List Mgmt. Poll: Who do we take with pick 2 or do we trade it?

With pick 2 in the 2024 AFL Draft we should:

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting draft this year.

Seems there’s plenty of value and I think looking back there’ll be a few “hidden gems” in the 20-40 range.

I’d like to trade 2 for x2 top 10s and land Trainor and Armstrong or go for both whitlocks with our second rounder also.

Trainor seems like a Goddard type. Defender but also a bit of a utility. Be good to have a natural footballer at 195cm we can push around the park. Sort of like a big version of Sheezel.

I think we should draft for need and not best available. Partly because I think that’s just a smart thing to do but also because of the consistent profile of this draft. In 5 years time the best player may end up coming at pick 25

I’m leaning towards taking FOS or Langford at 2 and see best available key forward at our second rounder Sims perhaps. That said if we could land 6 and 9 in a trade be very tempted to take Armstrong and Trainor, and Hotton if slides or Moraes in the second round. Of course no guarantees that both Armstrong and Trainor available at 6 and 9. So prefer to take our pick at 2 and try getting another pick in this draft by trading in a future pick perhaps.

I am assuming we would have issues finding good trades, a bit like when we wanted to split pick 3 back when we took Phillips, there wasn't a lot of confidence in the top end that was available.

I’m leaning towards taking FOS or Langford at 2 and see best available key forward at our second rounder Sims perhaps. That said if we could land 6 and 9 in a trade be very tempted to take Armstrong and Trainor, and Hotton if slides or Moraes in the second round. Of course no guarantees that both Armstrong and Trainor available at 6 and 9. So prefer to take our pick at 2 and try getting another pick in this draft by trading in a future pick perhaps.
This is what l would like to see also however for something like this to happen we will have to wait for things to settle down to see what picks we can bundle together for our pick#2 . If we want both Armstrong and Trainor would we try for say 6 and 9 or maybe something like a 7 and 8? Having 2 picks together or praying that no other club takes the player we are after ...

This is what l would like to see also however for something like this to happen we will have to wait for things to settle down to see what picks we can bundle together for our pick#2 . If we want both Armstrong and Trainor would we try for say 6 and 9 or maybe something like a 7 and 8? Having 2 picks together or praying that no other club takes the player we are after ...
Something like that, recruiters will have an inkling on what clubs are into certain players, even more so come draft time, of course you have to assume some teams like Richmond are thinking four or five players are still in the mix for their first pick. Will & Brady will have a "talent list" on who we are targeting so on the off chance a team picks the player we are after {and didn't anticipate the selection} as disappointed as we would be you move on to the next target on our whiteboard, there is no time to dwell on these things when the draft starts, to many things happening, calls to be made and so on, everybody has to be so switched on/ focused.

We will have a backup plan ready if that's what I can call it, but hopefully we can get the players we are after with whatever picks we end up with! ;)

I'd like to see us trade it for two first rounders. I'd like to see Traonor and Armstrong in Royal Blue and White

I am assuming we would have issues finding good trades, a bit like when we wanted to split pick 3 back when we took Phillips, there wasn't a lot of confidence in the top end that was available.
Maybe/maybe not, I know lots of people keep going back to the "covid draft", but in fairness it was apples & oranges, apart from Riley Thilthorpe, it was quite open and that's forgetting all the silliness about Logan Mcdonald, in this draft I think some supporters from a lot of clubs are not quite on track with this draft. I could be so wrong but I believe recruiters are very excited about this draft favouring the top 30 selections, give or take a few, add in all the questions being raised I have never seen a draft quite like this one its quite unbelievable.

Quite a few posters think that a suitable trade for our pick 2 {if we wanted to trade it} would be almost impossible but there are in fact many possibilities, I don't know if that's the head scratcher some are making it out to be, as I've said before, the big question marks is who are the top 3 names, talent wise on OUR list and the key forward we have identified as our target, what number is he on that list? THAT would clear up just about everything as far as our first two/three picks in the draft play out and what we intend to do.

Tough one.
Draper for Speed and Poise which is the combination we lack.

Phillips, Sheezel, Powell - poise, not so much speed.

Wardlaw - Speed. Not so much poise because he he operates like a manic machine.

FOS has a lot of other extra’s, that are probably more reminiscent of LDU?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't changed my mind about this; If we go a mid, then Finn or Sid and I certainly wont be disappointed with Sam, Josh, Jagga or Harvey. If we go say Armstrong at pick 2, that tells me more than a few really rate him and if we don't take him someone else will. If we split the pick I would be very happy if we chose the best key forward at our first selection and an elite small with our second.

