Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't fallen. We may have stumbled, but that is going to happen with a young side. What I can't abide is people who have given up hope, who think the season is over, wasted. As if this journey begins and ends every season and we restart from square one. That might have been true back in the days of the SANFL, where we were in contention every year, but this squad needs to have the ability to make mistakes. It needs to be able to fail, so that it can learn to succeed. Every other team who has been destined for greatness has needed that - Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Fremantle.

No team is destined for greatness unless you treat football as a form of religion which is always a dangerous thing to do.

The good teams are the level-headed ones with level-headed coaches who set realistic targets for the players under their tutorage.
They say things such as: "If you achieve the tasks that we set for you, if all of you do, then let's see how far we can go."

Ken Hinkley is a realist.

Only fans indulge illusions of sustained grandeur.

The sheer fact is that football does begin and end with each new season. Each club does restart from Round One. And that's the hard thing about our game. There are no golden passes and anyone who thinks there are has rocks in his head.

If you guys want to wallow in the mediocrity of an Adelaide or an Essendon, by all means try to win finals based on changing the way we play so we can eke out results and get an inaccurate reflection as to where we are at as a team. That's what Adelaide did when they recruited Podsiadly, and now they've got a 32 year old as an integral part of their team structure - a player that won't be there after next season. Giving players like Josh Jenkins false bravado instead of actually letting him develop as a player.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's exactly what Adelaide didn't do. They brought in Podsiadly to plug an obvious gap in Adelaide's forward structure with no Tippett, and Tex Walker missing from action for an unknown part of the season, and Tom Lynch missing.
Further, part of Posiadly's contract involves off-field coaching duties in Year Two and all of the current Adelaide forwards say that Posiadly's knowledge of the game has helped them develop their game. The surprise has been that Posiadly has played as many games as he has and that he has supplied as much team discipline and team development on field as he has.

Adelaide has been riddled with key injuries; Posiadly has plugged gaps and allowed players such as Josh Jenkins to find their feet.
Your statement that he's prevented Jenkins from developing as a player is ... well, it's just beggars belief.

And, incidentally, I'm no fan of Essendon but anyone who thinks they are a mediocre club has no understanding of the history of the game. When you write:

"... if you guys want to wallow in the mediocrity of an Adelaide or an Essendon..."

I hope you know that these are exactly the words that, one day, will turn around and bite you.

I'm looking forward to next year already, even though this year I haven't given up on. Because I know we are going to be working on skills in the pre-season. Working on our core strength. Our tackling. Our running. Getting better every single game, until we reach the standard of a top four team...then a top one team. All I asked for during the Primus years was some level of improvement, to see where we were going. I'm getting that.

Ho hum. And do you seriously think that every other team in the competition won't also be working on their skills and their core strength in the 2014/15 preseason? And their tackling and their running? And that they, too, won't be getting better every single game until they, too, reach the standard of a top-four team?

Fanism is one thing. There is no reason why we shouldn't enjoy our teams. But fanaticism only leads to time-wasting squabbles. The modern AFL structure hunts out the most effective coaches, the most likely players, the most workable financial structures, the best person-managers. The AFL reduces all clubs to a common level of aspiration or, to put this in another way, it attempts to raise all clubs to the same level of excellence.

Port is no better nor any worse than any of the other developed clubs in the AFL. NO! I retract that. Port entered the national competition immediately after Fremantle and it has achieved far more than Fremantle. Or, to put this in a different way, Fremantle has taken an extraordinarily long time to establish any respect in the comp – much longer than the other new teams in the AFL... West Coast, Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide.

Gold Coast and GWS are, of course, still babies.

So, Janus, let's not be too cocky about how good Port is destined to be. There's nothing wrong with being a realist.

Is that what you guys want? Or do you want us to go down the harder, but more right path, of sustained success?
Sorry, but sustained success doesn't exist in this game. Nor does the Easter Bunny.

What do we want? Sustained success
When do we want it? NOW!

We are patient lot if we don't have to wait.
:D

No team is destined for greatness unless you treat football as a form of religion which is always a dangerous thing to do.

The good teams are the level-headed ones with level-headed coaches who set realistic targets for the players under their tutorage.
They say things such as: "If you achieve the tasks that we set for you, if all of you do, then let's see how far we can go."

