List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How Gawn is behind Fitzpatrick has me baffled. Fitzpatrick has looked spectacularly ordinary every time I've seen him.

I agree, and it can only be a good thing for other clubs who need a decent ruckman. If we become a club needing a decent ruckman, not necessarily a 1st ruck, we'd be mad to not at least whisper some sweet nothings in his ear and see how he responds.

Do we get anything in return or is this just goodwill?

Yeah, but it was too hard for me to think up. I know, cop out.

If we lose our draft picks, we will probably want picks. I'd like a Jack Steven, but that may not be happening. Maybe a Chris Mayne. It get's hard trying to get into the mind set of other clubs. I don't know what may be excess to their requirments.

Yeah, but it was too hard for me to think up. I know, cop out.

If we lose our draft picks, we will probably want picks. I'd like a Jack Steven, but that may not be happening. Maybe a Chris Mayne. It get's hard trying to get into the mind set of other clubs. I don't know what may be excess to their requirments.

I think there is very little chance the Saints would trade out Jack Steven. They'd be crazy to, he's just about their best young player.

For our ruck stocks we need look no further than Michael (??) Sikora in our VFL team. 22/23. BIG, and getting better. Curently injured though.

For our ruck stocks we need look no further than Michael (??) Sikora in our VFL team. 22/23. BIG, and getting better. Curently injured though.

If Hille retires (expected) and Bellchambers is traded (possible, but not preferable) then we'd be left with Ryder and Sikora. Need more than that.

If Hille retires (expected) and Bellchambers is traded (possible, but not preferable) then we'd be left with Ryder and Sikora. Need more than that.

No..gif

Is there any basis behind everyone naming Bellchambers as being traded/seeking a trade?

Or is it just his casual, laid back attitude that worries people?

I think its mainly just paranoia based on a few "rumours" that he has cracked with selection a few times (mainly last year though). The rest of it is from the crew that wants to see Ryder ruck 85% game time for the rest of his career and think Bellchambers is expendable.

Not directly related to drafts and trading, but I have read the posts that imply we're lacking a speedy and line-breaking midfielder, how is Dalgleish progressing in the reserves? He was always going to be a long term prospect and something of a project player, but if he comes on as is hoped, he could really add those aforementioned components to our midfield rotation that we're lacking.

On what I've seen it seems like it's a matter of time before he is given a senior spot. Does a lot of the fundamentals, such as positioning in one on one duels and kicking, really well and has ridiculous speed but continues to drift in and out of matches. It is really hard to tell whether anything has changed since he was drafted, his strengths and weaknesses don't seem to have changed much, because he is often stuck deep in the backline and I haven't seen him free on a wing, for example.

I still think he could be a sensational small defender/half back in the years to come. I hope we persist with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we need to make another play for Andrew Gaff like we did a few years back. He's horribly out of form and it could be a good time to offer him an out, especially if the eagles don't make the finals and we do. With Glass nearing the end and Mitch Brown looking for a move back to Melbourne they could be looking for a tall defender and I feel like Pears/Hooker (would be harsh on Hooker) + a second round pick could get it done

I agree entirely, but it is a hypothetical that has been thrown around based on him being an alpha dog yet potentially not being able to play that role at Essendon, hence seeking a trade.

Side note; How is that "tl;dr"? It was a picture! :p

Really hope Bellcho is never even considered for trade. Was in our best performing players at the start of the year.

How Gawn is behind Fitzpatrick has me baffled. Fitzpatrick has looked spectacularly ordinary every time I've seen him.

Fitzpatrick is athletically very good. Runs like a rover, very ordinary footballer.

Gawn isn't streets better, but really should be getting games ahead of him

Certainly the eagles will be after a tall back (However Gaff still has another year on his contract after this one doesnt he?)

It could merely be the fact that we finished 11th last year and its bloody hard to go from 11th to 1st in the recent modern game. It could be that we just need to gel, get some finals experience and then develop one or 2 more years further before we become one of those 2 grandfinal teams and whoever is best on the day wins from there.

It seems to be a common trend that we will need a quality small forward and/or a line breaking midfielder amongst fans.

Fitzpatrick is athletically very good. Runs like a rover, very ordinary footballer.

Gawn isn't streets better, but really should be getting games ahead of him

I think they both look quite good. I still think the most important thing for young talls is to be able to move fluently. The rest all seems to flow naturally.

Side note; How is that "tl;dr"? It was a picture! :p

Really hope Bellcho is never even considered for trade. Was in our best performing players at the start of the year.

