Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 62 18.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Billings

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Kolodjashnij

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Aish

Votes: 74 22.6%
  • Scharenberg

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • McDonald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeman

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Sheed

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Salem

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Crouch

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • McCarthy

• Gardiner

• Taylor

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Acres

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Hartung

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Battersby

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other player not mentioned in poll

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree 100%. I really hope we don't select Aish. Not tall, not overly quick, skinny, has had a shoulder reco in his teens. Seems to me to be a player that is good in many areas, but not elite in any.

655dbbfa-a798-42c1-8ec1-5f3b4026f400_arodfacebls.gif

Aish or Scharenberg, heck hard decision.
Yep. Suck it up Dekka. You know you're going to have a massive grin when you pick one of these guys at 6.:rainbow:

If the other is there at 10, I can see a fight between Rendell and Hine as to who'll read out the name quicker.:thumbsu:

Scharenberg WILL be a superstar of the AFL however I am wary that Aish has the potential to turn out to be a Salopek. Classy, skilful, not particularly quick and not a game changer. All the attributes I see in Scharenberg I like - tough, outstanding reader of play, strong overhead, quick on his feet, makes VERY fast decisions and moves through traffic well. I would take him over Aish and most others.

Don't worry - if these are the qualities that stand out for Scharenberg then I am absolutely 100% confident that our recruitment team will see this, and if available will pick him at 6. I had him going as high as 2, but that seems now not the case. If Scharenberg slides to 6 regardless of whether Aish is there, I would take him in a heart beat.

If Aish slides down to 10 I would take him, but there will be plenty on offer still at pick 10 to make us happy.

Either Scharenberg or Aish would be good at 6. However, if we get Aish then I think we need a taller player at 10. Bontempelli or Acres if available, or perhaps even Sheed. McCarthy also ok if we want to go down that track.

Salem looks good but as DaVe has pointed out, Aish & Salem (or a similar combo) leaves us with a future midfield that is quite below average on height -Kennedy, Blair, Broomhead, Adams, (eg Aish & Salem).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope if the bulldogs don't take Bontempelli at 4 and he ends up being available at 10 we take him. from his highlights (yes i know) he looks really good, he moves well for a guy of his height, seems to be reasonable overhead and has a very attacking handball as well.

I'm on the Aish bandwagon.

People are trying to find reasons as to why he will fail at the elite level. 'He is too small, he won't put on any size, too outside, the next Xavier Ellis' etc etc when he is clearly the standout midfielder of this draft, look at his CV, no comes close to what he's done so far. He is an elite player and from the outside he looks like he has the right attitude and commitment to excel in the AFL.

Get him into our development system and he will be an absolute superstar in 4-5 years time.

I'm going to start screen shotting the fickle supporters who're against draft James Aish and absolutely terrorise you for the remainder of you big footy life's for ever doubting him!

Enough of the doubting, it sickens me!

In other news - Melbourne have committed to taking Christian Salem at pick 9, which means Matthew Rendell gets to re-draft a carbon copy of the kid he took at pick 10 this time 6 years ago.

Rendell has been watching his highlight tapes all week

download.jpg

I'm going to start screen shotting the fickle supporters who're against draft James Aish and absolutely terrorise you for the remainder of you big footy life's for ever doubting him!

In other news - Melbourne have committed to taking Christian Salem at pick 9, which means Matthew Rendell gets to re-draft a carbon copy of the kid he took at pick 10 this time 6 years ago.

View attachment 35938
I would trade my future first born for a carbon copy of dange

View attachment 35938

I don't know about that.

#21 – NATHAN FREEMAN
Height: 184cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 16/6/1995
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

I’m a tiny bit shocked at the top ten talk because I feel like I’ve missed something. Freeman’s always been around this range for me and nothing’s really changed. Was it his Combine? It was damn impressive but nothing surprised me. Anyway, it’s not that I don’t rate him; it’s just that I see him as a second-tier prospect rather than a top-tier prospect. He’s hardly busted a game open and with his size and aerobic ability, you’d think he would’ve ran rings around the TAC competition this year, but he just didn’t. You want to see more if you want to spend a first round draft pick on him to be honest.

I’ll start with his Combine because it has been such a talking point, and the thing that we can establish with Nathan Freeman is that he is an outstanding runner. He ran the second fastest 20m sprint with 2.82 seconds, was in the top 21% in agility, ran a 14.10 beep test, recorded the fastest time in the repeat sprints, and was in the top 12% in the 3km time trial. He is a machine of a kid which has had most people salivating. The other thing about Freeman is his size. He has a ready-made body for AFL. His skinfolds were not great which in a way, is a positive. The guy has more potential to increase in his running which is scary.

Football-wise, Freeman’s strength lies in his line-breaking ability and breaking away from stoppages using his obvious pace. I think his clearance ability is overstated and the comparisons to Dangerfield are utterly crazy. They’re completely different types of players. Freeman isn’t a ‘bash and crash’ midfielder (which I find odd and will explain later), he tends to lurk around the contest and receive the handball instead, which is fine with his pace, but he’s got the body to make an impact in there and I’m not sure why he doesn’t.

With his role on the outside and his ability to break away from pressure situations, his kicking leaves a lot to be desired. He has a very high ball drop and his kicks tend to be very loopy. It gives him trouble when he’s running at full pace with that kicking style. He’s prone to the shank and I just don’t find his kicks all that advantageous. He also tends to just bomb out if nothing presents and that isn’t a great testament to his composure under pressure.

He showed some ability to kick goals in 2012 but unfortunately hasn’t mirrored that this year and I think that’s a slight concern. With his pace and size he should be a more than handy forward when he rests there but he hasn’t shown it.

