Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

On that footage SPP had his hands up, but the sling missed them. I don't think he charged or tried to bump.
Guilty by media though.

I also think the fact that Keane was spinning quite fast in a tackle makes the situation not so straightforward.

Edit: Though the angle I just saw is a bit more damning.

Are we going to ignore the Rioli tackle that actually initiated this?

The tackle swung Keane into Sam's path in less than a second. Sam didn't change direction. He just stood there with his arms up.

But yeah, because it's Port he will get weeks. s**t, they'll probably give Rioli a couple of weeks as an accomplice as well well.

This is typical of the the media commentary that will make it so:

View attachment 1911867
One side note is that not a single player stopped or remonstrated or even threw their hands in the air in appeal when the umpires didn’t even deem the collision worthy of a free kick

On that footage SPP had his hands up, but the sling missed them. I don't think he charged or tried to bump.
Guilty by media though.
Slo-mo is a b*tch, too. It’s a fast play, and he instinctively protected himself from an unexpected clash.

SPP could have done better, but that simply means avoiding running into someone else’s play. Once he committed, he’s put himself in a position where accidents like this might happen.

The AFL judges on outcome. If it was bad, then, he’s screwed.

Last edited:
One side note is that not a single player stopped or remonstrated or even threw their hands in the air in appeal when the umpires didn’t even deem the collision worthy of a free kick

Quite right.

But those with the power to condemn and convict have the benefit of slo-motion and freeze frame on video.

Which turns the events of less than a second in real time to a time frame of ten times that. A time difference in which it’s easy to fit intent, thought processes and alternatives in a high intensity contact sport which simply don’t exist in reality.

Well, Georgiades, Frankie, McKenzie looked like the only ones worth playing AFL that played in the last couple of quarters.

Sinn showed some ok moments but as an outside type player, and a bit chaos, scrappy 2nds game plan, didn’t get on the end of it that well… will start in the 2s.

Thought it was a good hit out. Much better performance than any of the pre season games we played last year. The first half (3 terms) when most of the best 23 were out there for both sides it was a pretty good match. Especially when compared to some of the other matches I’ve seen so far.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trial game or not that was just more of the same old, same old ie get 3 or 4 goals in front, go to sleep, let the oppo catch up or regain the lead, and then start the whole process all over again, it's extremely frustrating.

There is absolutely ZERO killer instinct with this team and there hasn't been for years, it's no wonder oppo teams know if they can hang in there for long enough they will always be a chance to get the chocolates.

The defence was beyond ordinary and still gives up at least one goal per qtr from D grade stuff ups that a primary school team would be ashamed of, and that has been a problem regardless of personnel changes for decades now.

Re the players we traded for, early days obviously but a few observations based on today's efforts

1. Soldo - will be effective, he does lack a bit of finesse but he makes up for that with his endeavour

2. Sweet - looked a downgrade on Sam Hayes and it won't surprise me if he plays more games for the Maggies than he does for the Power

3. Ratugolea - unfortunately Esava gave me the impression that the reality may not measure up to the fantasy, he didn't look anywhere near as physically imposing as he appeared to be at geebung, we need him to be much better than what he showed today

4. BZT - is definitely an upgrade on the corpse of Tom Jonas, but if the aforementioned isn't as good as hoped for that is unlikely to be enough

He’s fkd
How stupid in a trail game that means jack.

Seriously?

Perhaps take the time to read back through this thread on this ‘trail game that means jack’.

And the posts attacking players who took part in this ‘trail game that means jack’ who were less than physical in their attacks on the ball or opposition players in tackles.

SPP did what we expect all players to do and what recent history shows he can never fail to do. Treat every game as if it matters, because it does.

This was a split second decision in an incident involving 3 players. He may well be ‘fkd’ under AFL MRO rules but not because he wasn’t playing with the intensity and focus that I wish every player in our team had.

Oh and for the record and in case my posts on this are misinterpreted, I wish Keane all the best and sorry he was concussed. No one ever wants to see a player of any team injured in a pre-season game.

I was there at the game this arvo. It was played in an exceptional competitive spirit with zero animosity between players and the supporters of both teams mingling together well.

Let's not let the spiteful ignorance of the interstate media make implications about intent and friction that never happened.

Edit: One last thing just to piss off the local residents who opposed the Alberton Oval redevelopment. The revamped lighting didn't seem bright enough to me at twilight and the sound quality on the PA was appalling. A couple of extra lighting towers and a substantial upgrade on the ground PA system is clearly needed.

Last edited:
It is what it is. Certainly better than a couple of years or so ago when we could see that we were in trouble from the first game.

Lots of little bits to like. Butters, Scully, Georgie.

Same old issues still there with the forward entries etc.

