Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 62 18.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Billings

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Kolodjashnij

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Aish

Votes: 74 22.6%
  • Scharenberg

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • McDonald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeman

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Sheed

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Salem

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Crouch

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • McCarthy

• Gardiner

• Taylor

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Acres

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Hartung

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Battersby

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other player not mentioned in poll

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, but Gold Coast also have pick 2 and Gold Coast sound committed to KK, so from pick 6 to pick 1 is really only 2 spots, so we should be able to do it with Pick 6 and Goldsack, but that would be overpaying because it's really only 2 spots.
Couldn't agree anymore if you were to throw in Pert's parking spot.

I disagree SR, I reckon inside mids are not something you squander early picks on. With free agency you could get a Sewell type for not that high a price. I reckon you put a premium on good disposers of the ball and rare skill sets.

I reckon that genuine inside skills are a rare skill set, but you are right about using high draft picks on them. When you look around the league, so many of the best inside mids are later draft picks. I don't know whether it's because inside skills are harder to evaluate because lower leagues really lack intensity and it's a wild stab in the dark whether someone's skills will extrapolate or whether it's simply that recruiters tend to get seduced by athleticism and outside skills.

I disagree SR, I reckon inside mids are not something you squander early picks on. With free agency you could get a Sewell type for not that high a price. I reckon you put a premium on good disposers of the ball and rare skill sets.

Ollie Wines looks like he goes alright for Port, I'd be happy to get someone like him with an early pick. I don't think you can box yourself in with strict rules on which type of player you draft first round. It's thinking like that which made Grundy drop to us last year.

Edit: Obviously Grundy isn't an inside mid, I'm alluding to the fact that having set rules on drafting certain player types can leave you wondering why you didn't pick up a player when you had the chance.

You don't want Taylor Adams?
I don't think that has anything to do with Taylor Adams. The Pies believe that it should be a straight swap, Shaw for Adams. The deal falls over or not on that. GWS will come to their senses, and if not then we keep Shaw and they keep Adams, or we get something for Shaw from another club. Not a big deal. Adams IMO is somewhat overrated in any case. He's basically a slightly bigger Josh Thomas. Handy, but I'm not sure he's star potential.

For me it's pretty clear who the targets should be. IMO, it's Scharenberg and Bontempelli, as the clear one and two. They both have size and elite level skill. They are both quick. IMO they have the perfect attributes for what we need. I'd have either of those two even over Aish. Aish seems to have the footy brain and skills, but the body type doesn't sound great to me. Plus the talk of him not really being an inside type but going hard when it's his turn. It seems like a similar pre draft write up of Steele Sidebottom. I'm not sure we need another of that type even if it wouldn't necessarily be a bad outcome.

After the two mentioned, I like Lennon. Sounds like a Jimmy Bartel type which is exactly what we need. Kolodjashnij is another with the right attributes.

Aish seems to have the footy brain and skills, but the body type doesn't sound great to me. Plus the talk of him not really being an inside type but going hard when it's his turn. It seems like a similar pre draft write up of Steele Sidebottom. I'm not sure we need another of that type even if it wouldn't necessarily be a bad outcome.

I'd argue that we are desperately lacking a couple of slick clean link players to sharpen our delivery. We also need a couple of genuine bull at a gate insiders. To me the guys you like sound a bit like inside/outside midfielders, which we have well and truly covered with 3 of the best in Pendlebury, Beams and Swan (I reckon his longevity will surprise)

Unlikely to be given your two picks won't net him, North has committed to F/S, we have been in talks with Brisbane regarding Yeo so probably know who they are targeting or won't be targeting which only leaves Melbourne to pick him up. It is a calculated gamble on our part it seems to get Yeo for free and still net our target at 11 instead of 6, could be win-win for both. Has been said you are very keen on Ben Lennon...
That's because he is named Ben. We got the perfect number for him as well.

I'd be going after Billings if he drops to us at 6
Though I can't see the dogs going passed him. Aish will most likely get to the saints at 3 which leaves one of scharenberg, bontempelli and Kolod. Would prob take them in this order too.

Like Lennon or Macarthy at 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Aish slid to 6 i wouldnt need Redtube for a month.
Clearly best mid available in the draft. If he is taken then Scharenberg or Bontempilli.
I wouldnt sleep on Dunstan either, he is going to be quality as well as Trent Dumont. Dumont maybe the surprise packet of this years draft

I've been saying it for a while and I still think we're gunning for that number 1 draft pick.

Me too .... but alas I think it is highly unlikely. Seems the rationale to get number 6 is they believe someone will slide down, and would not be available at pick 10. However, stranger things have happened but to get pick 1 we would need to bundle Sidebottom / Shaw and pick 6. Just will not happen in my view.

Think the Adams deal will go through and we will pick up 2 guns at pick 6 and 10

I want at least one, preferably 2 inside mids this off-season - hopefully we get Adams and then draft one more. I just reckon inside mids are the most important players in the game. Ball's on his last legs, Blair is ordinary and Thomas still has a way to go and may never get there.

I'm inclined to agree with you sr36 on the question of inside mids. But from my reading both Aish and Crouch are enticing inside/outside prospects. Both are natural instinctive ball winners with potential upside. Crouch needs to develop his outside game, Aish his inside game. But when I look at the profile pic of Aish he seems to have a good frame so with a couple of good preseasons could be a great contested ball winner at AFL level. But I defer to more expert op. on this. For the taller mid/utility I'm very keen on Acres and Bontempelli. Seems like for the first pick we should go for the slider or Bontempelli (if he forces a slider).

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Back