Possible line-up Dogs vs Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we can make a real game of it.

Our midfield has matured and we have an excellent rotation. Guys like Cross and Giansiracusa might not the size of others but they will fight it out. West never gets pushed off a contest and Cooney has a combination of genuine size and breakaway pace that makes him standout. Gilbee and Murphy add a lot of class and if Hahn is back he gives us the ability of having someone who breaks through a tackle.

We need the extra tall in defence to combat the Cats key players but equally it will be our ability to curb the influence of the likes of Johnson, Ablett and Chapman that will make or break us.

We also need another forward to stand-up and assist Darcy but if Minson can provide a similar contest to last weeks effort we will be in real good shape to give the Cats a a bit of a scare.

If Mitch Hahn gets the all clear to play and cant walk straight back into this side i will rip my ticket up and not go on Sunday.

Bowden must go. He is crap. i dont rate Skipper but would rather see him in the side. Have not seen Walsh this year but he could also be a replacment.

Phat said:
Yes.

But you've got me beat as to what relevance that has to anything i typed or this weekends match.

Well you stated that the side that beat Port last week was effectively understrength and that we would therefore be up against a side that would be stronger than a side that knocked off the reigning premiers. I only thought it proper that someone should acknowledge that the Port side you beat by 3 points was well below full strength as well.

Phat said:
King is fine to play. He could have played last week but given his numerous injuries they gave him a week off.

We will also be strengthened greatly by the return of our most talented forward, Dog Johnson, and our most versatile bigman Cameron Mooney will also come back.

Our team will be much stronger (and much more versatile) than the team that went to Adelaide and beat Port.

Thanks, sounds like you guys have a few players back. I think we should definately bring in another big now, but really im not sure who. Down back we already have Harris, Rawlings and Grant (i dont think he should play forward), plus Hargrave is pretty tall. Other than that we only really have Darcy and Minson.

Would like to see Bandy perhaps given another chance but if our backman are getting carved up he cant really go down there. Morgan cant really play up forward. Not sure if Walsh is ready as I obviously cant see him play. Street is bordering on useless with Minson in the team. Skipper by all reports played badly a few weeks back. Maybe Bowden should be kept. Tough decision, which is a pleasant surprise.

Anyway if Hahn is fit bring him back.

Out - Eagleton, Boyd

In - Hahn, Bandy.

Palace03 said:
As was said before Street provides a contest when Darcy is in the ruck, i would even throw them both down there for 10 minutes here and there while Minson is in the ruck.

I don't think Street can provide a contest. Unless he has undergone a radical change to last season the big fella will struggle. Too often last season when street was in the ruck we would win the taps and then get hammered by the opposition ruckman around the ground. Up forward, at best street is a stand and mark type guy. This means he wont lead, and the ball will pretty much have to be bombed into the square which would make us pretty predictable. Also although his height give him a huge reach, his balance is horrible and he is just as likely to be too easily bumped aside which would mean his effectiveness is negligible. I haven't seen or read anyhting re Street's form which would justify his place ahead of any other player at this stage. Eade has even said that he has some work to do.

Number 2 1961 said:
Close Borgsta

Out - Bowden, Boyd

In - Hahn, Walsh.

Poor old Boydy is a bit underated. He might not be a flashy as Brad Murphy but what he brings to the table is hardness and a fierce work ethic. He also gives us another defensive option for a small forward (like an Ablett or Chapman). I'd rather keep in a tagger/midfielder/back than a goalsneak. Boydy has earn't his recall and should be given more than one week back.

simmo_b said:
Poor old Boydy is a bit underated. He might not be a flashy as Brad Murphy but what he brings to the table is hardness and a fierce work ethic. He also gives us another defensive option for a small forward (like an Ablett or Chapman). I'd rather keep in a tagger/midfielder/back than a goalsneak. Boydy has earn't his recall and should be given more than one week back.

Gotta agree there. I would have Eagleton out before Boyd.

