Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does a mid-season draft actually achieve?

Surely giving clubs an extra two rookie list spots, like in the expansion draft years, would be a much cleaner solution. You'd see the same players drafted only they'd have an extra 6 months of AFL standard training. Picking up an extra ruckman in round 12 might have been handy for us but blind Freddy could have called that in December. If a club wants to risk having only 3 injury prone ruckman on a list of 44 or 46 that's their prerogative, and it's not the AFLs to stop them making bad list management decisions.

Reeks of AFL Players Association shenanigans imo.
I don't see how players drafted would fit in. You're throwing in a player who doesn't know the team, doesn't know the system and is most likely not fit enough to compete in the AFL, all of which are necessary as you would definitely want that player to be in the team covering injuries or whatever. And if you didn't want them in the team, that defeats the purpose of a mid season draft.

Fox Footy currently showing the Blues great comeback against the Crows at Footy Park. Fevola's set shot to put the Blues in front may be better than any at Footy Park, aside from Hodges '96?

Last edited:
Fox Footy currently showing the Blues great comeback against the Crows at Footy Park. Fevola's set shot to put the Blues in front maybe better than any at Footy Park, aside from Hodges '96?

McDermott's anguished orgasm: the soundtrack to many Brighton Rd lives

Fox Footy currently showing the Blues great comeback against the Crows at Footy Park. Fevola's set shot to put the Blues in front may be better than any at Footy Park, aside from Hodges '96?

Exactly a month until the grand final. Will our boys be running onto the MCG that day????

I think I feel a stomach bug coming on for September 27 (my birthday.... ooh the pain - must leave work at lunchtime....)

1997 the Crowboys won on my birthday, a bit icky

Was shattered in 2003 because Port were supposed to win it on my birthday

2008, meh

2014 - Third times a charm for Port???

Last chance until 2025....

I think I feel a stomach bug coming on for September 27 (my birthday.... ooh the pain - must leave work at lunchtime....)

1997 the Crowboys won on my birthday, a bit icky

Was shattered in 2003 because Port were supposed to win it on my birthday

2008, meh

2014 - Third times a charm for Port???

Last chance until 2025....
Safe to say we all hope you have the happiest birthday ever!!!!!!

I went with a Carlton mate that day. We had $50 on a Blues win at I think 7/1 (maybe even more). Epic day lol

Fox Footy currently showing the Blues great comeback against the Crows at Footy Park. Fevola's set shot to put the Blues in front may be better than any at Footy Park, aside from Hodges '96? .....
John Barker, twice in the final quarter, 2001 final v Hawthorn. :oops:
Technically Fev's was better but both of Barker's were very difficult and the %^&*$# potted them.

Last edited:
What does a mid-season draft actually achieve?

Surely giving clubs an extra two rookie list spots, like in the expansion draft years, would be a much cleaner solution. You'd see the same players drafted only they'd have an extra 6 months of AFL standard training. Picking up an extra ruckman in round 12 might have been handy for us but blind Freddy could have called that in December. If a club wants to risk having only 3 injury prone ruckman on a list of 44 or 46 that's their prerogative, and it's not the AFLs to stop them making bad list management decisions.

Reeks of AFL Players Association shenanigans imo.
Puts AFL in the newspapers during the mid season slump in interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how players drafted would fit in. You're throwing in a player who doesn't know the team, doesn't know the system and is most likely not fit enough to compete in the AFL, all of which are necessary as you would definitely want that player to be in the team covering injuries or whatever. And if you didn't want them in the team, that defeats the purpose of a mid season draft.
Totally disagree. Sometimes you hit a point in July and realize you're missing something. All teams get to that stage. Whats wrong with filling in a gap. especially if you're on the cusp of being a top 8 or top 4 side. You may be lacking a key forward so you pick one up. I think it would be well suited to rucks and forwards maybe backmen, with respect to any deficiencies.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ourt-told/story-fni6uo1m-1227038528829[/QUOTE

Surely that is a wee take o_O

That is about as credible as "the dog ate my homework"

Last edited:
Only in South Australia. I'm eagerly awaiting the Advertiser / 5CC to nominate him for South Australian of the year for his caring for his cat.
I suppose the cat ate a piece of apricot slice, or swallowed a knitting needle.

Thank you Nelso, but I've scoured that article. Couldnt see where it said speeding is allowable if your cat is vomitingo_O

Can you elaborate?

I think the point is more that if you're an Adelaide Crows player you can get away with things with bullshit excuses like a sick cat in your back seat. Missed the 60 sign? Why were you looking at the back seat doing 94km an hour?! That's the question the judge should have asked.

I think the point is more that if you're an Adelaide Crows player you can get away with things with bullshit excuses like a sick cat in your back seat. Missed the 60 sign? Why were you looking at the back seat doing 94km an hour?! That's the question the judge should have asked.

Meh.

So your saying JUST because he plays for the Crows he got off, to an extent??

Oh, and Nelso, your allowed to respond as well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back