My preference is splitting our pick on the deal that we select Harry and one of Berry/Hotton /Reid as I believe all 3 can play as that small forward role as well as other positions, and those three are so classy.
Imagine the best key forward Harry Armstrong + Murphy Reid or Taj Hotton or Joe Berry. that's insane. Pick 22 then could be used on either the Gman {Kayle Gerreyn} / Harry O'Farrell / Luke Urquhart / Tom Gross or Noah Mraz, then River Stevens or we rookie him.

I just don't think there's that much of a difference between the fancied key forwards in this draft. If most are considered to be worth a late first or second rounder, then it would be a big mistake to use pick 2 on Armstrong.

Interesting view that we need to add further top end draftees to our midfield. Not saying we are currently the finished product, but surely Sheezel Wardlaw, LDU, Mckercher, Powell is a midfield that we can build around via a combination of trades and hitting on 1 or 2 lower picks (2nd 3rd 4th rounders) over the next 2-3 drafts.

If we get Parker, it would make sense to split for two 1sts.
Sam Harris also on the horizon in 2026 as midfield depth.
Get a versatile mid/fwd like Lalor or Murphy Reid or take one of the kpf like Armstrong/J Whitlock/Shanahan and small forward like Berry or Hotton (not as keen on with ACL), depending on what we do at the earlier 1st.
Another option could be Trainor to get a better ball user off half back but I think he slides out of the top 10.

Interesting view that we need to add further top end draftees to our midfield. Not saying we are currently the finished product, but surely Sheezel Wardlaw, LDU, Mckercher, Powell is a midfield that we can build around via a combination of trades and hitting on 1 or 2 lower picks (2nd 3rd 4th rounders) over the next 2-3 drafts.
Honestly I think Sheeze is the only one you can put your house on there. LDU is obviously a gun but he needs X and Y to compliment him to dominate where as Sheezel doesn’t need any variables. Wardlaw is a hugely promising youngster but hasn’t made it yet, McKercher the same thing and Powell is probably a rung or two below my previous description of Wardlaw and Kerch. We need one more sure thing and if it isn’t coming via trade next best option is top end talent at the top of the draft.

Kind of off topic but I honestly feel with our plethora of hff’s - if Bull can get himself midfield, four quarter gut running fit, he could answer a few of our questions. He could be the big body mid we’ve been crying out for to help LDU, but it’s a huge stretch to see it happening. Has all the tools though if he got there.

Honestly I think Sheeze is the only one you can put your house on there. LDU is obviously a gun but he needs X and Y to compliment him to dominate where as Sheezel doesn’t need any variables. Wardlaw is a hugely promising youngster but hasn’t made it yet, McKercher the same thing and Powell is probably a rung or two below my previous description of Wardlaw and Kerch. We need one more sure thing and if it isn’t coming via trade next best option is top end talent at the top of the draft.

Kind of off topic but I honestly feel with our plethora of hff’s - if Bull can get himself midfield, four quarter gut running fit, he could answer a few of our questions. He could be the big body mid we’ve been crying out for to help LDU, but it’s a huge stretch to see it happening. Has all the tools though if he got there.
I hope so re: Cam but I'm not convinced he has - or will ever - have the right brain / vision - to be a regular mid. Impact mid, maybe for the odd centre clearance.

I just don't think there's that much of a difference between the fancied key forwards in this draft. If most are considered to be worth a late first or second rounder, then it would be a big mistake to use pick 2 on Armstrong.
Well if that's the case and we can get Harry at say our second pick in this draft then I'm all for getting an elite midfielder and finishing our midfield off with our first pick, potential wise I would be gobsmacked if Harry Armstrong & Jack Whitlock didn't go first round.

I expect them to go very high up the order, as I've said before, only the recruiters will know or have a fair idea about what range these two forwards will go, but it only takes one rouge recruiter, {hate to say it like that, more a "He's fallen into our laps, we have to get him" like attitude and he's "gone" all for trying to be greedy, and then if they are both gone, hey we can then say yes but we got our gun mid and the 3rd/4th best rated forward by us we will pick up and roll out with the line he was always on our radar, neglecting or should I say not informing our supporters that our first two rated forwards were "gone" so we went the next best one.

100%. To me this looks like and key forward draft if ever there was one. If we split pick 2 (which the majority want, I see that) then we get a decent key forward either way (maybe two) and a lesser midfielder. Maybe. I'd rather take the still decent key forward in the 2nd round after we've taken a prime midfielder at pick 2. A Sheezel/McKercher/Wardlaw type. Please. Make this happen.

If there’s any way we can split the #2 pick for something the sum of which is not more than 16, we will do it. And we will then draft a forward and a utility. And we better get it right, Brady.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Poll: Who do we take with pick 2 or do we trade it?

Back