Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

What if they needed to take a crap..?

"Dockers players and staff were caught short after their chartered flight ran out of water just 30 minutes into their four-hour journey following the team’s loss to Hawthorn, resulting in the plane’s toilets malfunctioning.
Cabin crew were forced to manually scoop toilet waste into basins, with passengers instructed to use basins for urination in a breach of hygiene standards."
Oh god, those poor cabin crew. They deserve a massive bonus, they don't get paid nearly enough to deal with that.

"Cabin crew were forced to manually scoop toilet waste into basins, with passengers instructed to use basins for urination in a breach of hygiene standards."

Sounds like that still did a crap in the toilet, but cabin crew moved it into the sink

The article actually covered that

Cabin crew were forced to manually scoop toilet waste into basins, with passengers instructed to use basins for urination in a breach of hygiene standards.

An AFL push to introduce a ‘wildcard weekend’ of the finals - or more simply, to expand the finals series - is “very much on” according to the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph. The league has long floated the idea of adding more games to the post-season and with the introduction of the Tasmania Devils as the 19th team on the horizon, it is gaining momentum.
The top eight teams have qualified for the AFL finals since 1994, back when the competition had 16 clubs, but with the 19 and potentially a 20th team to come there is at least some competitive reason to expand access.
The AFL would also reap the financial benefits of one or two additional post-season games, depending on the format chosen. “It’s closer than it’s ever been,” Ralph explained on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle. “Last year at Werribee Mansion they threw it up, slapped away by the AFL’s club executives.
“This time though at the conference over at Crown (Perth), it got a really warm reception. I think the AFL was pushing this one hard - they’ll do a little bit more research on it. “It’s not a certainty to come in, but I would think by 2028, we’ll have whether it’s an 8 vs 9 (game), or 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 (round). “That would be across the (bye) weekend normally where the AFLW season kicks off, but in coming years the AFLW season will be longer, it’ll start earlier. “I think this is very much on.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/6748cb9cd300b6284cb723bec4d3b10d

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An AFL push to introduce a ‘wildcard weekend’ of the finals - or more simply, to expand the finals series - is “very much on” according to the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph. The league has long floated the idea of adding more games to the post-season and with the introduction of the Tasmania Devils as the 19th team on the horizon, it is gaining momentum.
The top eight teams have qualified for the AFL finals since 1994, back when the competition had 16 clubs, but with the 19 and potentially a 20th team to come there is at least some competitive reason to expand access.
The AFL would also reap the financial benefits of one or two additional post-season games, depending on the format chosen. “It’s closer than it’s ever been,” Ralph explained on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle. “Last year at Werribee Mansion they threw it up, slapped away by the AFL’s club executives.
“This time though at the conference over at Crown (Perth), it got a really warm reception. I think the AFL was pushing this one hard - they’ll do a little bit more research on it. “It’s not a certainty to come in, but I would think by 2028, we’ll have whether it’s an 8 vs 9 (game), or 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 (round). “That would be across the (bye) weekend normally where the AFLW season kicks off, but in coming years the AFLW season will be longer, it’ll start earlier. “I think this is very much on.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/6748cb9cd300b6284cb723bec4d3b10d
So Hinkley can get the team into 10th in a contract year and it can still be considered a finals appearance? **** yeah this is everything he's ever wanted

They should make it AFLX rules

Why are we worried about Port, the AFL has become a circus which we are part of.
Football itself has become a big cash cow, just like our club, footy is secondary now, wonder why I barely watch it any more.
All of this is absolutely true in general but expanding the finals series to top 10 from 19 (probably 20) teams isn't really an example of it. It just seems like some gimmick because the AFL / AFL media insist on giving it gimmicky American names like "wildcard round" instead of just saying "the finals is an extra week now".

That being said giving all of the top 6 a week off in week 1 seems a lot. Would maybe prefer something like:

Finals Week 1
5 v 10, 6 v 9, 7 v 8.
Highest ranked loser gets double chance.
2 lowest ranked losers eliminated.
1 - 4 Bye

You've then got 8 teams and set up like previous years where 1-4 play off for prelim spots and have a 2nd chance and the other 4 have elimination games.

It means top 4 gets some genuine advantages over anything below (we always treat top 4 as a big deal so there should be clear advantages), but also gives an incentive for the others to get as high into those 5-10 positions as possible.

Also one more game so surely the AFL froth that.

All of this is absolutely true in general but expanding the finals series to top 10 from 19 (probably 20) teams isn't really an example of it. It just seems like some gimmick because the AFL / AFL media insist on giving it gimmicky American names like "wildcard round" instead of just saying "the finals is an extra week now".

That being said giving all of the top 6 a week off in week 1 seems a lot. Would maybe prefer something like:

Finals Week 1
5 v 10, 6 v 9, 7 v 8.
Highest ranked loser gets double chance.
2 lowest ranked losers eliminated.
1 - 4 Bye

You've then got 8 teams and set up like previous years where 1-4 play off for prelim spots and have a 2nd chance and the other 4 have elimination games.

It means top 4 gets some genuine advantages over anything below (we always treat top 4 as a big deal so there should be clear advantages), but also gives an incentive for the others to get as high into those 5-10 positions as possible.

Also one more game so surely the AFL froth that.
I'd love it if all goals were called SUPERGOALS for wildcard week, but still count as 6 points and be the exact same rules as normal AFL.

The whole point of the bye was to avoid clubs resting half their players when a finals position was locked in. So if we're locked into 9th and can't go any higher or lower [Edit: or for likely Vic v Vic, home or away doesn't matter...], it's ok to do that now. Tick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back