Ports greatest Rival?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Scott
performance wise Adelaide is that far behind its not really a rivalry

You are sort of right with the word sister when it does come to the crows though, they are a bunch of girls!!!

Peformance wise Adelaide is way way ahead of Port. 2 Premierships to none. That is how you judge performance not on head-head records. If you win the next 2 flags your not going to say that since your inception 'performance-wise' you are so far behind North it's not funny, are you?

That last comment is very derogetory towards women. I wouldn't be surprised if the female bigfooty posters are offended by that comment.

Originally posted by snakebite01
That last comment is very derogetory towards women. I wouldn't be surprised if the female bigfooty posters are offended by that comment.
I agree. They're much tougher than Crows players.

Peformance wise Adelaide is way way ahead of Port. 2 Premierships to none. That is how you judge performance not on head-head records. If you win the next 2 flags your not going to say that since your inception 'performance-wise' you are so far behind North it's not funny, are you?

You have two premierships, congratulations! (Is that the most reused line or what???)

Snakebite, I don't know if you read what the thread was about but I will just run it by you again, it is about Ports greatest rival.

All I did was split rivalry up into two groups.

Group 1: Rivalry between fans.

Group 2: Rivalry between teams (win/loss/draw record)

Our rivalry with Adelaide fits more into group 1. The Crows have not beaten Port Adelaide since the 23rd of April 2000 which is exactly 1011 days ago so to say that our rivalry fits into group 2 would be incorrect.

Adelaide will always be our biggest rivals when it comes to the fans because its a two team town but it would be more fair to say that Brisbane is the team that stands between us and a premiership, history shows by win/loss/draw how competitive these sides have been between each other.

Our rivalry with the Kangaroos at the moment performance wise doesn't exist obviously because we haven't beaten them, but no doubt in time we will be in front.

Don't throw your premierships in there as the argument on your performance because if you want to count that well you are pretty screwed as well because you are way behind the like of Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon.

As you can see all the female bigfooty posters have replied to my comment. :rolleyes:

If you win the next 2 flags your not going to say that since your inception 'performance-wise' you are so far behind North it's not funny, are you?

I'd prefer you to be honest and replace "if" for "when"!!!

But really you cant base a rivalry on just premierships won, it much more. If North kept beating us but we won two flags in the next two years i'd doubt it would do anything for ou"rivalry" with North, put simply we dodn't really have one. Things like us beating them a couple of times and Choppy & Cochrane playing well is probably going to annoy North supporters and build a rivalry quicker than us winning a GF or two and North finishing out of the eigth.

I see where a few of our supporters are coming from in saying that our rivalry with the cows is more supporter based, than based on close battles and 50-50 win/loss ratios but a rivalry is a rivalry no matter how it starts. I still say the cows are our biggest rivals no matter that we have it over them on the field in head to head battles, luckily for cow supporters they won those two premiership or they'd have nothing to crow about apart from the shed!!

Originally posted by Eago77
luckily for cow supporters they won those two premiership or they'd have nothing to crow about apart from the shed!!

Ah yes ............... but we did!! :D

Premierships:

Adelaide: Two

Powder: Zero

As the Port Magpie supporters have always said - nothing else counts.

Originally posted by macca23

Premierships:

Difference is most clubs dont go around boasting about two. Come back when you have 30-odd;)

Premierships:

No, nothing else counts. But ask yourself this, if Port had won 2 premierships and the last was 4 years ago, would we be making a song and dance about that? The only premiership that means anything is the next one.

Isn't it funny that no matter the topic if the cows don't like what has been said we always here about 97 and 98.............

Not sure how a couple of premierships would ever be used as a point to show there is rivalry between sides unless the battles have been between the 2 sides concerned...............

It takes many hard and tough battles to bring on a rivalry and it helps when each side wins their fair share of games.............

The constant reminders we hear about 97 and 98 always give me a laugh and for some strange reason reminds me of a comment from The Late Show a few years ago when a mother shouts out "not with the good scissors" and the subsequent story on good and bad/evil scissors............:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been 1586 days since the Crows won their last premiership, by now you would have thought they would have come up with a better come back than 'At least we have two premierships!'

But in the true typical spirit of the crow they all sound the same, nothing has changed!

But in the true typical spirit of the crow they all sound the same, nothing has changed!

If you've got it flaunt it,

but seriously guys i can recall the Port Adelaide from the SANFL fans shouting their lungs off about all the premierships they won & you lot complain about us crowing about the flags we won in 97/98 well to me that's just a case of sour grapes from you papsies,;)

The Creed of the Port Adelaide Football Club

We the players and management of the Port Adelaide Football Club accept the heritage which players and administrators have passed down to us; in so doing we do not intend to rest in idleness but shall strive with all our power to further this club’s unexcelled achievements.

