Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn...it's not freakishly great players or mastermind game plan. It's just confidence and courage to take the game on. That's what coaching is supposed to engender.
I wanted Sam Mitchell as coach when he was at the West Coast. Hawthorn said goodbye to a multi premiership coach and we are hanging on to an absolute nightmare of a coach.

Hawthorn in 2024 finals reminds me of us in 2014 finals. A perfect mix of youth and experience, fast and confident.

I wouldn't back 2024 Port vs 2014 Port. Not for a moment.

We are an also ran. Straight sets exit awaits.

Last time we played the Hawks in a final we were riding the exact same exciting, rising wave, they are now. They won another 2 flags after that moment, and we won 2 finals in 10 seasons. They sank to the bottom for a while, we've been perennial finals contenders. Now they'll come here and smack us and that entire period will have meant nothing.

Last time we played the Hawks in a final we were riding the exact same exciting, rising wave, they are now. They won another 2 flags after that moment, and we won 2 finals in 10 seasons. They sank to the bottom for a while, we've been perennial finals contenders. Now they'll come here and smack us and that entire period will have meant nothing.
Meanwhile

Sides who went past us... Nobody would have predicted this at the time..

Richmond who were a rabble at the time have won 3 flags.. whilst we all laughed at Chaplin's comments in 2014
Dogs
And even Melbourne have won one
Collingwood were trash , changed their coach and won one

Whilst we just kept ken and won **** all

It's incredible really.

Just think we could have had Chris Scott as coach. He interviewed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do t worry guys. Our flag chances improved after last night.

If we had won we would have had to win 9 in a row to win the flag, now we just have to win 3 in a row and we all know it’s harder to win 9 in a row than 3.

Do t worry guys. Our flag chances improved after last night.

If we had won we would have had to win 9 in a row to win the flag, now we just have to win 3 in a row and we all know it’s harder to win 9 in a row than 3.
Hawthorn are a hot premiership favourite and lost 6 in a row this year, so we just need to lose 7 in a row and the 2024 premiership is basically guaranteed

Port got the jump on Geelong and held on as Geelong came back, controlled the game, but port won.

Finals was a complete reversal.

Hawks got the jump on port but failed to hold on as port came back, controlled the game, but port got lucky.

Next week should be a blowout in Ports favour going by that pattern.

Credit where it's due - this mob was 1-6 after round 7.
They were 0-5.

Only 3rd time in V/AFL history that a side from 0-5 has made finals. North in the 70s and Sydney in 2017. They were 0-6 and then went 14-2 with both losses to Hawks by 6pts and one was on or after the siren. The swans won the EF then lost the SF.

Edit my bad North were only 0-4 in 1975 and went on to win the flag.

Collingwood in a 18 game season in 1959 were 0-5 and finished 12-6 which is an amazing run given it was the top 4 from 12 teams that made the final. They finished 3rd and lost the 3v4 SF to Essendon and were knocked out the first week of finals.

It ended up being another Melbourne v Essendon GF and another Melbourne victory.

Last edited:
Do they act like this after every win? If we were a serious team we’d belt them
They just did something we haven't done for a decade - they won a knock out final. So I hope we behave like that next week if we pull off a win!!!

Live footage from Kenny’s lounge room

Scared Puppets GIF
Come on now, we know Kenny doesn't watch games because then he would know the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back