A picture tells a thousand words, so definitely tl;dr :cool:

And I agree, I don't want to see TBC leave but given it was being talked about I joined in, moreso from a ruckman to replace him which we'd definitely need rather than what the other club would need to give up in order to get him (which would be shitloads).

Ok those talking about getting players lets keep it realistic. Regards Carlton's little squad of aboriginal small forwards, Betts is out of contract at the end of this year. He is a restricted free agent.

If anything it is a player like him that we lack the most. Milne is the best going around, but well past his prime. A genuine goal sneak that can destroy a side in half a quarter, especially in a side that has Carlisle, Hurley, Daniher, Ryder, Gumby and TBC as potential forward targets.

If Dell or Tippa don't show signs of definitely stepping up to play this role then we have to trade for it, as I think there is much about our list that will be peaking next season, i.e. Watson and Goddard will probably not improve after next season.

Prior to the trade period the club should sit down with our talls individually and tell them that we love them and want them all to stay, but understand if they think getting a game at Essendon will be tough and would consider going elsewhere. Those that do we can take with confidence to the trade table.

Personally I hope that Dell shows enough to upgraded onto the senior list at the end of the year, Tippa shows enough to get rookied and we can focus on getting another mid to improve our speed in there. I also hope that Jetta and our suite of young mids show enough to make the club confident that we have enough line breaking mids in the squad.

That said who does a line breaking mid push out of the rotation right now?

Colyer and Davis are probably not going to last after their current contracts. I also imagine Colyer, Jetta, Pears, Hardingham and Browne and will be looking elsewhere for opportunities. Also Hooker or Gumby may look at a very good offer somewhere else.

Dell will either get upgraded or delisted from rookies, and I imagine Steinberg and Hunter will be also at the end of this year. I also imagine that if they can't get a gig elsewhere they'll remain on the Essendon VFL list.

Colyer and Davis are probably not going to last after their current contracts. I also imagine Colyer, Jetta, Pears, Hardingham and Browne and will be looking elsewhere for opportunities. Also Hooker or Gumby may look at a very good offer somewhere else.

Browne and Hooker going elsewhere would really annoy me. Browne I can understand if he doesn't get much of a run in the 2nd half of the season. I like what I've seen with him but at his age it is a matter of opportunity (and staying injury free). Hooker is a bonefide best 22 player and the only reason I could see him wanting out is due to the return home factor or fallout from the ASADA crud.

It will always be sad to see Gumby go now that he is looking fit, but mostly it'd suck if he tears it up at a new club. If he performs at another club the same way he is for us at present it would soften the blow.

That said who does a line breaking mid push out of the rotation right now?
Whoever Colyer would push out if he could kick. From Friday's team, Hams or Kommer, with perhaps a Howlett type spending a bit more time resting forward.

As far as that role goes though I would be sniffing around Jared Polec from Brisbane. Still very young and has all the tools you could want in that sort of player - decent height, silky skills and blistering pace. Was a highly rated top-5 pick, played SANFL seniors as a kid, but has had a horror run with injuries and struggled to crack the team, so could be forgiven for wanting a fresh start. He perhaps needs a bit of a kick up the bum as far as his workrate goes, but sort that out and get him fit and you'd have a ripper player.

Great post fishardansin

Dell needs to be played sooner rather than later, we need to see what hes got at AFL level in the next 6 weeks? Even if sometimes its as a sub, but this week id be replacing Davey with Dell, let Davey find some form and touch in the VFL and give Dell a genuine crack against a solid/middle of the road side and the chance to hold his spot vs the eagles at his home.

If he doesnt prove himself then he as you said will be delisted and it will probably mean we have to target a genuine small forward capable of hittting the scoreboard, applying pressure and crumbing.

In comes the free agents (Lecras, Milne, Betts). Are the eagles and stkilda past the premiership window chance? I think so, would they like a flag? i think so

However it would seem we probably right now dont have the money. However if we lose a Crameri/Hooker/Pears/Jetta in trade then maybe we do pending on who we lose ect

If we happened to lose one of the above players then we would likely have a small open spot to offer these players to change clubs with a chance of ultimate success.

If none accept then we need to scour the country for the best small forwards of which not many come to mind.

Paul Bevan, Dayle Garlett, Tippa ? ect draft and hope for the best

Rioli, Ballantyne, Walters, Lecras, Milne, Betts types dont grow on trees and some take their time (Walters, Ballantyne)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back