Player X vs Player Y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just don't get it, mate.

If you have 3 premiums on the bench one week, you will have 1.5mil of 10mil on your bench.

You won't be able to cover 3 players with decent bench options especially as the year progresses.

Just work out who you want in your team at the end and work back from there. Pies last bye is round 13 so after that you can stack your team with pies etc....

Nice patronising tone. I agree - I have no clue where you're coming from, because I don't see the big deal about having $1.5 million on your bench one week as opposed to $500,000 every week for three weeks. You're still going to need to cover those players at some point given we're talking about keepers (Riewoldt, Goddard, Montagna).

Unless you're coming at this purely from the point of view of league wins (in which case you need to pull your head out of your arse and consider that some people are interested in overall position before getting all patronising), I still don't see any difference between the two. If it's league wins then sure, people who don't have large numbers of premiums out in a given week will have a consistently higher score than someone who doesn't, even if they have the same average, because the latter will have more fluctuations, but at no point have you actually said that's what you're referring to.

Ok, so this is from an overall perspective.

It's highly unlikely you will have 3 good bench options as cover, and like I said before the further into the season the more unlikely it gets.

So with that in mind you want to limit the amount of premiums you have out at once.

Also, you need to make use of teams that have early byes like Collingwood and GC. Getting their premiums in after rounds 13 and 10 respectively will bolster your team because they have no more byes left.

You can also save trades for the last rounds when you might want to trade out a Judd or Gibbs so not to lose another premium on the bench when they have their bye.

Further Bulldogs have no byes from Round 4 till Round 20, Saints have no byes after round 14 - perfect opportunity is after this round to fill your team with Saints Premiums..

If you are taking it seriously these are the sort of things you should be considering. Your reasoning is amateurish and not well thought out.

I got Swan, Judd, Selwood, and Montagna in my midfield, which is a bit of overkill I think. Out of those four, who should I drop to a cheaper player? Or is this a good lineup?

See, it makes a lot more sense when you put in some reasonings so yes, I can see where you're coming from now. If you've planned out a set of upgrades/downgrades such that you pick rookies from teams with later byes (or at least only one early bye) while upgrading to premiums who's team finishes their byes earlier, it makes sense to avoid having too many out in the first half of the season. That plan had crossed my mind.

However in my opinion following that plan will likely end up with a non-optimal starting team, because the best player can potentially be dropped for one with a more favourable fit in a plan. I'd rather the strategy of picking the best team I can and making sure I have appropriate bench coverage.

Either way injuries are highly likely to play havoc with either plan, depending on which rookies and premiums get ruled out, i.e. hypothetically if the last forward premium is held for N. Riewoldt after his byes are done and then he gets injured, you've missed half a season of good scores for no reward, whereas if he gets injured before the last bye, the person who had him in since the beginning is worse off. (Just picking Riewoldt as an example. I think you'd be crazy not have Riewoldt in from the beginning regardless).

I got Swan, Judd, Selwood, and Montagna in my midfield, which is a bit of overkill I think. Out of those four, who should I drop to a cheaper player? Or is this a good lineup?

If the rest of your team hasn't suffered to maintain that line-up, I'd stick with it as they're probably the top four midfielders at this point (before we see what GAJ does this year).

Heppell v. Cheney
Heppell looks like he will play plenty of decent footy as for Cheney not sure of his JS and he will not have a huge avg, has only socored over 100 once. Although if he is guarenteed game time I'd take him, only 10k more for a mature body who has been in the system for a few years now.

Brennan V Lecras v McAffer

and 2 of
Grimes v Malceski v Gilbert v Gilbee v Fisher

Heppell looks like he will play plenty of decent footy as for Cheney not sure of his JS and he will not have a huge avg, has only socored over 100 once. Although if he is guarenteed game time I'd take him, only 10k more for a mature body who has been in the system for a few years now.

Brennan V Lecras v McAffer

and 2 of
Grimes v Malceski v Gilbert v Gilbee v Fisher

I'd go with Brennan - always a player who has shown he can average 100+ and now moving to GC where he will be a very key player, it is his best chance there.

Out of those 5 Grimes is a must. Malceski is injured so count him out and you can basically toss a coin for the remaining three. All have been very reliable SC's in the past but Gilbee seemed to start his decline last season. I'd probably lean towards Gilbert.

Tossing up Waite vs Higgins.

Waite before he did his knee has shown is very capable of averaging 105+. History shows he can take more than season to return to full fitness from a knee.
Higgins.... well I know what he is capable of but he burnt me hard last year so I want to stay away but at that price its hard.

Im assuming Higgins will miss as many if not more games through injury than Waite would with suspension.

See, it makes a lot more sense when you put in some reasonings so yes, I can see where you're coming from now. If you've planned out a set of upgrades/downgrades such that you pick rookies from teams with later byes (or at least only one early bye) while upgrading to premiums who's team finishes their byes earlier, it makes sense to avoid having too many out in the first half of the season. That plan had crossed my mind.

