List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dayle Garlett or target one of Collingwoods plethora (Didak, Krakouer, Elliot, Fasolo, Elliot, J.Thomas, K.Martin, Dwyer, Kennedy) ect

Well the stupidity of not taking Dayle Garlett is going to bite us on the you know what. Out of that list you have listed Elliot/Dwyer/Krakouer (although too old and he misses home too much) as the small crumbing forwards. Good luck getting Elliot, and he is more your Medurst-type anyway. We need a Milne-type crumber.

In before sneakyjetta derails thread.

*Too late.

I don't think we need a lot. 2 things that would come in handy would be an outside, quick skillful player, think Andrew Lovett. And as a few have mentioned, a gun crumbing forward.

But when you think about the latter, how many genuine "gun" small forwards are there? Ballantyne, Walters, Betts and Breust are my personal favourites.
Garlett, Yarran when he plays down there, Milne occasionally these days are all good. Then who are you down to, McGlynn? Jake King? Stokes?

Are any of those guys better than Davey or Winderlich? We see Davey as inconsistent, but we probably need to accept that all small forwards are. Heck, one of the best in the business, Betts didn't get a touch against us on Friday.

I'd still target this area, but it wouldn't be disastrous I wouldn't think if we don't trade for one. I'd be giving Del a crack too. For what he's not, he is a genuine, natural goal kicker.

I do have a few fingers crossed though that Yarran and Malthouse don't sort out their differences. Boy he'd be perfect.

If T-Bell gets games in the next few weeks we can put the trade thoughts of him away.
Apart from a crumbing forward I hope we look at a fast, line breaking midfielder.
Whether we trade for one, or just go to the draft, we need some speed in the middle because it is terrible when we look slow.

Think we stress too much about a small,crumbing forward - And I stress the word crumbing. There aren't too many in the AFL - and the fact is that small forwards have negligible impact in finals. As bombers No 1 said, we can go to the draft and find one - They are usually found later in the draft or in the rookie draft.

What else do we need

- project ruck or state league ruck.
- utility type
- another KP
- line breaking midfielder.

I dont see any significant weaknesses in our list, so its a matter of improving the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just by pure observation, but I think T-Bell will ask for a trade if he loses his place in the team.
With the rise of our forward stocks and Gumby and Daniher (I know he isn't ready) being groomed to chop out in the ruck, it just compliments Ryder better as the sole ruck.

Last pre season (Or the one before) in interviews he was saying he is the number 1 ruckman, and everything read to him being #1. With the current ruck rules it suits athletic ruckman and at the moment I see Ryder as the number 1.

In most clubs there is a pretty big drop off in talent between the number 1 and 2 ruckman except for West Coast. I can list them out, but it's not hard to think of them. We are blessed to have 2 quality ruckman.

With our current forward structure T-Bell doesn't fit, so for him to stick around he would know he plays when we are against a team with good ruck stocks, or we have injuries. I just see him as too competitive to be in that position and I would hate it if he looks elsewhere.

We would be stupid to willingly trade him, but if he requests it then they have no choice. This could all become irrelevant if he does play in the coming weeks and decides to stay. But the way I see it he wants to be a number 1 ruck and is pretty competitive about it.

This is just by pure observation, but I think T-Bell will ask for a trade if he loses his place in the team.
With the rise of our forward stocks and Gumby and Daniher (I know he isn't ready) being groomed to chop out in the ruck, it just compliments Ryder better as the sole ruck.

Last pre season (Or the one before) in interviews he was saying he is the number 1 ruckman, and everything read to him being #1. With the current ruck rules it suits athletic ruckman and at the moment I see Ryder as the number 1.

In most clubs there is a pretty big drop off in talent between the number 1 and 2 ruckman except for West Coast. I can list them out, but it's not hard to think of them. We are blessed to have 2 quality ruckman.

