Review Positives & Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game ... I was super impressed with Grima, read the ball beautifully most of the time - which helps when you're not the speediest. Maj is slowly learning where to be and how best to compete. If/when his tank improves (hopefully thru regular games) he'll be awesome - offers so much more than Curry. His ruck work was in particular impressive at times tonight. So much upside when you consider who is to come back, still conceding scores thru woeful turnovers etc.

At the game ... I was super impressed with Grima, read the ball beautifully most of the time - which helps when you're not the speediest. Maj is slowly learning where to be and how best to compete. If/when his tank improves (hopefully thru regular games) he'll be awesome - offers so much more than Curry. His ruck work was in particular impressive at times tonight. So much upside when you consider who is to come back, still conceding scores thru woeful turnovers etc.
That pack work that led to the Dal Santo goal was magnifique given the context of the game.

Ok I've calmed down enough to provide a more thoughtful response

The biggest negative was that we still lack the cleanness with the ball in close - we pressured and worked and controlled the tempo of the game but we still don't look like an elite team.
The kicks to no-one - hurried and unhurried. None of the top teams do this. This will kill us when playing them. It did last week.
The skills base is still too low over the whole team.
A lot of important players were still well below their best - despite the awesome work rate. Mullet Black Thomas Hansen Bastinac. All must improve if we are match it with Geelong and Hawthorn.
The first ten minutes was a clinical display of our worst footy.
The kicks into the man on the Mark was seriously shitful.
Freo was woeful and you can't put it all down to our pressure.
We need a sub with explosive speed who can kick goals. BMAC ain't it.
Majak still looks out of his depth

The biggest positive has to upside. We have players missing who will return and an quite a few good players down on the best who will improve.
Boomer NDS Cunners Goldstein Ziebell Petrie Grima Atley McDonald were all excellent
Tippett was very good.
We are getting better and better at controlling space - something we've never been able to to do before this year.
Our composure after quarter time improved as the game went on.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but we have never been 4-2 after 6 rounds under Scott. And the early draw has not been easy.
Gibson was seriously superb tonight. Despite his low quality kicking, he imposed himself on the contest with his huge work rate. Hell, he kicked two goals.
We looked fast and worked numbers to the contests. Also prevented uncontested ball movement by the dockers for much of the game.
We made them play our game - contest to contest.
The whole team went in very hard.
We won another close one. So even the skills are down on the last year, we have improved our mental game massively.
I just hope we don't come back to Melbourne emotionally and physically exhausted like we did after the Sydney win.
We really need to back it up with another strong performance next week.

Boomer destroying that hack Crowley, even kicked the ball in his face too which he deserved.

Atley's poise, decision making and attack on the game.

Grima lifting a gear to cover Thomoson..

Spud standing firm and driving attack without the brain fades.

Petrie's work ethic and clutch goal

Goldstein battling tirelessly in the ruck getting the better of the goofy looking giant.

Cunners continuing to string strong games together with another great performance.

Daw's effort was good and is miles ahead of Currie already.

Dal Santo's class and leadership again shines through.

Our fitness base is getting stronger and we are winning games from coming from behind aginest top quality bogey sides away from home.

Our skills are still pretty poor and we need to be more efficient on goal.

Pos... too many to mention Boomer, NDS, Grima, Spud, Gibson, broke even in the ruck.... Cunners....

Negs,

lost the inside 50 count
better kicking for goal needed
Black was rather poor although he was injured there so let it slide i guess
JZ was terrible looked slow and flatfooted

So, reckon we'll find room for Swallow, Wells and Thompson?

Negative - Was at work and my foxtel didnt record it correctly...for some reason stopped at half time! and for some reason fox footy arent showing a replay till mid week, yet every 2nd day last week they showed the collingwood v roos game! Boo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negative - Was at work and my foxtel didnt record it correctly...for some reason stopped at half time! and for some reason fox footy arent showing a replay till mid week, yet every 2nd day last week they showed the collingwood v roos game! Boo
Cough ...

Mine didn't work either and the pricks r showing the Pies v Bombers 3 times before ours which is on Tuesday.

Wrapped with the win!
Most have been covered
Pos
Stood up when it counted unlike last year. Partly because of improved fitness but more so the gameplan. We have become average starters and look slow early but finish strong. Much better this way!
Atley- SILKY skilled player need more like him
Gibson- Running machine
Grima-Stood up bigtime in Thompson's Absence
Mckenzie kick to petrie was jizzworthy. And Drew capped it off
Cunnington's marking is a delight

A couple of players who need to lift:
Our Skill level is not looking top 4 standard although Swallow Wells and Thompson back may help a bit.
Ziebell- Will someone tell him to keep his feet? Yeah alright game.. but frustrating to see him constantly falling over. See him as more of a half forward player. Great mark, good kick. Brings good intensity around the contest but not the poise of say a cunnington or swallow.
Basti- Fumbles constantly, used to be clean has not been this year. Worrying
Mullet- Out of sorts a part from goal-kicking!
Maj- Gets a pass mark. Needs to work on his intensity though

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives & Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back