Port Adelaide lose by 3 points after a wrong Goal Review against the Crows in the dying stages

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually can't believe there is a review system that doesn't rely on the right sort of camera. They are using broadcast cameras when you need specific cameras with at least 2 million FPS to reduce blur and get a clear picture when slow down at the rate that it is. They rely on channel 7 cameras, which simply don't record at enough frames to be a viable option for slow motion capture.

Cricket doesn't use 2m FPS cameras. More like 2,000 FPS for most slow-mo, and have the 'super slow-mo' which is 90 degrees to the pitch which is about 4,000 FPS.

Obviously I am biased but I don't see how anyone can tell. Jenkins can't.

What makes me think it's a goal is not one person from the Port cheer squad stood up as it went through. If it hit the post they would of based on human behaviour. Sounds stupid but thats my theory.

Great game.
The shadow of the ball on the post gives it away, don’t stress take the win

Cricket doesn't use 2m FPS cameras. More like 2,000 FPS for most slow-mo, and have the 'super slow-mo' which is 90 degrees to the pitch which is about 4,000 FPS.

Wait till C7 get hold of the cricket

Surely there's some sort of new technology they could implement to stop this? In Tennis when the ball hits the net on a serve, it makes that beep sound for a let, even if watching on TV you don't notice the ball making contact.

I don't know what the technology actually is? Maybe some sort of sensor wires running vertically on the insides and outsides of all posts?

There has to be alternatives to cameras.

Yeah I saw that on telly. At normal speed it's very obvious.
Surprises me others can't see it or choose not to see it.
Confirmation bias.
I work as a video editor so my powers of observation are perhaps better than others, but to the trained eye it was very obvious. And the admission of Jenkins was another clue.
**** being a video editor, sounds like you should be a detective.

Yeah I saw that on telly. At normal speed it's very obvious.
Surprises me others can't see it or choose not to see it.
Confirmation bias.
I work as a video editor so my powers of observation are perhaps better than others, but to the trained eye it was very obvious. And the admission of Jenkins was another clue.
You got me now I’m convinced, Victorian bias a5 it’s best by the afl, not wanting interstate teams to win

Good on Jenkins for having the conviction to say he thinks it clipped the post, and hopefully action occurs to actually get better footage for events like this. I'm not salty about the loss, we aren't winning the GF this season regardless of yesterday's result, just annoying that the AFL is an intensely shit governing body.

Over reaction. If we had no score review, it still would have been a goal.

If it is inconclusive the decision on ground stands. Thinking it 'probably' it the post isn't enough.

They did everything right in this instance.

A bad score review is when a correct decision is over turned to a wrong one. This didn't happen.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have beaten Richmond, Sydney, port, west coast, Geelong. All supposed top 4 aspirants. I think it’s pretty obvious no oppo except maybe Melbourne who have the edge on us would want us making finals.

It definitely hit the post. The ball accelerates in a different direction after passing it. There's also increased spin on the footy afterwards. Having said that, it definitely went through the goals, not sure what this "behind the post" rubbish is. There's a clear shadow shadow on the front of the goal post. The technology needs to be better. Better cameras, infrared like hot-spot or sensors in the posts. Any or all of them would make it much more reliable than what it is. The other option is to go back to no score review and cop the human error on the odd occasion. Can't be in the middle though

Over reaction. If we had no score review, it still would have been a goal.

If it is inconclusive the decision on ground stands. Thinking it 'probably' it the post isn't enough.

They did everything right in this instance.

A bad score review is when a correct decision is over turned to a wrong one. This didn't happen.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. Port sooks need to get over it. We won.

I will move on when the afl can show me that it didn't hit the post.

Holy shit balls are people really not getting it?

Goal umpire called it a goal. The video evidence wasn't conclusive enough to overrule the call. Hence, original call stands. Which was...? I'll give you three guesses...

The AFL doesn't have to prove it didn't hit the post, the video evidence simply has to prove that it did. Jesus Christ almighty how is this thread still going?

For those who think it went through the goals watch this and zoom in if you're on your phone

I've watched this vision atleast a dozen times and i can't see the ball going behind the post, You can clearly see the balls shadow on the goal post side. It's got me baffled how anyone can see it differently. Did it touch the post? Maybe but it certainly didn't deflect or change trajectory so imho the goal stands.

''
I want to be really clear right from the start - Adelaide deserved to win tonight, they were the better team,” he said.

“But to deal with that last moment, where the player acknowledges it’s hit the post, and the AFL in a billion dollar industry can wreck seasons for football clubs that work too hard.

“If I was the AFL, I’d be embarrassed and disappointed in an industry that employs so many people.

“Again, Adelaide Crows were the better team on the night and deserved to win. But imagine that happening in eight weeks?

“I have got no answer for it.

“The amount of time that’s getting spent on rule changes, and the game, we’ve had 24 wonderful hours of football haven’t we? Wow this is a pretty good game.

“There should be a lot more time spent on moments that are significant to outcomes and can put a season like ours, we’ve been really strong all year and still have a great opportunity, but to lose that one that way...

“Again, I’ll keep saying it, Adelaide was the better team. I don’t want to be seen as a sore loser. But in an industry that’s about getting it right, we didn’t get it right.

Get the ultimate AFL experience on your phone with the new FOX FOOTY App. Download it NOW for FREE on iOS and Android!

“The score review is there to make sure this doesn’t happen and it continues to fail.

“Someone should be accountable for that, because I’m accountable to winning and losing. Someone should be accountable for that happening.

“(asked whether he would seek an apology) What for? No, look, I’m not being disrespectful, but what for? What are they going to say, they got it wrong? ‘Sorry, we got it wrong, you now sit seventh’?

“They will (admit they made a mistake), but they’ve absolutely got no consequence. Absolutely no consequence.

“There’s no point in that space. They’ll come out and say they got it wrong but the technology should have changed that. It should have made sure that this monumental mistake in a football season shouldn’t have appeared.

“I’ve heard other coaches ... talk about how the score review’s not right. And we’re spending time changing rules.

“It was a great game of footy though, don’t lose that, but it’s a major failure by the AFL tonight. Major failure.”

What Hinkley said was very truthful, very accurate. People implying he's sooking are the sooks themselves. Hinkley's reaction wasn't over the top at all and if people were in his and the clubs situation, would be pissed, and probably handle it a lot worse.

The problem is that people think the review system is in place to get the right decision, it’s not. It is there to confirm or overturn a goal umpires decision.
This is where it’s a farce. If a goal umpire cannot make a decision 100% then he should just say he does not know and not declare any decision at all. Then it is up to the third umpire to decide without having to favour one way or another.
Most times the third umpire will go with the goal umpires decision as he believes there is not enough evidence to change it, however if the goal umpire had gone the other way he also would not of changed it.
Just like cricket it’s not there to get the right decision, it’s there to support umpire decisions.
Didn't they try that at first then all umpires calls ended up as behinds because it wasn't a goal?

''
I want to be really clear right from the start - Adelaide deserved to win tonight, they were the better team,” he said.

“But to deal with that last moment, where the player acknowledges it’s hit the post, and the AFL in a billion dollar industry can wreck seasons for football clubs that work too hard.

He only acknowledges that he "thinks" it hit the post. I think JJ was/is incorrect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide lose by 3 points after a wrong Goal Review against the Crows in the dying stages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back