The sheer fact is that football does begin and end with each new season. Each club does restart from Round One. And that's the hard thing about our game. There are no golden passes and anyone who thinks there are has rocks in his head.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's exactly what Adelaide didn't do. They brought in Podsiadly to plug an obvious gap in Adelaide's forward structure with no Tippett, and Tex Walker missing from action for an unknown part of the season, and Tom Lynch missing.
Further, part of Posiadly's contract involves off-field coaching duties in Year Two and all of the current Adelaide forwards say that Posiadly's knowledge of the game has helped them develop their game. The surprise has been that Posiadly has played as many games as he has and that he has supplied as much team discipline and team development on field as he has.

Adelaide has been riddled with key injuries; Posiadly has plugged gaps and allowed players such as Josh Jenkins to find their feet.
Your statement that he's prevented Jenkins from developing as a player is ... well, it's just beggars belief.

And, incidentally, I'm no fan of Essendon but anyone who thinks they are a mediocre club has no understanding of the history of the game. When you write:

"... if you guys want to wallow in the mediocrity of an Adelaide or an Essendon..."

I hope you know that these are exactly the words that, one day, will turn around and bite you.

Ho hum. And do you seriously think that every other team in the competition won't also be working on their skills and their core strength in the 2014/15 preseason? And their tackling and their running? And that they, too, won't be getting better every single game until they, too, reach the standard of a top-four team?

Fanism is one thing. There is no reason why we shouldn't enjoy our teams. But fanaticism only leads to time-wasting squabbles. The modern AFL structure hunts out the most effective coaches, the most likely players, the most workable financial structures, the best person-managers. The AFL reduces all clubs to a common level of aspiration or, to put this in another way, it attempts to raise all clubs to the same level of excellence.

Port is no better nor any worse than any of the other developed clubs in the AFL. NO! I retract that. Port entered the national competition immediately after Fremantle and it has achieved far more than Fremantle. Or, to put this in a different way, Fremantle has taken an extraordinarily long time to establish any respect in the comp – much longer than the other new teams in the AFL... West Coast, Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide.

So, Janus, let's not be too cocky about how good Port is destined to be. There's nothing wrong with being a realist.

Sorry, but sustained success doesn't exist in this game. Nor does the Easter Bunny.
This guy can we get a port supporter only topic

The realistic ones are the ones who are destined for greatness. That's my point. Every young team has teething problems. It's only when you get ahead of yourself and think that you are further ahead just because things seem to fall your way - like a soft draw for instance. And while the race begins and ends with each season, the preparation for such does not. If that was the case, there would be no such thing as development, and the same teams would be vying for the premiership every single year.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's exactly what Adelalde didn't do. They brought in Podsiadly to plug an obvious gap in Adelaide's forward structure with no Tippett, and Tex Walker missing from action for an unknown part of the season, and Tom Lynch missing.

No, they brought in Podsiadly as a stop gap to make sure that Walker wasn't burdened with carrying the forward line on his return. You don't recruit a 32 year old to plug a gap - not unless you believe you are a premiership threat - and Lynch wasn't missing when Podsiadly was recruited. Ask yourself whether Jenkins would look as good as he does had he had to take the defender that Podsiadly takes every week because, you know, he's a smart forward who can be dangerous. Then ask yourself whether that's good for his development in terms of what it takes to be a key forward in this league. John Butcher is great at kicking roving goals too, you know.

Essendon of the past few years - the one that has promised so much and delivered so little. But you already knew that, you're just being a contentious little prick.

Champion Data disagrees with you. So does pretty much every knowledgeable scribe out there. Not every team is exactly the same. That's why you have discrepancies and huge blow outs in matches - some teams match up better on others. The AFL is not a communist state, where every team plays the same type of football.

So yes, every other team can and will improve, but improvement has a saturation point. Hawthorn is at that point. So is Fremantle and Sydney. They can't get any better, because they don't have the scope left. Personally, I don't care what other teams do who aren't in the top four. All I care about is reaching that level and pushing those teams out, because they've been up the top for far too long.

As they say in Highlander...there can be only one.

What is Geelong then? 2007-present and still competing for a flag. Sydney? Flag in 2005, GF 2006, Flag in 2012, probable flag in 2014.

That's just an excuse clubs come up with to justify their mediocrity when they fall back down again.

Don't watch if you can't take seeing injuries, former Brisbane key forward Aaron Cornelius takes a hanger playing for Glenorchy and the poor bloke wrecks his leg. Game had to be called off, really bizarre incident.

What is Geelong then? 2007-present and still competing for a flag. Sydney? Flag in 2005, GF 2006, Flag in 2012, probable flag in 2014.

That's just an excuse clubs come up with to justify their mediocrity when they fall back down again.

