Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 62 18.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Billings

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Kolodjashnij

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Aish

Votes: 74 22.6%
  • Scharenberg

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • McDonald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeman

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Sheed

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Salem

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Crouch

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • McCarthy

• Gardiner

• Taylor

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Acres

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Hartung

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Battersby

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other player not mentioned in poll

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's looking like him or Salem, but paige just said above dees have committed to salem. She would know a hell of a lot more than me so i'll go with no he won't be at the dees
You can ask me if you have any questions on the potential draftees.
I'm up to speed on everything after having watched 1 minute snippets on youtube.

I'm going to start screen shotting the fickle supporters who're against draft James Aish and absolutely terrorise you for the remainder of you big footy life's for ever doubting him!

Enough of the doubting, it sickens me!

I'm not one of the doubters, in fact I'm that "sold" on Aish that if we don't get him I may end up hiding in a corner for the remainder of the pre season chanting his name over and over again.:eek:

Id really like Aish at 6. As for 10, I think it's impossible to make me sad, id be happy to take Freeman, Schenberg (first priority if available but i doubt he will be), Salam or Lennon. I dare say it would be one of them, but you never know.

Might just **** over west coast and take Sheed just for lols. Hope they arn't in a relapse phase and have plenty of party drugs in their system or we could be all killed.

I'm just concerned about a combination of Aish and Freeman simply because we'd be building a midfield of sub 185cm players. I'm not totally on board the Freeman bandwagon but I suppose he adds something different which is break away pace.

It's why I like the idea of taking Scharenberg at 6...because even if we miss on Aish, then there are options like Salem, Freeman, Sheed, Acres available at 10. Whereas, if we take Aish and Scharenberg goes at 7, then it means we are taking to 183cm midfielders to go with Adams, Sidebottom, Broomhead, Kennedy and Josh Thomas. Smallish midfield. Though we still have Beams, Ball, Pendlebury and Swan in the interim so that gives it size.

Either way we are going to get 2 cracking players. I am still in the boat though the Scharenberg should be the one at 6.

If Melbourne have in fact committed to Salem, then the only team Aish needs to slip through is Brisbane and I don't think he suits them. Scharenberg on the other hand really suits them.

Tough call. Can't wait.

I'm on the Aish bandwagon.

People are trying to find reasons as to why he will fail at the elite level. 'He is too small, he won't put on any size, too outside, the next Xavier Ellis' etc etc when he is clearly the standout midfielder of this draft, look at his CV, no comes close to what he's done so far. He is an elite player and from the outside he looks like he has the right attitude and commitment to excel in the AFL.

Get him into our development system and he will be an absolute superstar in 4-5 years time.

I agree with this. I think the Aish doubt is overstated. Kid is going to be a star. It's very rare you get someone with his CV available.

The question is just Scharenberg v Aish. Such a tough one.

I'm on the Aish bandwagon.

People are trying to find reasons as to why he will fail at the elite level. 'He is too small, he won't put on any size, too outside, the next Xavier Ellis' etc etc when he is clearly the standout midfielder of this draft, look at his CV, no comes close to what he's done so far. He is an elite player and from the outside he looks like he has the right attitude and commitment to excel in the AFL.

Get him into our development system and he will be an absolute superstar in 4-5 years time.

I agree with this. I think the Aish doubt is overstated. Kid is going to be a star. It's very rare you get someone with his CV available.

The question is just Scharenberg v Aish. Such a tough one.

Boyd
Kelly
Billings
Aish
Scharenberg
Bontempelli
Kolodjashnij
Acres
Salem
Lennon
Freeman
McCarthy

That'd be my version of the list Dekka takes into the draft tomorrow night. Having 12 players is irrelevant even moreso knowing that I've excluded McDonald who's definitely off our radar and Sheed who seems unlikely to be on our radar.

I'm underwhelmed by Freeman. I'm placing a premium on footskills and leg speed to play second string on that bow. Therefore he drops down the order for mine.

You can ask me if you have any questions on the potential draftees.
I'm up to speed on everything after having watched 1 minute snippets on youtube.

