POLL: Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The club are obliged to run an independent audit of the books. The club do appear to take this seriously: before Jodie Sizer (PWC consulting) joined the board the club changed auditors from PWC to EY. The club then do publish and circulate this annual report to the members. It’s not totally transparent - for example it could not be seen from the annual report how the Star Athletic brand was performing for the club ... but it did give the general top level insight into whether the club was flush or broke or whereabouts in between.

And as much as people do like to complain and be conscientious objectors about aspects of the financials ... there’s been far far more speculation about how well we are / aren’t doing, than there is discussion around the actual numbers in the annual report when it’s released.

The club do run an AGM where all the board turn up, and all the voting members can ask questions of the board. A minority of members do waste their question on frivolous enquires (IMO). But there are also questions that generate insight too (IMO)

Our club was the first to establish a members forum. Not going to please everyone, but most folks who have attended those would reasonably feel like the club was being as open and candid as they could be taking into account privacy and confidentiality issues.

I have always found that when the club are either one-on-one, or in the privacy of the members, they are very open and candid.

We’re 16th on the ladder. If we had an ageing list, and hadn’t debuted 8 players by round 12, and hadn’t given games to four additional newbies, and didn’t have a handful of more prospects on our list, and didn’t hold two picks at the MSD, and didn’t have one of the most respected footy bosses in the league recently join the club ... then yeah, I’d agree our football department would be n crisis, but that’s not the case.

And the on field issues are clearly not systemic club wide (unlike Carlton of around 3 years ago) because our other teams are doing much better.

If our club was broke, then yeah, we’d be in crisis, but we’re far far away from being that.

If our facilities were derelict, then yeah, we’d be in crisis, but that’s not the case.

The club is dealing with the Do Better report, which some might describe as a crisis - but the club led by the board and a working group of around a dozen people are dealing with that and reporting progress back to members every three months. IMO the club seem to handling that as well as can be - and can’t see at all that a club led by a different board would be doing any better?

The only candidate for ‘crisis’ I see is that a portion of the membership feel disconnected from the club.
I understand your attitude and feelings 76 but I disagree, I hope you are correct and that I am just feeling an echo of the new magpies but I'm not convinced.

One of the key things that many folks led by Hatly are complaining about the club, is lack of transparency. But folks aren’t really getting that with the new ticket(s) either, are they?

The new ticket(s) aren’t putting themselves out there, they’re not putting out their ideas for consideration, review, or for open debate.

Maybe that’s their plan? Maybe they believe it’ll help their cause by limiting open discussion? But is that what folks really want?
They have. Not sure if you heard but they want the members to be more involved in the club.
we have a glasshouse which has massive rooms to host and we don’t use them for the members. David wants us to have a social club get together at the glasshouse after the game and get a player or two back to mingle with the fans.

They have. Not sure if you heard but they want ...

Who is “they”? I haven’t heard anything from anybody who is going for a position on the board (apart from the incumbents)

Yes, I have heard from Hatly, I watched his interview on TCR and various media. I’ve read the details of the petition on the website collecting signatures ...

... I’ve read countless POV from folks on here and other forums ...

... I’ve read / heard editorials from journo’s ...

... but nothing from anybody who is putting themselves on the chopping board and declaring “This is what I stand for ...”

... the members to be more involved in the club.

I hear you and I agree that the club could and should be doing more with membership engagement.

But what are the specifics of that? What specifically will a board alternative do to have members more engaged in the club?

... we have a glasshouse which has massive rooms to host and we don’t use them for the members.

TBH, I don’t really understand this issue. As a social club member, I’ve been in the Glasshouse before games for a drink. Last time was probably around three years ago. Do they not do this anymore? Ever? Or only when it’s not booked for something else?

David wants us to have a social club get together at the glasshouse after the game and get a player or two back to mingle with the fans.

I think the “player or two mingle with the fans” thing is some romantic notion from yesteryear. I just don’t think the modern game allows it. Players these days are robots indoctrinated with cliches from the PR folks. Even getting them to run up to thank the cheer squad at away games - from the safe confines of the oval - is clearly like pulling teeth. Could you imagine it ...

Punter: “Hey Pendles, can I buy you a drink ?”

Pendles: “Yeah, sure. Bundy and coke thanks mate, make it a double.”

Punter: “No worries, here you go”

Pendles: “Cheers, thanks mate. Can I blag a ciggie and a light off ya?”

Punter: “Of course! How did you go today?”

Pendles: “Did alright. I ****ed the whole role playing thing right off and smashed some bodies and took a few pings at the big sticks. Felt good ...”

The last news that I heard was that David Hatley and his mates organised a petition outside the MCG at last week's game.

Since then, I have heard nothing. I searched the net for recent news and there was nada..... although I heard a rumour that he got enough signatures.

So why hasnt the media hounded this guy to find out what he is going to do with the petition. If he hangs on to it and does some back-room deal, I wont be too impressed.

Was on the Collingwood rant podcast during the week
Plan at that stage was to collect signatures at the Geelong game then meet with Korda
Can’t recall all the gory details post this event.
Download and have a listen but assume plans have been changed or been put on hold for obvious reasons

A good and balanced look from the outside.

He is drawing parallels with the new magpies which I've stated often I have seen and fear because of the destructiveness of hyperbole without substance.

There seems to be no genuine statesmen among the board or even the membership.

Very concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the best way to restore democracy (a voice) to supporters at this club?

Should board appointments need to be voted on by members? Do we want that?
I don’t want that kind of hassle man.

I would prefer an Incumbent Board to appoint/replace new/additional Board members.
However the Members should vote for the President when the term expires.
There also needs to be 100% transparency - no more hiding behind non disclosure.

What do you mean by that?
The board answers to no one and gives out no information about process or motivation.
Therefore snakes like a certain ex Collingwood person now employed in the media were able to constantly leak to the media.

There is only one reason to make the inner workings of the board of a football club secret.

Remove this Banner Ad

POLL: Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

Back