Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints draft like absolute muppets for a decade.

"ITS RIGGED"

Of course there's an element of sour grapes but that doesn't make him wrong.

Even without academy and father son picks, the draft is a poor equaliser. The wooden spooner gets the advantage of one player over the premier (ie the wooden spoon team picks at 1, the premier picks at 18, the wooden spoon team picks at 19, so the only difference is pick 1). So when you have certain clubs working the system to effectively get highly rated academy and father son prospects for little to nothing, it totally destroys the draft as an equalisation tool.

Just look at the last three premiers. Geelong had Hawkins who was All Australian captain in their premiership year. Collingwood had two Daicos' who were both All Australian and Moore who was premiership captain. Brisbane had Ashcroft who won the Norm Smith.

That's not to mention Sydney who competed in this year's grand final with Gulden, Heeney and Blakey all named All Australians and all academy products.

Then you look at clubs like Port and St Kilda who have never benefited from any of these rorts and just have to build through the draft where even if you finish last you get one player over the premier.

And the worst bit is that the solution is so easy, you just make teams pay a fair price for the player they pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wtf are they doing with their salary cap down at GMHBA.

Yeah Hawkins and Thuoy have retired but they would have been on average pay in their finals year.

Can manage to grab Smith (covers Hawkins/Thuoy) and then still have $1M just casually floating around that they can throw at Oliver?

Come off it
They delisted 7 players. Outside of Cameron and Danger (who has probably taken a big clip) who else is commanding big $ down there?

They are built on system not stars.

They're both right

After the laughable situation of Port not having a single top-5 pick across 2011/12 due to the northern clubs and resultant free agent compensation, I was repeatedly told, “but you got Wingard and Wines!”.

Imagine if they were off the board — as they should’ve been — and we picked Mayes and Toumpas instead.

How did West Coast manage to find and appoint a replacement for Adam Simpson?

I was under the impression that no other coaches were available, or even in existence for that matter.
Who’s available has fk all to do with it.
We did a vigorous search and came up with Josh Carr as our next coach.
We don’t need to interview anyone, saves on plane fares too. 👍

"Make no mistake, the Dees are happy for him to have a look...the club position privately, is different to what it is publically."- Tom Morris on Clayton Oliver

I wasn't sure which media thread this should go in - nods head or shakes head, so will put it in here.

Robbo confirmed this morning he was sacked from AFL 360 and he didn't attend the closing show for the year last night.

I don't have Fox or Kayo so wont miss him, but it means there will be less posts in the Certified Legendary Thread - The Cult of Robbo Volume 3, on the Footy Fourth Estate board.

Last edited:

For GremioPower in twitter free land, this picture and the tweet sent in and typed up on screen gives you an idea what took place.

1727761474817.png

I wasn't sure which media thread this should go in - nods head or shakes head, so will put it in here.

Robbo confirmed this morning he was sacked from AFL 360 and he didn't attend the closing show for the year last night.

I don't have Fox or Kayo so wont miss him, but it means there will be less posts in the Certified Legendary Thread - The Cult of Robbo Volume 3, on the Footy Fourth Estate board.

Makes sense he did miss a lot of shows with health problems

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back