With our current forward structure T-Bell doesn't fit, so for him to stick around he would know he plays when we are against a team with good ruck stocks, or we have injuries. I just see him as too competitive to be in that position and I would hate it if he looks elsewhere.

We would be stupid to willingly trade him, but if he requests it then they have no choice. This could all become irrelevant if he does play in the coming weeks and decides to stay. But the way I see it he wants to be a number 1 ruck and is pretty competitive about it.

Only one thing you can do about it

I still think he will be our number one ruck, Ryder R/F (yes he plays his best footy as the number one ruck but which ruck in the league doesnt?) more midfield time. JoeD key forward along with either Carlisle or Hurley, i think Crameri will need to improve his defensive side to his game but hes basically been our 3rd or 4th tallest forward in our 50 for a fair while now - nothing new.

2 nippy forwards Davey and Winders

Anyway see how it goes if it doesnt work change it

JoeD will be in/out for the rest of the year, Crameri, Hurley, Carlisle, Ryder will be given applicable rest against poorer sides (GWS, Melb, WBD) ect

Edit: Ryder, TBC, JoeD probably spend more time on the bench than usual and one is subbed off (likely JoeD) during early 3rd

People in here having a laugh surely.

I'll burn Windy Hill to the ground before I see Betts or Didak in the red sash.

Think we stress too much about a small,crumbing forward - And I stress the word crumbing. There aren't too many in the AFL - and the fact is that small forwards have negligible impact in finals. As bombers No 1 said, we can go to the draft and find one - They are usually found later in the draft or in the rookie draft.

What else do we need

- project ruck or state league ruck.
- utility type
- another KP
- line breaking midfielder.

I dont see any significant weaknesses in our list, so its a matter of improving the list.

I think the answers to some of those might be a lot closer than we think.

State league ruck - Sikora. It's fair to say that Hille had to be talked into this year, so Sikora I think becomes a natural replacement, There might well already be an agreement of sorts in place.

Utility type - Steinberg. he's still a little green, but reports and tidbits i've read and seen indicate that there is that improvement trajectory that you look for in a project player. Maybe another year on the rookie list and then slide onto the main list.

Line breaking midfielder - That's where our first rounder should go, someone to compliment the Howlett, Watson, Myers, Hocking types, a out and out Duncan, Gaff, Jetta type winger, or even just a clearance mid with a bit of pace and spark in the Zaharakis/Judd mould who can run out of packs rather than just give the handball off.

will add in Small forward as it seems a talking point.
We wouldn't sign Tippa to the VFL for no reason, Are we hiding him?

I
Line breaking midfielder - That's where our first rounder should go, someone to compliment the Howlett, Watson, Myers, Hocking types, a out and out Duncan, Gaff, Jetta type winger, or even just a clearance mid with a bit of pace and spark in the Zaharakis/Judd mould who can run out of packs rather than just give the handball off.
Kavanagh?

Merrett?

Getting a ruck replacement is the most urgent need in our list. We need to retain both Bellchambers and Ryder and get a backup ruck. Daniher will be able to chip in as relief ruck occasionally when needed but I don't think it will be our #1 choice.

Another outside mid with pace would be great - if only Colyer could improve his kicking he would be perfect. Have some hope for Merrett to fill this hole from next year onwards but time will tell.

A relatively consistent small forward with genuine pace would be nice. I think Walters from Freo is the 'type' that we need. Obviously he wouldn't be gettable though. We may just want to try and get this from the draft as its hard to see who has an excess of small forwards except maybe Carlton.

Our list as a whole though isn't in bad shape in balance terms. Which gives us some flexibility in terms of what we can choose to go for. Can probably just go best available as long as we pick up a ruck at some stage.

Kavanagh?

Merrett?

Kavanagh, while being slippery and very good in traffic, doesn't have the pace (I haven't seen it) IMO, it's about the only thing he doesn't have.

Merrett is definitely that type of player, but more can't hurt

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back