go to Collingwood. We demand a first round pick or, without knowing his contract situation, Steele Sidebottom. We then go for Max Gawn. We also draft Sikora. Who do we choose as the beanpole 4th ruck?

Sikora plods big time. Not sure that he mobile enough to play AFL.

We will need a ready to go replacement for Hille, but I don't think drafting a project ruckman is out of the question either. Big guys if they show they have some talent are better value at the trade table than a midfielder that hasn't played a game..

It all gets back to the screw up with Tom Campbell. I am in no doubt whatsoever, based on our coaxing Hille into playing on, that the plan was to have Campbell on the primary list now to cover Hille for 2013.

It all gets back to the screw up with Tom Campbell. I am in no doubt whatsoever, based on our coaxing Hille into playing on, that the plan was to have Campbell on the primary list now to cover Hille for 2013.
****ing Shannon Grant.. :mad:

Bellchambers won't be going anywhere. It will be the Ryder/Bellchambers combo for a long time with a forward line of Hurley/Daniher/Crameri. It can and will work. Hird and Bomber won't be letting a premium ruckman walk out the door to let Ryder ruck solo. We look plain awful in ruck contests when Daniher or Gumbleton chip in, they just get slaughtered for 5-8 minutes until Ryder comes back in and against the best teams, that will cost us dearly.

When the team has Ryder/Bellchambers/Hurley/Crameri/Daniher (Gumbleton) in the side at any one time, it just means there will rarely be a resting ruckman unless Hurley or Daniher/Gumbleton are on the bench. When Ryder is rucking, Bellchambers will either be on the bench, or in the forward line resting whilst Hurley/Daniher (Gumbleton)/Crameri are on the bench.

It will change our rotations but it will be done to fit them all in the team. You never trade out a premium ruckman, especially one you have developed.

Now that is out of the way, what do people think about trading for Yarran? Yes he has his 'attitude' problems according to the media but he is a freak when in form. I could see him doing Kommer's role and with higher production. His speed would be a real asset to our forward line/midfield and has elite footskills. Could be a huge addition to our side. I reckon something like a 1st and 3rd rounder might get it done, if push came to shove i'd give them a first and a second rounder for him.

Dayle Garlett is the other obvious player in this mould, would come much cheaper and could be more productive if he has the right attitude and determination.

Also, what do you think it would take to get a top 3 pick this year off a GWS/St.Kilda/Western Bulldogs type club. For those type of teams could a 1st rounder + 2nd/3rd rounder + Gumbleton (+Baguley/Pears) get it done?

Would love to see us do something like this and get a player like Aish with that pick, that kid will be a star.

Bit more reluctant to have Pears included considering he played quite well Saturday night I thought, however if we had the opportunity to get a deal like that done and he was the missing part of the puzzle to push it over the line, I wouldn't be too upset to see him go. Think Hirdy and co are keeping him for post Fletch but who knows.

Just my thoughts for the trade period anyway.

Now that is out of the way, what do people think about trading for Yarran? Yes he has his 'attitude' problems according to the media but he is a freak when in form. I could see him doing Kommer's role and with higher production. His speed would be a real asset to our forward line/midfield and has elite footskills. Could be a huge addition to our side. I reckon something like a 1st and 3rd rounder might get it done, if push came to shove i'd give them a first and a second rounder for him.

Dayle Garlett is the other obvious player in this mould, would come much cheaper and could be more productive if he has the right attitude and determination.

Also, what do you think it would take to get a top 3 pick this year off a GWS/St.Kilda/Western Bulldogs type club. For those type of teams could a 1st rounder + 2nd/3rd rounder + Gumbleton (+Baguley/Pears) get it done?

We need an outside midfielder and a small forward, Dayle Garlett and Yarran both fit both of those roles.
I hate yarran as a player though, soft as butter and a butt head to boot, wouldn't go near him.

as far as scoring a top pick. GWS need to reduce list size, so i'd say they're unlikely to take package deals. Not sure on Saints, but Dogs surely won't, haven't traded a high pick in a while, and are really focused on the kids. If they were to somehow get pick 10 off GWS in a deal for pick 1 (to get Boyd) then that could be an appropriate makeweight for Crameri if they are actually into him? I dunno.

Don't think we've seen anything we've liked so we talked Hille into staying on this year to bide time and maybe have a close look at someone like Sikora (who I don't think would be a particularly good choice). Not sure of contract status of some of the depth ruckmen around the AFL either who we could be waiting on.

