POLL: Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The board answers to no one and gives out no information about process or motivation.
Therefore snakes like a certain ex Collingwood person now employed in the media were able to constantly leak to the media.

There is only one reason to make the inner workings of the board of a football club secret.

How does that compare with the 17 other clubs?

They have. Not sure if you heard but they want the members to be more involved in the club.
we have a glasshouse which has massive rooms to host and we don’t use them for the members. David wants us to have a social club get together at the glasshouse after the game and get a player or two back to mingle with the fans.
You don't need a full spill of the board though for that.

I would prefer an Incumbent Board to appoint/replace new/additional Board members.
However the Members should vote for the President when the term expires.
The members have always had the right to vote for board members when they come up for -re-election every three years. Anyone can stand against these board member at that time if they have been a member for two years.

After the election the board then elects their President. The member have never at any time had the right to vote directly for who is President.

Korda just not outlining a vision.

I agree.

But how many folks expect that of their footy club?

I’d imagine that for the large majority of supporters and maybe even members, they just want to have a club that isn’t broke, and that they can on the telly and watch their team put on a good show, and that their footy team doesn’t identify them as redneck / racist / cheaters / etc

I think communication needs to improve a lot.

Perhaps one of the problems with modern comms is that it is measured so much, and there is that eternal quest to maximize eyeballs, clicks, etc, etc. Especially for a footy club that is trying to squeeze maximum value from its modest resources.

I wonder if sometimes it makes sense in some cases to not be so locked into direct metrics.

CFC circulate an annual financial report every year. How many folks open it up? Read it? Study it? Probably very few. But imagine the outcry if the club decided not to circulate it?

The point is that (1) People want to have the freedom to be able to look at it if they chose to and (2) The people who do read Annual reports talk to other people. (They’re usually the cool kids at parties)

Ditto ‘Do Better’ report. How many folks read the progress report put out by the club this week?

Same applies to online VFL coverage. The number of people who watch a VFL game online is probably in the hundreds. I am not so interested in them myself - I’d watch one from time-to-time, but what I am a lot more interested in are the thoughts and opinions of folks who do watch those games. Little things like this become chatter through the community. “Cox had a good game”, “Reef is out injured”, “Tohill is developing nicely”. And if there is no VFL coverage then there is no chatter.

Consider for example if Mark Anderson put out a monthly short video “Behind the scenes”, which did as it says on the tin. It wouldn’t have an interview with Daicos or Moore or Elliott, so it wouldn’t get kazillions of hits. But folks like me and you and David Hatley would watch it, and it would create chatter through the community.

The media lap that stuff up too and regurgitate it to us on the coverage. Consider how the factoid “Did you know that Pendles has a basketball background?” become so cliche. Maybe it’s because there is such a lack of chatter factoids.

I agree.

But how many folks expect that of their footy club?

I’d imagine that for the large majority of supporters and maybe even members, they just want to have a club ...

... that their footy team doesn’t identify them as redneck / racist / cheaters / etc
I’d imagine for most clubs’ supporters the idea doesn’t even occur to them.

Came here to post a link to the same article. :heart: Johno and he is very sensible.
I'm still waking up at 5am to go to the gym, but of course it's closed. Have to do something to fill in my time before work.

Perhaps one of the problems with modern comms is that it is measured so much, and there is that eternal quest to maximize eyeballs, clicks, etc, etc. Especially for a footy club that is trying to squeeze maximum value from its modest resources.

I wonder if sometimes it makes sense in some cases to not be so locked into direct metrics.

CFC circulate an annual financial report every year. How many folks open it up? Read it? Study it? Probably very few. But imagine the outcry if the club decided not to circulate it?

The point is that (1) People want to have the freedom to be able to look at it if they chose to and (2) The people who do read Annual reports talk to other people. (They’re usually the cool kids at parties)

Ditto ‘Do Better’ report. How many folks read the progress report put out by the club this week?