I’ll bring up his inside game again because it just confuses me. I’m not sure if he’s told to hang around the packs but whatever it is I don’t think it is the right move. He’s a big kid that has enormous power through the hips. He should be getting in there and coming out with it and then dishing it off to a better ball user in space. I think his role is a bit backwards because I don’t think his disposal is quite good enough to be playing the outside role.

I’ve found Freeman hard to assess. I feel like I’m missing out on something big here but every time I go back I think, ‘hey he plays just like Matt White’. While that’s not a bad thing, I’m not sure I’d be spending a big pick on him. Freeman has the athletic ability to be a machine of a midfielder, but in my opinion he hasn’t shown it yet. This will sound like a really harsh assessment but it’s really not. I just would’ve liked to have seen more, and I don’t think that’s too much to ask for from a touted top ten pick.

Seems at the Moment it's out of Aish and Sharenberg.

Do we go with Aish who is a Medium Inside/Outside Mid who uses the Ball well. Bit like Pendles.

or

Sharenberg who is can play as a Tall Midfielder or as a 3rd Tall in Defence or up Forward

I don't know about that.

#21 – NATHAN FREEMAN
Height: 184cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 16/6/1995
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

I’m a tiny bit shocked at the top ten talk because I feel like I’ve missed something. Freeman’s always been around this range for me and nothing’s really changed. Was it his Combine? It was damn impressive but nothing surprised me. Anyway, it’s not that I don’t rate him; it’s just that I see him as a second-tier prospect rather than a top-tier prospect. He’s hardly busted a game open and with his size and aerobic ability, you’d think he would’ve ran rings around the TAC competition this year, but he just didn’t. You want to see more if you want to spend a first round draft pick on him to be honest.

I’ll start with his Combine because it has been such a talking point, and the thing that we can establish with Nathan Freeman is that he is an outstanding runner. He ran the second fastest 20m sprint with 2.82 seconds, was in the top 21% in agility, ran a 14.10 beep test, recorded the fastest time in the repeat sprints, and was in the top 12% in the 3km time trial. He is a machine of a kid which has had most people salivating. The other thing about Freeman is his size. He has a ready-made body for AFL. His skinfolds were not great which in a way, is a positive. The guy has more potential to increase in his running which is scary.

Football-wise, Freeman’s strength lies in his line-breaking ability and breaking away from stoppages using his obvious pace. I think his clearance ability is overstated and the comparisons to Dangerfield are utterly crazy. They’re completely different types of players. Freeman isn’t a ‘bash and crash’ midfielder (which I find odd and will explain later), he tends to lurk around the contest and receive the handball instead, which is fine with his pace, but he’s got the body to make an impact in there and I’m not sure why he doesn’t.

With his role on the outside and his ability to break away from pressure situations, his kicking leaves a lot to be desired. He has a very high ball drop and his kicks tend to be very loopy. It gives him trouble when he’s running at full pace with that kicking style. He’s prone to the shank and I just don’t find his kicks all that advantageous. He also tends to just bomb out if nothing presents and that isn’t a great testament to his composure under pressure.

He showed some ability to kick goals in 2012 but unfortunately hasn’t mirrored that this year and I think that’s a slight concern. With his pace and size he should be a more than handy forward when he rests there but he hasn’t shown it.

I’ll bring up his inside game again because it just confuses me. I’m not sure if he’s told to hang around the packs but whatever it is I don’t think it is the right move. He’s a big kid that has enormous power through the hips. He should be getting in there and coming out with it and then dishing it off to a better ball user in space. I think his role is a bit backwards because I don’t think his disposal is quite good enough to be playing the outside role.

I’ve found Freeman hard to assess. I feel like I’m missing out on something big here but every time I go back I think, ‘hey he plays just like Matt White’. While that’s not a bad thing, I’m not sure I’d be spending a big pick on him. Freeman has the athletic ability to be a machine of a midfielder, but in my opinion he hasn’t shown it yet. This will sound like a really harsh assessment but it’s really not. I just would’ve liked to have seen more, and I don’t think that’s too much to ask for from a touted top ten pick.

I'd challenge whoever wrote that to state exactly how many games he's watched Freeman play over the course of the past two years, spread across APS, the dragons and Metro.

Danger was largley an outside player who's disposal by foot was nothing overly flash. There are plenty of similarities between the two, particuarly that they've got that raw speed and strong agility. Freeman finds a lot of the ball, and although he can often be a bit over enthusiastic with his disposal, his tackling is ferocious, he lays some big fits and bodies up nicely in a 1v1 up forward.

With size and continued development, they are very, very similar types of players. Have you seen how scrawny Danger was in 07?

Oh, and for the record - the Dangerfield comparisions came about as Hine was the recruiter who drew the comparisions, not on-lookers making the call.

I'd say he's more like a Luke Shuey than anything, but he kicks goals just as well as Danger did at the same age.

I'd challenge whoever wrote that to state exactly how many games he's watched Freeman play over the course of the past two years, spread across APS, the dragons and Metro.

Danger was largley an outside player who's disposal by foot was nothing overly flash. There are plenty of similarities between the two, particuarly that they've got that raw speed and strong agility. Freeman finds a lot of the ball, and although he can often be a bit over enthusiastic with his disposal, his tackling is ferocious, he lays some big fits and bodies up nicely in a 1v1 up forward.

With size and continued development, they are very, very similar types of players. Have you seen how scrawny Danger was in 07?

Oh, and for the record - the Dangerfield comparisions came about as Hine was the recruiter who drew the comparisions, not on-lookers making the call.

I'd say he's more like a Luke Shuey than anything, but he kicks goals just as well as Danger did at the same age.
Do you think he will end up at the dees?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Back