To do this we believe there is great merit and noble achievements in winning a premiership......

Foster Neil Williams

Sorry Scott - you cart this around as your signature. Try as you may to denigrate our two premierships, Fos Williams knew just a tickle more about footy than you so I'll go with his opinion, rather than yours. :rolleyes:

But you have to do that don't you. At this stage, like Mother Hubbard's, the Powder's cupboard is bare.

If and when the Powder win one, I'll acknowledge it for the achievement that it truly is.

Just read the record books - they don't rub the names of previous winners out. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by noddy

but seriously guys i can recall the Port Adelaide from the SANFL fans shouting their lungs off about all the premierships they won & you lot complain about us crowing about the flags we won in 97/98 well to me that's just a case of sour grapes from you papsies,;)

Noddy, if you want to complain about our gloating about those premierships in the SANFL I think you better go to the Regional Board. :D

Originally posted by dreamkillers
Isn't it funny that no matter the topic if the cows don't like what has been said we always here about 97 and 98.............

Not sure how a couple of premierships would ever be used as a point to show there is rivalry between sides unless the battles have been between the 2 sides concerned...............

It takes many hard and tough battles to bring on a rivalry and it helps when each side wins their fair share of games.............

The constant reminders we hear about 97 and 98 always give me a laugh and for some strange reason reminds me of a comment from The Late Show a few years ago when a mother shouts out "not with the good scissors" and the subsequent story on good and bad/evil scissors............:D

Come on dk don't tell me that if the positions were reversed & the Paps had won the 2 "back to back"[ just thought i would throw that bit in as well dk] you guys wouldn't neglect to remind us all of that point on a regular basis, as my old papa used to say "make hay while the sun does shine"

If you ask the Crows & Pap players which team they look forward to beating the most 99% of them would say their cross town rivals & if the supporters were truthful they would say the same,

to me a successful & most rewarding year in footy would be another Crows premiership plus the Port Power receiving the wooden spoon for another year, ah pure bliss dk pure bliss.:D

as for your "good scissors" story mate, well i've already said you've been to long in the top end,

The Creed of the Port Adelaide Football Club

We the players and management of the Port Adelaide Football Club accept the heritage which players and administrators have passed down to us; in so doing we do not intend to rest in idleness but shall strive with all our power to further this club’s unexcelled achievements.

To do this we believe there is great merit and noble achievements in winning a premiership......

Foster Neil Williams

Sorry Scott - you cart this around as your signature. Try as you may to denigrate our two premierships, Fos Williams knew just a tickle more about footy than you so I'll go with his opinion, rather than yours. :rolleyes:

But you have to do that don't you. At this stage, like Mother Hubbard's, the Powder's cupboard is bare.

If and when the Powder win one, I'll acknowledge it for the achievement that it truly is.

Just read the record books - they don't rub the names of previous winners out. :rolleyes:

I came, I watched, I saw. Im not going to deny your premierships, you fair and square won on the day and nothing can take that away

But do you need to harp on about it?

I don't mind you being proud about your two premierships but this thread started out being about Ports greatest rival.

In short the majority of us have agreed when it comes to rivalry between the fans our greatest rival has to be Adelaide but when it comes to those matches won and lost on the field it has to be Brisbane.

At no time did we mention the 97/98 premierships but like always one crow supporter has to throw something in about it.

You just can't come out and say that Adelaide must be our greatest ever rival because you have two premierships.

If you ask the Crows & Pap players which team they look forward to beating the most 99% of them would say their cross town rivals

No I think if you gave the players the option of beating Adelaide or Brisbane they would take Brisbane, beating Brisbane is far more significant.

Careful now Noddy......snakebite01 might think your trying to upset the ladies with that last word.............;)

No I think if you gave the players the option of beating Adelaide or Brisbane they would take Brisbane, beating Brisbane is far more significant.

yeah right, well you better tell that to W Tredrae as that is not his train of thought as was stated on fox footy in his interview last year,

You just can't come out and say that Adelaide must be our greatest ever rival because you have two premierships.

I agree with that from a football rivalry sense - the 2 premierships have nothing to do with it. I was just getting a little p*ssed off with them being dismissed as if they were trial match wins. Particularly from supporters who LOVE to quote their very imposing SANFL record at any poor fool who will stand still long enough to listen!! :)

I don't know whether the Crows are your greatest rival from a footy sense or not - I'm not really sure who ours is. That could vary from season to season. But when it comes to rivalry with supporters, we're both proving it right now!!! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ports greatest Rival?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back