Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was a GWS supporter I wouldn't be blaming Kingsley for the loss, his players made too many errors at crucial times in the last 5 minutes of the game, which allowed the individual brilliance of specifically Chad Warner and Isaac Heeney to take it away from them.

James Jordon's effort on the wing to control a loose ball near the boundary line after his opponent had fallen over, tap it back into play, keep it in front of him while he was running at full speed and then execute a near perfect pass to a team mate just outside the goal square who was surrounded by 3 opponents had a fair bit to do with the end result as well.

That kick had to be centimetre perfect, and it was!

Their depth is considerably better than ours IMO. They had Braeden Campbell come in as sub and have a serious impact whilst we have state league plodders in our starting bench.
Also have a best 22/23 on the park at the best time.

That was in a final was it?
I’m just as pissed off about Thursday night as you are.
I didn’t even get to sleep till after 430am.
We both want the same thing, I just have zero interest in what another team or coach is doing.
My only interest is Port Adelaide and that’s it.
If I was pushed on who I’d like to see win the flag this year apart from us it would be Sydney but it’s really meaningless to me.
Only positive right now with footy for me is I don’t live in Adelaide, that would be fking unbearable.

Before the game at the Gabba starts gotta say how impressive Nick Watson was last night.

I thought taking a 170cm small forward -mid with pick 5 was a mistake.

Watching him last night I thought he reminds of someone from 20-÷30 years ago but couldnt think who.

I reckon Brad Johnston on SEN before the QF preview started, in the words of Tubby Taylor at the Diving, nailed it, when he said he thinks he is a Brent Harvey clone.

Harvey started as a smart little forward, blistering pace then became a great midfielder using his smarts and speed to beat the bigger mids.

Harvey cut Port up for 20 years. I dont know if Nixon will last that long, but I reckon he will cut us up like Harvey did, this Friday night.

Watson was always going to be good. Was just his kicking. But the game has evolved more to be fast and more or less, athletic long distance runners. Pies did it good in 2023 because of their small/medium forwards in Hill and Elliot. That's the way the games going... Port need to get into the now because pressure forward isn't working as much... as In playing players like McEntee etc... need forwards who can crumb and kick but also lead not just stationary zombies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson was always going to be good. Was just his kicking. But the game has evolved more to be fast and more or less, athletic long distance runners. Pies did it good in 2023 because of their small/medium forwards in Hill and Elliot. That's the way the games going... Port need to get into the now because pressure forward isn't working as much... as In playing players like McEntee etc... need forwards who can crumb and kick but also lead not just stationary zombies.
You are pretty screwed if you can't defend it at the other end too.

The question is good vs great.

If he indeed plays like a clone of Brent Harvey then he will be great.

You are pretty screwed if you can't defend it at the other end too.
That's the balance. Hawks are primarily smaller fast forward with 1 to 2 key taller forwards but defence they have a good mix of tall KPD, interceptor and the small defenders in Impey and even Amon playing there now. Seems to work clearly. But they also clearly have a good system and structure especially their kick outs hence why Amon and Impey Down there kicking out.

Sam Docherty winning the “brave as” medal for his comeback from medical dramas.
Known of course as doing a “Robbie Gray

We have a few yes. But so,does every other list in the comp. We need to address a few areas in particular small forwards and a lock down defender. But our list is good enough. Our problem is the coach.
I listed 8 players in our side from Thursday night that wouldn’t get a game in any of the other top 4 teams.
You name me 8 players from GWS,Sydney and Geelong that played this weekend that wouldn’t get a game in our team. 😂
Don’t bother even trying pal,our problems run a lot deeper than just the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back