Make that two and in my professional opinion we will take McCarthy at 10 anyway ;)

I have even watched 2 or 3 minutes of footage on some of the blokes, so how qualified am I! Still got no idea who we'll end up with though:p

Personally prefer Shazza Berg @ 6, and after that would be happy with any of Aish, Acres, Salem, Sheed & the Bont (not sold on Mccarthy yet, nor Freeman)

I'm just concerned about a combination of Aish and Freeman simply because we'd be building a midfield of sub 185cm players. I'm not totally on board the Freeman bandwagon but I suppose he adds something different which is break away pace.

It's why I like the idea of taking Scharenberg at 6...because even if we miss on Aish, then there are options like Salem, Freeman, Sheed, Acres available at 10. Whereas, if we take Aish and Scharenberg goes at 7, then it means we are taking to 183cm midfielders to go with Adams, Sidebottom, Broomhead, Kennedy and Josh Thomas. Smallish midfield. Though we still have Beams, Ball, Pendlebury and Swan in the interim so that gives it size.

Either way we are going to get 2 cracking players. I am still in the boat though the Scharenberg should be the one at 6.

If Melbourne have in fact committed to Salem, then the only team Aish needs to slip through is Brisbane and I don't think he suits them. Scharenberg on the other hand really suits them.

Tough call. Can't wait.
I with Dave on this one. I for one at the life of me can't work out why Brisbane would pass on Scharenberg. But at the same time I can't see why Melbourne would pass on Aish. Really, what is a commitment? I bet ya we told someone we were taking them at either 18/19/20 last year only to change our mind when Grundy came up.

If I was Melbourne and it came down to Salem or Aish at pick 9, I know which one id take, and it's not Salem. Regardless of what I told him on the phone a week or 2 ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Melbourne didn't like Scharenberg's scans, and are confident that we'll take Aish? (or that Brisbane would if we go for Scharenberg)

Does a club need a group of midfielders over 185cm to win a flag though? Hawthorn did it with:

Mitchell - 179cm
Sewell - 181cm
Lewis - 186cm
Anderson - 178cm
Hill - 180cm
Burgoyne - 186cm
Hodge - 185cm
Smith - 188cm
Shiels - 183cm
Puopolo - 173cm
Rioli - 177cm

The year before Sydney had Goodes (193cm), ROK and Kennedy (188cm) then guys a fair bit shorter. I get it helps and the club has said it's something they're aware of, but I don't think it's as bad as some think.

Tough call. Can't wait.

So if we take scharenberg at 6 we can take acres at 10 but if we take aish at 6 we can only take 183 players at 10?​
:confused:

Does a club need a group of midfielders over 185cm to win a flag though? Hawthorn did it with:

Mitchell - 179cm
Sewell - 181cm
Lewis - 186cm
Anderson - 178cm
Hill - 180cm
Burgoyne - 186cm
Hodge - 185cm
Smith - 188cm
Shiels - 183cm
Puopolo - 173cm
Rioli - 177cm

The year before Sydney had Goodes (193cm), ROK and Kennedy (188cm) then guys a fair bit shorter. I get it helps and the club has said it's something they're aware of, but I don't think it's as bad as some think.

Very good post and I have a lot of sympathy for that view. Foot skills and line breaking ability - whether by foot or crab abilities - are high up for me on the list of desired attributes.

I am surprised it is such a confusion.
A healthy Aish or a recovering from injury Scharenberg.
I know who I would prefer all the way. Hopefully Hine makes the right decision tomorrow and chooses Aish.

You don't make a decision based on a shortish term injury, especially when Aish has had his shoulder issues as well. I hope the club has bugged the offices of Brisbane and Melbourne, which is the fashion at the time.

It does as if they are injured multiple times through the 10 years, what is the point of the investment?
I am hoping we go for a healthy player.

You can't second guess what will happen in the future with injuries. We could make all manner of speculation about players, Aish is slight and has shoulder injuries while Scharenberg has foot issues. But you look at the talent after a medical.

There is no way on earth either can be pegged as chronic injury risks at this stage, ergo it's irrelevant.

He has sesamoiditis.
One of the main causes of it is increased activity level.
Playing AFL at the highest level would increase activity level once again.
I just think that it is a big likelihood of occurring again and not worth the risk.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-20/scharenbergs-feet-no-issue

"AFL.com.au has contacted a number of clubs about the injury, with a majority saying it would not have any significant impact on where Scharenberg is drafted."

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Back