Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Amon only got around 600k from Hawthorn IIRC. 4 year deal i think?

These 6 year deals @800-950k are considerably larger than Amon's
I understood it to be far more than that, maybe 600 was the average with 800 up front.

Clubs down the bottom + GWS and Gold Coast will get destroyed if they don't get compo picks.
Correct. Scrap free agency and if an uncontracted player wants out a deal can be struck with another club or it’s off to the PSD

Adelaide must have thrown some decent coin at Cumming

I’d be more inclined to think it was an equalisation decision. There has been a mass exodus from my beloved Giants and the league would be concerned.

The average player contract has gone up with the increase in salary cap since then too so it should even out. We have been screwed with every free agent we have lost back to Danyle Pearce.
From what Tom Morris said, there is a formula based on the size of the contract and the age of the player. So it seems that the compensation is based on tangible factors rather than some subject assessment of a players ability. Which is comforting to a degree.

So I don’t think we can say we were screwed over. But rather we were unlucky.

Greater Western Sydney will receive a band two pick for free agent Isaac Cumming. That's end of first round.
Madness.

On the phone now to PAFC. Imagine the 'band of compensation' I could get them with a few of these picks.

IMG_2305.JPG

(sorry. The way the AFL has over-complicated trade week with imported bs terminology makes me laugh)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The formula

VXptQY1IPq2xNHzPyJ4yYmSfw_5DloGGvpPA84vNQM9F5BWgPwE4Gys9PzLxbFB5bLpslLkf8WC8M2yjoqTW_xNRprrIdgixfOK0Kx7v_S9oh1L4jc517Naz3r-uJl64w8fB9mLFyumLRJFp45oLEqDWkJV-5eyEKHuR2OI_0khOap3kgGbA9-33QXHr4CeB-gmG4WM

Friendly reminder that Karl Amon fresh off an all Australian squad position netted us a band 3 pick 27. The afl draft and free agency system is totally ****ed.
No it works perfectly, Jon BIC sides get a rort, Vicnsides get blue murder

So I think I figured it out.

You give big compensation picks to GWS so they can draft a Victorian player, develop them for a few years, lose them on FA to a big Victorian team (who subsequently wins a premiership) only for the cycle to continue.

Geelong midfielder Tanner Bruhn has reportedly been interviewed by police over his knowledge of an alleged sexual assault.
The Herald Sun reported Bruhn and another man were spoken to by detectives from Victoria Police’s Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team last Thursday at Geelong Police Station.
It was in relation to an incident that took place in Belmont, in the Geelong suburbs, on February 5 last year.

So I think I figured it out.

You give big compensation picks to GWS so they can draft a Victorian player, develop them for a few years, lose them on FA to a big Victorian team (who subsequently wins a premiership) only for the cycle to continue.
This is why academies for the expansion clubs are important, it’s the best chance they have of retaining players. Even Perryman was an academy product but GWS would be crazy to pay him $900k a season

This is why academies for the expansion clubs are important, it’s the best chance they have of retaining players. Even Perryman was an academy product but GWS would be crazy to pay him $900k a season
Why is this happening do you think? What is the source of these inflated compensation picks and salaries? What is the endgame recruitment/list managers have in mind?

Remember when we all cheered when the AFL confirmed that Tasmania would get an AFL team, and didn't have the balls to take out a Melbourne team to make it happen in a way they didn't corrupt the quality or even-ness of the competition?

A reminder that we are just three years away from an AFL draft process that will cripple existing AFL teams who have not bedded down the spine of their playing list for at least a half a dozen years.

Suddenly that bargain $10 Tasmania Devils membership certificate and sticker that many of us forked out for is revealing its true cost. ;)

Why is this happening do you think? What is the source of these inflated compensation picks and salaries? What is the endgame recruitment/list managers have in mind?

Remember when we all cheered when the AFL confirmed that Tasmania would get an AFL team, and didn't have the balls to take out a Melbourne team to make it happen in a way they didn't corrupt the quality or even-ness of the competition?

A reminder that we are just three years away from an AFL draft process that will cripple existing AFL teams who have not bedded down their playing list for at least a half a dozen years.
GWS have paid way overs for the likes of Coniglio Kelly and Taylor to keep them so it strains the cap. They don’t have the money to pay the Perryman, nor should they at that price either.

The biggest mystery is how Collingwood can afford him, although their squad was the worst to win a flag in years, possibly ever, and they’d have a lot of old blokes on one year base contracts for 2025 having one last crack at a flag. God I hope they crash and burn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back