Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And as a treat out of boredom, here's a 2 round Phantom draft I made immediately post trade period. I have very little idea of list needs so apologies if you got a player a spot you're stocked for. Missing picks are because of matched bids, or in Melbourne's case because I think they'll only take 2 players

post trade 2 round phantom.PNG

PMBangers Will looks very Green… why do you think he will go ahead of Mitch Edwards? I thought Mitch looked more productive
He does I just have a feeling that Green will get taken earlier on, particularly if it's a VIC club selecting

All of his improvement areas are aspects of the game that are becoming more and more non-negotiable, particularly for midfielders, and some of his strengths are going to be mitigated at the next level where players are more physically developed than his U18 opposition.

We've seen players like Adam D'Aloia, Joel Trudgeon, etc. in the past that have had similarly impressive stats at U18s level get looked over due to their advanced strength and lack of pace, I don't see a significant enough POD in Stevens to see him being a better chance of succeeding as a mid.

Even as a defender, we're looking at a player with similar height and weight to Will Gould without better athleticism

While i have some concerns in the areas you do its important to note a lot of those slow one position inside mids that didnt get drafted had bog average kicking skills (d aloia is a classic example here). Stevens is different in that his kicking skills and vision are actually really good so i can see him playing a role in the back half. I suppose thats weird to think of because most attacking half backs dont have his body shape (they are lean quick runners) but it could work. The interesting thing is his 2k tine because it indicates all the extra weight isnt impacting his endurance much (which theoretically it should be). I know some well connected people in recruiting who rate him very highly for leadership and in a pool full of spec picks like this, that will definitely see him drafted (despite the athletic queries) its just a matter of how late he goes.

While i have some concerns in the areas you do its important to note a lot of those slow one position inside mids that didnt get drafted had bog average kicking skills (d aloia is a classic example here). Stevens is different in that his kicking skills and vision are actually really good so i can see him playing a role in the back half. I suppose thats weird to think of because most attacking half backs dont have his body shape (they are lean quick runners) but it could work. The interesting thing is his 2k tine because it indicates all the extra weight isnt impacting his endurance much (which theoretically it should be). I know some well connected people in recruiting who rate him very highly for leadership and in a pool full of spec picks like this, that will definitely see him drafted (despite the athletic queries) its just a matter of how late he goes.
I fully expect he'll go top 30 and settle in to a defensive role, I know a couple of clubs that have him top 20 so I'd be shocked if he was completely looked over

Short to medium kicking, overhead marking, defensive accountability, decision making, doesn't push himself as hard as he should given his endurance.

I also think his numbers are inflated by taking kick ins or being the short kick into a pocket option constantly
The more I watched his tape.
The more I see why he’s dropping down the draft boards.
You nailed it on your observations.

Archie Roberts reminds me of Jordan Clark with a bit more strength at that age.

Short to medium kicking, overhead marking, defensive accountability, decision making, doesn't push himself as hard as he should given his endurance.

I also think his numbers are inflated by taking kick ins or being the short kick into a pocket option constantly
I agree what I have seen of him looks very cheap in his possesions and doesn’t really have much other than a boot, lacks a bit of dog. (Very limited I’ve seen of him though but was suprised with the amount of hype.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you took away his kick ins his numbers would still be very high for a player his size and position though. Will be interesting to see where he goes. I have seen him at pick like 12 on an ESPN article which I think is way too high. Twomey is hard to argue with and has him just outside the 30. I think I optimistically guessed 22-32 before I saw were Twomey had him.

I like his chances of making it in the AFL a bit more than McCallum who went 38 last year.

as an Essendon supporter, I could live with this

A midfielder (Windsor), a developing ruck (Edwards) and a possible small defender (Lual)
You could live with another small midfielder ? 184cm and 76kg.

from those highlights, he reminds me of Aandy McGrath.. a lot

Thats what i thought too. I think he will be a solid player but i wouldnt spend a top 10 pick on him. But as a late 1st/early 2nd hes fine-fairly safe pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back