Same applies to online VFL coverage. The number of people who watch a VFL game online is probably in the hundreds. I am not so interested in them myself - I’d watch one from time-to-time, but what I am a lot more interested in are the thoughts and opinions of folks who do watch those games. Little things like this become chatter through the community. “Cox had a good game”, “Reef is out injured”, “Tohill is developing nicely”. And if there is no VFL coverage then there is no chatter.

Consider for example if Mark Anderson put out a monthly short video “Behind the scenes”, which did as it says on the tin. It wouldn’t have an interview with Daicos or Moore or Elliott, so it wouldn’t get kazillions of hits. But folks like me and you and David Hatley would watch it, and it would create chatter through the community.

The media lap that stuff up too and regurgitate it to us on the coverage. Consider how the factoid “Did you know that Pendles has a basketball background?” become so cliche. Maybe it’s because there is such a lack of chatter factoids.

I guess the danger of not providing those factoid's is that people manufacture their own.

Ben Johnson was on the Club's payroll for a time. Chris Tarrant was last year as well. Not sure what happened after COVID, but I'm not surprised Ben would be supporting Lica and the current board. That Tom Browne is reporting that Lica and Wright are in dispute over Buckley is very interesting. Where would this leak to Tom come from? Wright is inclined to retain Buckley, whilst Licuria thinks his time is up according to Browne. I think this board is now beyond hope.

That Tom Browne is reporting that Lica and Wright are in dispute over Buckley is very interesting. Where would this leak to Tom come from?

Surely Tom Browne has a conflict of interest?

Surprised he’s reporting anything on this matter. Actually, I’m not surprised.

Ben Johnson was on the Club's payroll for a time. Chris Tarrant was last year as well. Not sure what happened after COVID, but I'm not surprised Ben would be supporting Lica and the current board. That Tom Browne is reporting that Lica and Wright are in dispute over Buckley is very interesting. Where would this leak to Tom come from? Wright is inclined to retain Buckley, whilst Licuria thinks his time is up according to Browne. I think this board is now beyond hope.
We shouldn't be even slightly surprised if the board encouraged some past players to back them up.
Lots of respect for Johnno, the board & footy dept - maybe not so much....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love BJ and he loves the club, so I respect his opinion:

While the headline is around the egm the bigger takeaway for mine is Johnson’s comments for a fresh voice for the players. He doesn’t elaborate if this view is the head coach or assistants though.

Fits with Johnson’s comments on a fresh voice and backing Licuria

Here’s the Tom Browne interview ...

...man,he said absolutely nothing in five minutes that you could hang your hat on!

On Footy Classified tonight, Caro opened with a Collingwood story. She reported that Geoff Browne is stuck in Sydney but on return will go to the Board to ask for a handover. Browne, she said, wants to avoid an EGM.
Jeff Browne for the record

On Footy Classified tonight, Caro opened with a Collingwood story. She reported that Geoff Browne is stuck in Sydney but on return will go to the Board to ask for a handover. Browne, she said, wants to avoid an EGM.
That would be a good result, but I am skeptical that it can happen.

So Brownes still sitting in the shadows saying nothing? It doesn't speak well of the bloke that he is saying nothing while the media smacks us for 'instability' which he's partly causing, yet he won't come forward and discuss his intentions and vision with supporters. Comes across as gutless, sneaky and with no transparency to me.

So Brownes still sitting in the shadows saying nothing? It doesn't speak well of the bloke that he is saying nothing while the media smacks us for 'instability' which he's partly causing, yet he won't come forward and discuss his intentions and vision with supporters. Comes across as gutless, sneaky and with no transparency to me.
Should be in parliament.

Boardrooms are not my native habitat, so please forgive the naive question;

Is there a benefit to Browne in not going public with his agenda/vision, if his goal is a bloodless coup and getting himself and a couple of his mates on the board rather than a complete spill at an EGM? Does making it less adversarial allow Korda to save face?

Back