Players who left your club and became better

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to think of one for West Coast in my time.

Judd was good at Carlton but I still believe he peaked at West Coast and in any case he was already a great player and remained one.

Ebert improved but my take on that is that his improvement came from getting to play in his preferred position more instead of actually improving much as a player.

Staker barely played at Brisbane. Seaby went backwards. Spangher was never a good player. Possibly Mitch Morton but I'm not really sure if he improved.

Aaron Edwards was a useful player for the Roos so I guess he counts.

Brad Ebert
Fraser Gehrig (won AA selection with us but was a handy half forward rather than a 100 goal spearhead)
Jason Ball (pretty comparable at WC and Syd but important to Syd in 05)
Jarrad Schofield (better at Port)
Dean Laidley (better at North)
Matt Clape (one season wonder at Carlton)
Matt Connell (one season wonder at Adelaide)
Mitch Morton (better at Rich, successful at Syd)
Dale Kickett (better everywhere)

Paul Williams went to the swans, won 2 best and fairests, was all Australian, won a flag and became a 300 game player...
Could argue Schuble (spelling?), think he won 2 BaFs after he left, what is it about Collingwood players going to Sydney?

Heath Scotland is another who went on to have a very good career post Collingwood.

Brad Ebert
Fraser Gehrig (won AA selection with us but was a handy half forward rather than a 100 goal spearhead)
Jason Ball (pretty comparable at WC and Syd but important to Syd in 05)
Jarrad Schofield (better at Port)
Dean Laidley (better at North)
Matt Clape (one season wonder at Carlton)
Matt Connell (one season wonder at Adelaide)
Mitch Morton (better at Rich, successful at Syd)
Dale Kickett (better everywhere)
Alex Ishchenko
Mark Zanotti
John Gastev

San Diego Chargers legend Darren Bennett? His Melbourne career alone was better.

Alex Ishchenko
Mark Zanotti
John Gastev

San Diego Chargers legend Darren Bennett? His Melbourne career alone was better.

Winston Abraham
Peter Ball
Shannon Grant
Alex Ishenko
Robert Scott
John Blakey

All played their best footy for us.

As for players who left us and became better:

Liam Pickering (bnf)
Tim McGrath
Krusty Hale (3 flags)
Turncoat Gibson (3 flags + bnf)
Jose Romero
Tony Liberatore (brownlow)
Leigh Brown (flag)
Martin Pike (3 more flags)
Byron Pickett (norm smith + another flag)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do I start ?

Callan Ward
Bernie Quinlan
Brian Wilson
Barry Round
Murray Rance
Matthew Hogg
Shane Ellen
Stephen Powell
Brett Montgomery
Bones McGhie
Josh Hill

Players who got better when they came to us.

Peter Foster
Gordon Casey
Shane Biggs
Joel Hamling
Tony Liberatore
Jose Romero
Paul Hudson
Matthew Robbins
Harvey Stevens
Nathan Eagleton

Definitely not Colin Syliva.

Scott Thompson's played a million games for Adelaide since leaving the Demons so I assume he's done something right.

Tom Scully took a while, but it's fair to say he's finally earning at least some of his paycheck.

I think Mitch Clarke played about 5 games for the Demons so whatever happened at Geelong was probably better than what happened at Melbourne, tbh I never really paid that much attention tho.

Definitely not Colin Syliva.

Scott Thompson's played a million games for Adelaide since leaving the Demons so I assume he's done something right.

Tom Scully took a while, but it's fair to say he's finally earning at least some of his paycheck.

I think Mitch Clarke played about 5 games for the Demons so whatever happened at Geelong was probably better than what happened at Melbourne, tbh I never really paid that much attention tho.
I know you dont want to hear it but Scully was always value for us, and resigned on less last year.

Toumpas
Morton
Warnock
Bruce
McDonald
Maric
Miller
Rivers
Sylvia
Moloney
Johnstone
Woewodin
Gysberts
McLean

Yeh I've thought about pre much everyone we've given up since 2007 and pretty much all of them were duds at their other clubs . You could say Scully based on last season but his four before that weren't as good as he was at the Dee's, and you'd think that after six seasons in the system, he would lift his disposal average by three. Frawley and Howe have both maintained their Dee's standards, they've always played at a pretty high level in a pretty poor team.
Thankful that we kept Watts in the end tho. If he went to another club, I have no doubt that he would've become elite.

EDIT forgot about Thompson. Absolutely huge loss at the time. Has become a legend of Adelaide. Absolutely fantastic footballer, he is getting past it though.

Toumpas
Morton
Warnock
Frawley
Bruce
McDonald
Mario
Sylvia
Moloney
Johnstone
Woewodin
Gysberts
McLean

Yeh I've thought about pre much everyone we've given up since 2007 and pretty much all of them were duds at their other clubs . You could say Scully based on last season but his four before that weren't as good as he was at the Dee's, and you'd think that after six seasons in the system, he would lift his disposal average by three.
Scully was playing a tough role in outside defence with developing teenagers around him early on. Hardly surprising he wasn't that noticeable. In 2015 his injury had an impact. Last year the guys around him grew up and he could play a more attacking role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who left your club and became better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back