Throw in Hawthorn over the same period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, and I forgot one point - was this the same gap created by the player that Sanderson said that Adelaide would be a better team without?

Right in front of me, no booing or cheering whatsoever. It was just before half time, where were you siting?

I was there, on the hill. Trengove was booed off by sections of the crowd. Unless your club pipes boos as well as cheering through the PA there were definitely boos.

[
I was there, on the hill. Trengove was booed off by sections of the crowd. Unless your club pipes boos as well as cheering through the PA there were definitely boos.

There are a minority of idiots at every club, however that is a far cry from a "culture". I hear horror stories about Port supporters from my brethren on the other board but refuse to accept its any more than a minority of idtiots. As I said there was none of that in my section of the Fos Williams stand. Any supporter who boooos off an injured player deserves to be banned from the stadium.

Unless of course its true that the Crows are the ONLY team whose supporters leave early, the ONLY team who have fans who get stuck into inured players and the ONLY team that pipe in sound to the stadium after a goal or the ONLY team to ever do anything wrong ever, bad behaviour may alternatively in fact be a reflection of the general population in the same way, that every club's supporters are a reflection of the general population both bad and good. Call me crazy though.

[

There are a minority of idiots at every club, however that is a far cry from a "culture". I hear horror stories about Port supporters from my brethren on the other board but refuse to accept its any more than a minority of idtiots. As I said there was none of that in my section of the Fos Williams stand. Any supporter who boooos off an injured player deserves to be banned from the stadium.

Unless of course its true that the Crows are the ONLY team whose supporters leave early, the ONLY team who have fans who get stuck into inured players and the ONLY team that pipe in sound to the stadium after a goal or the ONLY team to ever do anything wrong ever, bad behaviour may alternatively in fact be a reflection of the general population in the same way, that every club's supporters are a reflection of the general population both bad and good. Call me crazy though.

Nah, fair enough. I'm by no means pointing the finger at everyone, just relaying what I heard as it came up in the conversation. It wasn't everyone but there were definitely boos.

This is one of my favourites, Schulz goes off, nearly looses an eye which is clear to everyone given the amount of replays showing him get a wad of fingers in his eye (unintentionally) - 45000 sheep (19th man) boo, hiss and swear their little hearts out.

May have been unintentional but Doughty should have got at least got cited. His action was totally reckless, Schulz was just standing up after collecting the ball to take a free and Doughty threw his hands in the air across Schulz's face. The West Lakes scum will say he was acting because he went down like a stuck pig. Of course we know that none of their pretty boys never act. What about the unearned free for the first goal in the last showdown?

Unless of course its true that the Crows are the ONLY team whose supporters leave early

Supporters should stay to the end but leaving when their team is 4 goals down at 30 minutes can be understood. A mass exodus when 2 goals down to one of the bottom teams at 15 minutes of the last quarter is a bit more difficult to explain away. And not a very good view on TV.

Last edited:
[
and the ONLY team that pipe in sound to the stadium after a goal .
I agree with the rest of your post, nearly everyone must have a good mate who supports the other side, that's simple arithmetic but I'm pretty sure this is unique, crow noises are one thing, but to pipe in cheering is absurd.

I think you need to go and read up on the bad old days of the Bears and the Swans of the 80's early 90's before talking about getting respect from the competition. Both attained success but only after years of consistent shitness, both also got it with artificial advantages. West Coast and the Crows had massive legs up as well being start ups in footy mad states with everything and everyone behind them.

I seem to remember hearing a massive bronx cheer when Cousins tore his hamstring in the 2007 Qualifying Final. I personally don't like anyone doing it, but trying to claim it as a "Crows thing" is disingenuous

what about "sniper" when he caved in Wakelans face, I was there and there were a few cheers at that one too..

Depends on your definition of success & sustained success. I'd say Geelong who have made top 4 in 7 of the last 8 years with 3 flags from 4 grand finals is sustained success. I'd say Sydney who have played in 11 of the last 12 years for 2 flags, 3 grand finals and possibly another this year is sustained success. Hawthorn, 7 of the last 8 finals with 2 flags, 3 grand finals and possibly another this year.

Whilst the AFL system is deliberately cyclical, you can still achieve sustained success on a short term basis.

sorry for spilling some facts on a negative sensitive board. On "form" we are currently bottom 4. He's stating the obvious mate. The last 2 months we are sitting 3rd bottom

Apologies for touching a nerve speaking of sensitivity. Thought the smiley might have conveyed a bit of geniality.

Your consistent and often strident negativity are well noted. No smiley required. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back