Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowland: @michelangeloruc:
My understanding is that Scott Burns has been moved away from senior assistant coach to just be an assistant coach, with the expectation of a big name to come in.

'Radio' is just a shortcut term anyway.

I mean it doesn't matter what medium you use - digital apps on your phone or an old fashioned manual tune AM radio from the 60s - the same commercial companies are controlling the content so what's the difference?

Same applies to newspapers- hardly anyone buys the paper version but the news delivered via apps or social media still largely comes from the same commercial organisations be it Newscorp, Nine Entertainment, ABC etc.

It's the people who get upset at the use of the term 'radio' or 'newspapers' who are the ones trapped in the past and missing the point. Media content convergence started late last century and the medium used to get it to the audience is no longer relevant.

What we should be getting upset about is the fact that, regardless of how it gets to us, we're getting less competition and less divergence of content and viewpoints than we did in the past. And that applies as much to media discussion of issues in the AFL as it does to what's happening in the Middle East.

I mean it doesn't matter what medium you use - digital apps on your phone or an old fashioned manual tune AM radio from the 60s - the same commercial companies are controlling the content so what's the difference?

Same applies to newspapers- hardly anyone buys the paper version but the news delivered via apps or social media still largely comes from the same commercial organisations be it Newscorp, Nine Entertainment, ABC etc.

It's the people who get upset at the use of the term 'radio' or 'newspapers' who are the ones trapped in the past and missing the point. Media content convergence started late last century and the medium used to get it to the audience is no longer relevant.

What we should be getting upset about is the fact that, regardless of how it gets to us, we're getting less competition and less divergence of content and viewpoints than we did in the past. And that applies as much to media discussion of issues in the AFL as it does to what's happening in the Middle East.
We've just lost adelaide radio royalty in a cost saving measure and your take is that the legacy media is stronger and making more money than ever? **** me, too soon for this hot take, too soon.

We've just lost adelaide radio royalty in a cost saving measure and your take is that the legacy media is stronger and making more money than ever? **** me, too soon for this hot take, too soon.
That's not what I said of course - it's your take on what I said. If you view this step on its own and missed the ongoing shift of local media production to eastern states that has happened over the past 3 decades, sure. But this is just one step in a long process of national syndication of media content.

But let's put it this way, whether you listened to Triple M breakfast radio or not (I never have but that's not relevant here) the one thing I'm pretty sure about. And that's James Brayshaw broadcasting into Adelaide is not going to bring more informed discussion about Port Adelaide or any other SA based footy content to those that live here.

Last edited:
That's not what I said of course - it's your take on what I said. If you view this step on its own and missed the ongoing shift of local media production to eastern states that has happened over the past 3 decades, sure. But this is just one step in a long process of national syndication of media content.

But let's put it this way, whether you listened to Triple M breakfast radio or not (I never have but that's not relevant here) the one thing I'm pretty sure about. And that's James Brayshaw broadcasting into Adelaide is not going to bring more informed discussion about Port Adelaide or any other SA based footy content to those that live here.
Always been the case but national syndication now is driven by a reduction in reach and money. They are all bleeding because of the exact opposite of what you described. Either way yes the end result is that there's no local content for SA but as I said, that's been the story for my entire life, with "live" broadcasts actually 30mins delayed here etc not that there's much that's done live anymore.

I mean a good example of the opposite is that they could just easy these days start up their own live cast each afternoon pulling across their existing audience.

To be honest I donā€™t watch the news anymore, have the ABC app on the phone.
Can flick through it to see whoā€™s trying to kill Trump next.
I donā€™t even watch much TV anymore, all these new channels only means more crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I donā€™t watch the news anymore, have the ABC app on the phone.
Can flick through it to see whoā€™s trying to kill Trump next.
I donā€™t even watch much TV anymore, all these new channels only means more crap.
I can't remember the last time I watched the news. Websites for News, streaming services for shows to watch and would be lucky to put on Free to Air TV once a year, as I'm not a reality TV fan. Even those people are watching on Apps or 'catch up' TV much of the time now. FTA is a dead medium, hanging on by a thread, by anti-siphoning rules that belong in the last century.

I am always surprised when someone mentions they listen to the radio, particularly commercial radio.

Golden age of podcasts plus Spotify, and Carrie Bickmore, Jackie O and Kyle Sandilands still collect millions to dribble shĀ”t.

Heh.

Jarman, Blewett and Vince axed despite being the top show in the timeslot.

In favour of...syndicated melbourne version of drive home with Brayshaw and Brownless. Now i'm no fan of those three, but getting more syndicated rubbish from Melbourne is a bit of a loss. Now it's just going to be more Victorian AFL trash.

This never works in Adelaide, we are parochial about our radio.

Even Kyle and Jackie O have bombed in Melbourne ... according to Victorians anyway.

Is this MMM? People will love their Hoddle Street and Richmond Road traffic reports.

Any ideas on how to watch the match at Singapore airport?!
Depends how keen you are? Last month I was in Thailand and wanted to watch Port play, plus a few other matches, so I forked out $28 for the privilege.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back