However in my opinion following that plan will likely end up with a non-optimal starting team, because the best player can potentially be dropped for one with a more favourable fit in a plan. I'd rather the strategy of picking the best team I can and making sure I have appropriate bench coverage.

Either way injuries are highly likely to play havoc with either plan, depending on which rookies and premiums get ruled out, i.e. hypothetically if the last forward premium is held for N. Riewoldt after his byes are done and then he gets injured, you've missed half a season of good scores for no reward, whereas if he gets injured before the last bye, the person who had him in since the beginning is worse off. (Just picking Riewoldt as an example. I think you'd be crazy not have Riewoldt in from the beginning regardless).

That's taking it a bit far. You have to pick the best forwards and Backs because there aren't as many good options in the forwards and backs as there are in the mids.

With the mids there are at least 15 players capable (most of them already have) of averaging over 110, so choosing one over the other isn't that big of a deal.

Sure I would want Swan and Pendles like i had last year, and I even wanted Judd and Murph too, but this year, at least until round 13, I've gone with Swan and premiums from 3 other clubs in the mids.

It looks like utilising the byes to the best of your advantage is a must this year, both for league and overall competitions.

Broughton v selwood?

If i went Broughton id have 5 preimumes in my back line and if i went selwood id have 4 In my midfield.

Fwdline is already strong

Broughton v selwood?

If i went Broughton id have 5 preimumes in my back line and if i went selwood id have 4 In my midfield.

Fwdline is already strong

Unsure which Selwood you mean, but if you mean Joel then I'd go with him.
If you mean Adam, I'd got with Broughton.
And if you wanted to save some money, S Selwood in my opinion is in for a big year, he'd be a good one to go for.

I've got a few:
Harbrow vs Bock vs Hurn
Tape vs Coad vs Toy
Cotchin vs Shuey vs Sidebottom vs S Selwood

Evening gents,

Who is better as a mid option:

Hodge vs Chapman ?

Rumor has it that Hodge has had a slow start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need 4 of the following, any tips please?

Franklin/rioli/green/sylvia/gia/Higgins

Haven't seen much love for Green or Gia, any strong reasons?

Unsure which Selwood you mean, but if you mean Joel then I'd go with him.
If you mean Adam, I'd got with Broughton.
And if you wanted to save some money, S Selwood in my opinion is in for a big year, he'd be a good one to go for.

I've got a few:
Harbrow vs Bock vs Hurn
Tape vs Coad vs Toy

Hurn if he can improve his efficiency, otherwise probably Bock, he will be the general down back for GC and has proven he is capable of some big scores.

Toy, he has the best job security, Coad is a very close second but I I think Toy will probably score a little better. Tape is to far down the pecking order.

Last one is a bit harder, I think all are capable of improving a lot this year. I think Sidebottom probably has the biggest up side, and he is in a top side. Cotchin would be my second choice, as he looks very good at the moment, but I have been fooled before.

I've got a few:
Harbrow vs Bock vs Hurn
Tape vs Coad vs Toy

Harbrow Vs Bock Vs Hurn

Harbrow is still a relatively unknown quantity after only breaking out last year, Bock is in the same boat after returning from a long injury lay off, whilst Hurn was one of the biggest deffensive improvers from last years game, will he be able to back it up? who knows. I have been in the same boat, but am unconvinced with a lot of these guys so I have taken the safe bet and gone for the unheralded Andrew Carrazo ($381,300 - 2010 ave. 78.90 - total points 1721 [22 games]).

Tape Vs Coad Vs Toy:

I would go with Coad first, he will play most games (if fit) whilst Toy will probably be the better scorer of the three whilst Tape may be the best cash cow with some ripper games early before tappering off later in the season.

Cotchin Vs Shuey Vs Sidebottom Vs S.Selwood

Put in players from top sides first, if they in the top 10 players in that side then that adds an extra few points. If I did not have Swan and Pendlebury already I was seriously considering Sidebottom. He should only get better, after showing some outstanding games last year he could certainly go up an extra gear again. Cotchin could over take him (Sidebottom) just as easily, as this former no. 2 draft pick showed on the w.e exactly what he is capable of, Shuey is injury prone and has hardly set the world on fire in SC terms whilst S.Selwood is hardly in the same league as Sidebottom and Cotchin.

Here is a couple for some people to think about

*posted this in the Defenders discussion

Kyle Cheney ($163,500 - Hawthorn Hawks)

OR

Paul Puopolo ($103,600 - Hawthorn Hawks)

OR

any other rookie priced at less than that of Cheney

Think that Cheney will get the nod as he has been fairly good in the pre season thus far. Whilst Puopolo is still on the rookie list and has hardly been sigthed since the first NAB Cup round.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated

J. Grant v Gartlett v Zaharakis?

I agree with Tiges to an extent, I would take Hurley over your three. Still not sold on Yarran, I will wait till the 12th hour to make my decision on him.
If you are set on one of the three you mention, Zaharakis looks to be the most improved. He will be rotating from half forward into the midfield and as put on some good kilos over summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back