Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Know anything about Patrick Weckert?
Really strong contested mark and accurate in front of the sticks, however, and possibly due to his cricket commitments prior to this year, does have some work to do on his overall craft, including; skills, leading patterns, forward craft.

He'll be a bit of a slow burn but has some pretty handy attributes that should hold him in good stead, and if you dont mind he's a little undersized as a traditional KPF, there's certainly an AFL player there with the right development

Really strong contested mark and accurate in front of the sticks, however, and possibly due to his cricket commitments prior to this year, does have some work to do on his overall craft, including; skills, leading patterns, forward craft.

He'll be a bit of a slow burn but has some pretty handy attributes that should hold him in good stead, and if you dont mind he's a little undersized as a traditional KPF, there's certainly an AFL player there with the right development
Do you think he'll be drafted?

Edwards is really the only one with somewhat decent exposed form up forward, but even he has a way to go in terms of his development there, particularly if you envisioned him as mostly a forward that pinched hit in the ruck, whilst Green sees himself as someone that can rest forward but hasn't really had exposure there. For Green, I don't think he'd be super impactful as a forward regardless given he's not quick so would struggle getting meaningful separation on a lead, but if all you needed was someone to have a Lachie Keeffe style impact he'd manage that well

Goad I don't think has it in him, physically he ticks the right boxes but he's so new to footy that his full attention should be on developing his ruck craft and general reading of the game, you could argue it's easier to do the latter of that by playing in a different position but I don't see it as worth the effort
Thank you, appreciate the insights.

I was looking for someone who will partner Samson Ryan in the longterm, where both can interchange between forward/ruck and to then provide the aerial contest to bring the ball to ground which we will lack post Lynch, as well as Lynchs ability to work contest to contest. It would make sense timeline wise to have a successor lined up for nank alongside Ryan since rucks/key forwards usually take a couple years to develop. We have done similar in the past where Coleman Jones (now at north) was a Ruck that we developed forward, same with Samson .Ryan

Do you think he'll be drafted?
Anything after 35 in this draft wouldn't surprise me, and given guys that can take genuine contested marks aren't easy to find I think there'll be interest in those last few picks, but personally more of a rookie option.
Thank you, appreciate the insights.

I was looking for someone who will partner Samson Ryan in the longterm, where both can interchange between forward/ruck and to then provide the aerial contest to bring the ball to ground which we will lack post Lynch, as well as Lynchs ability to work contest to contest. It would make sense timeline wise to have a successor lined up for nank alongside Ryan since rucks/key forwards usually take a couple years to develop. We have done similar in the past where Coleman Jones (now at north) was a Ruck that we developed forward, same with Samson .Ryan
Vigo Visentini is another option later on that I think has the other 3 trumped for forward craft and runs on the board, doesn't quite have the combination of skill or athletic profile you'll get from the other lot but as a physical tall you could do worse

I think the Saints will want another midfielder with our 1st pick, DeMattia or Edwards. Left field would be Tholstrup.
Then I think we need another developing Ruck- Goad
And then another developing KPD-Dawson, unless we pick up Van Der Houvel in the PSD?
I believe Archie Roberts is definitely in our thinking.

Knock on schoenmakers?
Short to medium kicking, overhead marking, defensive accountability, decision making, doesn't push himself as hard as he should given his endurance.

I also think his numbers are inflated by taking kick ins or being the short kick into a pocket option constantly

Short to medium kicking, overhead marking, defensive accountability, decision making, doesn't push himself as hard as he should given his endurance.

I also think his numbers are inflated by taking kick ins or being the short kick into a pocket option constantly
I thought Schoenmakers was an elite kick? late rookie pick then?

I thought Schoenmakers was an elite kick? late rookie pick then?
He's a long kick, similar to Cowan, I don't see him as 'elite'

I still think he'll go 25-45, so back half of the draft

Another batch of draft profiles coming in hot, with the Draft Guide only two weeks away (I think!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm but the experts over on draft central or whatever it’s called now list decision making as a strength…

Hmm but the experts over on draft central or whatever it’s called now list decision making as a strength…
Two different people at the same organisation having different opinions on something, scandalous!
Hi mate, what do you know about l
Luke Llyod and reece torrent. Where are they projected to go?
I wrote Lloyd's draft profile on rookiemecentral, but essentially there's a lot about his game as a traditional CHF that's really good, but similar to Logan Morris there's athletic concerns and whether he'll effectively translate

Torrent I like, has a bit of versatility and his kicking, whilst inconsistent, has really good penetration and he's typically ambitious with his options. Didn't really nail down one role this year and isn't a massive accumulator.

I'd say both are ND chances but towards the back end

IMO Schoenmaker is easily the best kick in the draft. Short and long. Yes his numbers are inflated because of the kick ins but he’s the best kick in the CTL comp so he should take them. His kicking is a real weapon. All the other RFIs I agree with. After all BF is just an opinion based forum 😜

So a Nick Daicos clone

IMO Schoenmaker is easily the best kick in the draft. Short and long. Yes his numbers are inflated because of the kick ins but he’s the best kick in the CTL comp so he should take them. His kicking is a real weapon. All the other RFIs I agree with. After all BF is just an opinion based forum 😜
Ok 🥳

Can I get your thoughts on George Stevens. If I'm not mistaken he doesn't make your top 40, but is rated by others in top 30.
All of his improvement areas are aspects of the game that are becoming more and more non-negotiable, particularly for midfielders, and some of his strengths are going to be mitigated at the next level where players are more physically developed than his U18 opposition.

We've seen players like Adam D'Aloia, Joel Trudgeon, etc. in the past that have had similarly impressive stats at U18s level get looked over due to their advanced strength and lack of pace, I don't see a significant enough POD in Stevens to see him being a better chance of succeeding as a mid.

Even as a defender, we're looking at a player with similar height and weight to Will Gould without better athleticism

All of his improvement areas are aspects of the game that are becoming more and more non-negotiable, particularly for midfielders, and some of his strengths are going to be mitigated at the next level where players are more physically developed than his U18 opposition.

We've seen players like Adam D'Aloia, Joel Trudgeon, etc. in the past that have had similarly impressive stats at U18s level get looked over due to their advanced strength and lack of pace, I don't see a significant enough POD in Stevens to see him being a better chance of succeeding as a mid.

Even as a defender, we're looking at a player with similar height and weight to Will Gould without better athleticism
This is all getting a bid weird I agree with u again. I’m sure Stevens will find a home on an AFL list but I was very surprised to see him in Twomeys top 30. What is his #1 weapon that can translate to AFL footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back