Bellchambers won't be going anywhere. It will be the Ryder/Bellchambers combo for a long time with a forward line of Hurley/Daniher/Crameri. It can and will work. Hird and Bomber won't be letting a premium ruckman walk out the door to let Ryder ruck solo. We look plain awful in ruck contests when Daniher or Gumbleton chip in, they just get slaughtered for 5-8 minutes until Ryder comes back in and against the best teams, that will cost us dearly.

When the team has Ryder/Bellchambers/Hurley/Crameri/Daniher (Gumbleton) in the side at any one time, it just means there will rarely be a resting ruckman unless Hurley or Daniher/Gumbleton are on the bench. When Ryder is rucking, Bellchambers will either be on the bench, or in the forward line resting whilst Hurley/Daniher (Gumbleton)/Crameri are on the bench.

It will change our rotations but it will be done to fit them all in the team. You never trade out a premium ruckman, especially one you have developed.

Well because you say it can work it will work? I agree that it looks great on paper having the Ryder/TBC combo but the start of this season as well as previous years of the team playing this combo it looks like it's not/ never has looking like gelling together. That's the hard facts, over recent years plenty of premium ruckman have moved to other clubs Jacobs/Mummy/Maric/Jolly/McIntosh/Hale and that's not including the fwd/ruck options with Tippet/Clark. An out of all those clubs who had to let go of a premium ruckman only one of them has fallen away and that's adelaide but that's more to do so with being gutted by the expansion teams, they lost to many talls/KPP recently in Bock/Davis/Maric/Tippet/Gunston.

I do endorse and hope TBC plays against West Coast in 2 weeks time but that is because no other team has the ruck/fwd fire power that the eagles have. Playing TBC makes the team too tall and in doing so Essendon doesn't have a Plan B. The last couple of weeks without TBC in the team clearly enhances the forward line, the team looks more settled forward instead of having TBC wasting space there. Also Paddy is the better ruck player as well as the better forward player than TBC but because the gap is greater between the two in the forward department he gets pushed to the forward line.

It's time to start living in reality buddy that TBC may be gone at the end of the year.

I don't think drafting/trading for a small forward is a path we will go down, we need more mids that can go forward, specifically mids that know how to crumb the fall of the ball.

Small forwards are overrated, just because Milne and Betts kick a lot of goals during the season doesn't necessarily mean it makes a good team structure for winning flags.

Well because you say it can work it will work? I agree that it looks great on paper having the Ryder/TBC combo but the start of this season as well as previous years of the team playing this combo it looks like it's not/ never has looking like gelling together. That's the hard facts, over recent years plenty of premium ruckman have moved to other clubs Jacobs/Mummy/Maric/Jolly/McIntosh/Hale and that's not including the fwd/ruck options with Tippet/Clark. An out of all those clubs who had to let go of a premium ruckman only one of them has fallen away and that's adelaide but that's more to do so with being gutted by the expansion teams, they lost to many talls/KPP recently in Bock/Davis/Maric/Tippet/Gunston.

I do endorse and hope TBC plays against West Coast in 2 weeks time but that is because no other team has the ruck/fwd fire power that the eagles have. Playing TBC makes the team too tall and in doing so Essendon doesn't have a Plan B. The last couple of weeks without TBC in the team clearly enhances the forward line, the team looks more settled forward instead of having TBC wasting space there. Also Paddy is the better ruck player as well as the better forward player than TBC but because the gap is greater between the two in the forward department he gets pushed to the forward line.

It's time to start living in reality buddy that TBC may be gone at the end of the year.

You are delusional. I bet you he will be at Essendon next season.

Players like Maric, Jacobs, Mumford (not this season anyway for these 3), Hale are not premium rucks, (especially not Mumford, Hale or Maric) and they weren't premiums when they left their original club.

If you don't think it 'gels' you are wrong because the first 6-7 weeks of this season has shown that it does. There weren't any other rucks/ruck combos that were coming anywhere near them. Then Ryder got suspended for 3 weeks and Bellchambers rucked solo for 4 weeks and as result probably picked up a niggle or is being rested as a precaution to have him ready for the back half of the season.

It has been obvious that Hird has been very keen on the 2 rucking combo team ever since he started at the club. Bellchambers will be at the club for a very long time to come.

I don't even know why I'm making these points to you even though you have a reputation much maligned to sneakyjetta.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back