Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currently reading Malcolm Blight's autobiography so it's interesting to read the varying perspectives of North at the time. Blight clearly kept faithful to Barrassi's methods in his coaching - despite not enjoying them much as a player at the time, but understood they got the best out of him. What I like about Blight is how willing he is to try things and is completely willing to take ownership when they don't work out. There is absolutely zero buck passing when it comes to him. I was a bit young to recall much of Blight's coaching career, but my impressions of him is that he was similar to Choco in his constant desire to be zany but was considerably more open and transparent about it meaning a greater trust of him from his players. Is that a fair assessment?

I did notice this thread crop up on the Geelong board which is also an interesting read to see how he is perceived. Can emphasise with the supporter frustration given they got so bloody close a number of times under him, much like we did with Choco. I reckon in time though, the legacy of Choco's flag will override any resentment to the way things finished off with him.

Blight versus Thompson - who was better?

Hinkley features quite a bit in the book, there's plenty of quotes in there from him as a player who flourished under Blight and as an assistant who's worked with him at a number of clubs. I did like Ken's public admission that he made an error in focusing too much on worrying about Geelong at half time of the 2013 semi so they're clearly on the same page which is also evident in Blight's absolute insistence that pre-season be conducted in a bloodthursty manner lifting the standard across the AFL at the time.

Some under-rating of Bucky Cunningham happening, I would have him on a par with Ginever.
Yep, brilliant, courageous, double sided, they didn't make him captain of our club in a great era for nothing. He and Bruce Light were the first two sided players that I ever saw who became better kicks with their non preferred side. As a rover Bucky stood out in what was probably the strongest SA era ever and he did this under the two greatest coaches ever, Fos and Jack.

Some under-rating of Bucky Cunningham happening, I would have him on a par with Ginever.

When the comparison is against football freaks like Russell Ebert & Gavin Wanganeen, it's hardly 'under-rating'.

I'd probably have Cunningham ahead of Ginever but that's probably because I saw more of his games than Tim's due to living out of the state during the golden 90s.

Boak reminds me of Bucky quite a bit.

This is not relevant to who is better but Timmy G smiled at me as he drove past when i was going in to the Club to buy my new flag and Christmas presents. I was chuffed all day.

* he is a pretty smiley person and it could have been just his normal look but i really think he was smiling at me!!
Timmy is still great.A more friendly bloke you couldn, t meet.Especially as most footballers have their head up their own arse.

Yep, brilliant, courageous, double sided, they didn't make him captain of our club in a great era for nothing. He and Bruce Light were the first two sided players that I ever saw who became better kicks with their non preferred side. As a rover Bucky stood out in what was probably the strongest SA era ever and he did this under the two greatest coaches ever, Fos and Jack.

Amazing that he never won a B&F, but he played with some brilliant players. One R.F. Ebert hogged most of them during Bucky's time, but in 1979 when Russell played in the VFL, Port's B&F was won by Milan Faletic.

Timmy is still great.A more friendly bloke you couldn, t meet.Especially as most footballers have their head up their own arse.
I agree, everything I see of him shouts out a genuine, happy friendly bloke. Not a great fan of his commentary, but better than some of the other doogs commentating in the SANFL!

I agree, everything I see of him shouts out a genuine, happy friendly bloke. Not a great fan of his commentary, but better than some of the other doogs commentating in the SANFL!
I think his commentary is improving. He'll get there. He comes across as someone who would be genuinely offended if you didn't say hello when you walked past.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sc...s-great-dean-cox/story-fndv8w9k-1227162993359

Scott Lycett ready to emerge from shadow of West Coast Eagles great Dean Cox

SCOTT Lycett has been four years in the making and the West Coast big man is set to stamp an imprint on the AFL.
Secure on the back of a new four-year contract and the retirement of champion ruckman Dean Cox, Lycett accepts he must elevate his game to repay the Eagles’ faith.
Lycett, 22, says he was tempted by a lucrative offer from Port Adelaide.
But after staying loyal Lycett says he is fitter and bigger than at any other stage of his lengthy apprenticeship to Cox and is ready to share ruck duties with Nic Naitanui.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sc...s-great-dean-cox/story-fndv8w9k-1227162993359

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't matter got Ryder. Lycett can play, but him staying with the Eagles was a blessing in disguise.

I see it that way too. Let's say West Coast wasn't able to talk Lycett around it would have been difficult for Port to pull off both trades. A player of fairly good value would have been lost, assuming a player trade could have been negotiated. It may have even come down to "burning" Lycett to get Ryder because if you had to choose between the two, there's an obvious choice. A blessing in disguise.

Doesn't matter got Ryder. Lycett can play, but him staying with the Eagles was a blessing in disguise.
For a ruckman to be a better fit than Ryder for us he'd have to be a better forward, as well as a decent ruck. A few better ruckmen around, but none that are better ruck/forwards. I don't think you can carry two 'ruck only' ruckmen these days. I'm looking forward to next year playing sides with two rucks and watching them run out of gas with one less rotation. Or playing sides with only one ruck and watching their clearances drop right off late as their sole ruck is exhausted and the 'part-timer' comes on.

For a ruckman to be a better fit than Ryder for us he'd have to be a better forward, as well as a decent ruck. A few better ruckmen around, but none that are better ruck/forwards. I don't think you can carry two 'ruck only' ruckmen these days. I'm looking forward to next year playing sides with two rucks and watching them run out of gas with one less rotation. Or playing sides with only one ruck and watching their clearances drop right off late as their sole ruck is exhausted and the 'part-timer' comes on.

Yeah my thought was which Ruckmen average better than 1 goal a game?? Of the blokes who got 250 or more taps and kicked 10 or more goals last year
See http://finalsiren.com/AFLPlayerStats.asp?SeasonID=2014&Round=&Sort=HitOuts Desc and click on individual for career stats

Hale 219 games for 204 goals.. 22 goals from 22 matches in 2014
Ryder 170 games for 117 goals 20 goals from 21 matches in 2014
Zac Clarke 74 games for 39 goals 12 goals from 21 games in 2014
Todd Goldstein 125 games for 59 goals 10 goals from 24 matches in 2014

Those who didn't ruck much
Rhys Stanley 58 games for 40 goals 18 goals from 19 games in 2014
Scott Lycett 22 games for 18 goals 13 goals from 12 games in 2014

The only more forward than ruckman that I would have taken over Ryder when thinking long term, would have been
Sam Day 64 games for 43 goals 19 goals from 22 games in 2014

The only more forward than ruck that I would have taken over Ryder when thinking long term would have beem
Sam Day 64 games for 43 goals 19 goals from 22 games in 2014
Don't worry. I'm sure there'll be another 50 posts on us getting Day next trade period.

Hasn't Ryder also played CHB?
Not sure how many games though.

I'd probably have Cunningham ahead of Ginever but that's probably because I saw more of his games than Tim's due to living out of the state during the golden 90s.

Brian Cunningham's left foot was as fluent and accurate as his right foot. He was as courageous player as you could ever witness and a tremendous, articulate leader. One of the best footballers I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back