We would have got what we wanted out of that I think.

Irrespective of what you think about Spp's actions that type of headline is unacceptable towards any player in any team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trial game or not that was just more of the same old, same old ie get 3 or 4 goals in front, go to sleep, let the oppo catch up or regain the lead, and then start the whole process all over again, it's extremely frustrating.

There is absolutely ZERO killer instinct with this team and there hasn't been for years, it's no wonder oppo teams know if they can hang in there for long enough they will always be a chance to get the chocolates.

The defence was beyond ordinary and still gives up at least one goal per qtr from D grade stuff ups that a primary school team would be ashamed of, and that has been a problem regardless of personnel changes for decades now.

Re the players we traded for, early days obviously but a few observations based on today's efforts

1. Soldo - will be effective, he does lack a bit of finesse but he makes up for that with his endeavour

2. Sweet - looked a downgrade on Sam Hayes and it won't surprise me if he plays more games for the Maggies than he does for the Power

3. Ratugolea - unfortunately Esava gave me the impression that the reality may not measure up to the fantasy, he didn't look anywhere near as physically imposing as he appeared to be at geebung, we need him to be much better than what he showed today

4. BZT - is definitely an upgrade on the corpse of Tom Jonas, but if the aforementioned isn't as good as hoped for that is unlikely to be enough

Thought BZT was excellent.

Think the back talls need to gel and play a few games together.

Forward line is more of a concern. Dixon poor, Finlayson under done, MG still a bit off.

Forward entries very poor.

Same old same old

Guilty by media though.
How convenient for the AFL that they can use little old Port Adelaide to set an example.
Ah well, more importantly, hope the other fella is ok.
And as long as the AFL is consistent of course.

Seriously?

Perhaps take the time to read back through this thread on this ‘trail game that means jack’.

And the posts attacking players who took part in this ‘trail game that means jack’ who were less than physical in their attacks on the ball or opposition players in tackles.

SPP did what we expect all players to do and what recent history shows he can never fail to do. Treat every game as if it matters, because it does.

This was a split second decision in an incident involving 3 players. He may well be ‘fkd’ under AFL MRO rules but not because he wasn’t playing with the intensity and focus that I wish every player in our team had.

Oh and for the record and in case my posts on this are misinterpreted, I wish Keane all the best and sorry he was concussed. No one ever wants to see a player of any team injured in a pre-season game.

I was there at the game this arvo. It was played in an exceptional competitive spirit with zero animosity between players and the supporters of both teams mingling together well.

Let's not let the spiteful ignorance of the interstate media make implications about intent and friction that never happened.
It’s a nothing game just like the west coast game last year.
People get over excited because it’s the crows.
What he done was stupid, all that can come out of it is missing real games.
It’s the same as norf beating Collingwood the other day, means sfa.

Around here, friendly derbies are counted to the tally just like official ones.

After all, there are no “friendly” derbies…

I walk away disappointed with what I saw today.

I'll hold fire on actually applying a final judgment with everyone, because we looked like a team that has had a shorter preseason than the Crows (which is true), but i would want to see a significant lift in many areas in coming weeks.

Initial signs for me were that Soldo doesn't really offer much more than Lycetts best did, ROB seemed to dominate. Sweet is no better than Hayes. Wasn't inspired by our tall backs, the same problems seemed consistent, if anything again McKenzie stood out in his time on ground. Ollie wasn't too inspiring. The wing still looks like a concern, Burgoyne is ready for a shot but he needs to improve dramatically.

We still seem very susceptible to a bit of pressure and a high pressure, scrapping team like the Crows just look like despite lacking the quality we have, they look like they work harder, they are tougher inside and when they get their turnovers they are slicker in moving it and scoring. We want to get it out in space and hurt the opposition, but we fumble, miss targets, etc and we create so much extra pressure on ourselves, ending up just bombing, and getting our forwards out of position.

Super negative I know, but I really didn't see much improvement or change today.

After watching the replay, the umpiring was actually horrendous both ways. The number of obvious mistakes were crazy.

Mead was the biggest positive yet I can't see him playing much and JHF looking more active for longer was great. Scully was very good and Georgiadies goal kicking feels better.

Again, I'm flagging only my initial thoughts, they aren't my final conclusions, but right at this stage I haven't seen much that excites me yet.

Last edited:
Around here, friendly derbies are counted to the tally just like official ones.

After all, there are no “friendly” derbies…

How can someone disagree with a fact?

Those matches have always been counted (the very first one wasn’t an official match). Besides, if it’s a friendly, it’s not a derby.

Finally, there’s a famous banner that the Grêmio’s supporters take to our games that says:

Practice is Matchday
Matchday is War

1708690887496.jpeg

😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back