Possible betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

The way they're talking about it now on the Footy show, it sounds much better for Hunter. He was told by the VFL player that his account had been used for the bet and Lachie immediately informed the club.

Sounds much better, VFL listed player is toast

Sounds like it's not to bad the way Barrett just described it.

Sounds like Hunter's mate accessed his betting account (without his knowledge) for a $10 multibet...so if true

Welcome back Lachie after your 8 week suspension.

And he wasn't selected because he was late for a recovery session by fifteen minutes. Leadership group stood him down from games for four weeks. So still can't play round 1 regardless of the betting probe.

Where's this kids head at? I have no idea what Hunter is like but it really sounds like he has an over inflated view of himself; he could do with some serious reprogramming on what it takes to be a top line league footballer. FFS he hasn't achieved anything yet, so why he thinks it's ok to be involved in gambling has got me beat. If it is true, I think we have to approach this the same way we did with Libba. Isolate him from the group and re-educate him through work experience. See if it makes any difference. If it doesn't, move him on.

Still his account, should get punished

He will but its a whole less worse than we all had feared, good he reported it straight away and didn't try to cover it up.

Also a good sign with the leader group suspending him for missing a training session, shows they won't tolerate crap.

The incident could be the making of him (here's hoping)

Based on that, most of you guys are willing to throw him under a bus. We need to look after our own a bit more and support them. Do you think it looks better to support Hunter and help him through or de-list him and wash our hands off?

Meanwhile, over at Bomber land, a 40+ year old coach entrusted with caring for a bunch of kids organises a systematic illegal doping programme. He gets a contract extension and paid holiday with nothing sticking to him.

I don't want to throw him under the bus, but from a purely corporate perspective - we cannot accept a protracted Essendon type scandal, where our name, reputation and community image are tarnished by being soft on illegal betting activities on sporting events they are (essentially) involved in.

If the worst is realised, I'm sure that PG will know this as well - if it's Hunter or the longer term sustainability of the club by making a stand now (in contrast to the behaviour of the Bombers) - Hunter is out on his ear....

Isn't Edgewater opening this year ? Bloody great timing this is.....

Lets not go all silly here. This is a 20yr old who placed a bet on a practice match he wasn't even playing in. Collected, then self-reported (all allegedly). There is no suggestion of match fixing or insider information.

Based on that, most of you guys are willing to throw him under a bus. We need to look after our own a bit more and support them. Do you think it looks better to support Hunter and help him through or de-list him and wash our hands off?

Meanwhile, over at Bomber land, a 40+ year old coach entrusted with caring for a bunch of kids organises a systematic illegal doping programme. He gets a contract extension and paid holiday with nothing sticking to him.

Agree. 20 years old, surrounded by a gambling culture all his life, never had to work in the real world, too much money, too much time. Just a really dumb thing to do. This is his great wake up call.

I don't remember Lillee and Marsh being sacked when they bet against Australia and that was in an Ashes match, not a practice match and everyone still loved them.

But seriously why is gambling allowed on a practice match, that's like allowing gambling on horse race trials (which they don't) where they may not even be trying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they could do what they did to Libba after the drug night and send him to work as a labourer on a building site. Might come back a better person for it.

Where's this kids head at? I have no idea what Hunter is like but it really sounds like he has an over inflated view of himself; he could do with some serious reprogramming on what it takes to be a top line league footballer. FFS he hasn't achieved anything yet, so why he thinks it's ok to be involved in gambling has got me beat. If it is true, I think we have to approach this the same way we did with Libba. Isolate him from the group and re-educate him through work experience. See if it makes any difference. If it doesn't, move him on.
Hunter went to my school (St. Kevin's College) and it's fair to say he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Most footballers are like that though so he is no exception. For what it is worth, Libba and Wallis both went to SKC as well.

Sounds like Hunter's mate accessed his betting account (without his knowledge) for a $10 multibet...so if true

Welcome back Lachie after your 8 week suspension.

Without his knowledge? Just guessed his password? His "mate" couldn't open his own account? His "mate" (VFL listed) wouldn't know the rules? I'm starting to smell as much BS as what has been coming from the AFL/Essendon these past years.

Oh does self reporting = someone got wind of it?

Couldn't care what I hear from hear as I get dizzy with all the spin. As earlier posts suggest, he needs a hefty holiday. 8-14 weeks range IMO and hope he wakes up to himself.

Why would this player have access to Hunter's account? Again stupid by Hunter to provide access.
my mates have access to my NBA League pass since i trust my mates not be to be stupid with my account
likely the same thing since they do horse betting etc

Just seems to be one thing after another with this club atm doesnt it??
Puts a bitter taste in my mouth players betting against their own team... Like someone earlier said these guys clearly have way too much time an money on their hands. Whoever it is should be banned from the club for the year IMO

VFL player used Hunters account to bet on game, Hunter knew nothing until half time of game. Was a multi bet and then Hunter reported staight away.

It may not be as bad as it all seems.

SOURCE: Footy Show AFL Damian Barret

Sounds like the VFL player is taking the fall for Hunter. A little too convenient.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back