Number 2 1961 said:
Close Borgsta

Out - Bowden, Boyd

In - Hahn, Walsh.

actually geelong is one of those teams that is susceptible to the old midget foraward line trick. clearing out the forward line and having darce camped in the square and everyone else leading away from him will stop him getting double-teamed, unless they play a spare man 20m in front of him.

I think that was the idea with b.murph against adelaide. his job was to sit out wide and dare the defender camped in the hot spot to let him have a free chance.

The post about our team being a bit soft under pressure was interesting to say the least. Maybe you dont remember last time we played?

That aside though. I think we are both more evenly matched than most people would suggest. Statistically we are both quite similar. A big advantage to us is our home ground. KP was a fortress last year and we know how to play it well. Many teams get lost early on and dont get back in the game.

Expect:
A big last quarter from Joel Correy, he is very adept at picking up big numbers in Q4.
Chapman to have a good game.
King to get destroyed in the Ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive game for us again.We have a shocking draw for the next few weeks and really need to win this.Not to sure how Eade is going to go about this.We usually play well on that ground probably because it is long and narrow which tends to straighten us up.

The cats would be close to the hardest midfield in the comp to completely lock down because they are so ridiculously even.When you look at them you just dont really know who to target and who is going to be running with who.They are all very honest and accountable and in the main very well rounded players.Even there flankers pretty much play as extra midfielders and in some ways Ablett,Chapman and Hunt are more dangerous than there midfielders.There is every chance that either West or Cross will go head to head with Ling.Ling and West have had some good battles in the past so it probably just depends on the wash up of the other match ups.I dont think either coach will be particularly worried about putting a hard tag on them.

We need to be very hard at the contest around the middle because Kelly,Bartel,Enright,Ling,Corey and those sort of guys will just keep coming all day.Fantastic test for Cooney to try and break them open.IMO our pace is probably the only thing we have over the cats who are not slow but dont have as many players with that real break away pace.If Cooney,Gilbee,Mcmahon,Murphy,Eagleton and co can get out and really take some risks and run with the ball then it might unsettle the cats especially if they are a little off the boil.

There backline is another strength although it hasn't been as punishing as it was last season.Scarlett has been down on last year and we are pushing ******** up hill if he can find form.Wouldn't mind getting him one out nice and early with Darcy or even Johnson (if he played on him) who has given him the run around before.Really have to put pressure on there defenders when the ball hits the ground because guys like Josh Hunt will hurt us.Eade will try and pull him deep but he isn't overly weak playing that sort of role.Expect to see plenty of guys like Murphy,Johnson and Cooney rotating deep because it is one area we could trouble them in.Those 3 guys are very clever forwards and I think we need to make Hunt and Milburn play on quality players or they will run off all day.

There forward line is interesting and not as weak as some believe.I reckon they will play 3 talls against us at most times with possibly Gardiner as another half tall.Kingsley is there main targte when they are moving the ball well and is a very good leading player.To be honest I think our best structure for this game would be if we brought in Morgan and played the extra tall.Ottens will push forward and Playfair was good last week and has genuine height meaning Hargrave would probably be undersized.Ottens body work was fantastic last week so for me if we can afford it we have to play Harris on him when he is forward.It means that if we dont play the extra tall then Hargrave will have to take Kingsley because IMO he and Harris are the only two talls who can cover him on the lead.That would leave one of Rawlings/Grant to mind Playfair with one of them to play forward.Bowden could be a wild card aswell.He wasn't required as a forward last week so Eade may throw him back.

Chapman and Ablett really need to be the two guys that we watch because to me they are pretty much the barometer for Geelong.Morris should and almost certainly will get one of them.They are about as dangerous as each other and work both ways aswell.I would probably throw him on Ablett as the priority just because he has that burst that could be harder to cover for someone else.Chapman still needs to be watched closely because he can kick goals from anywhere inside 60 metres.Unfortunately we cant afford to take to much dash out of the backline so one of our attacking defenders is going to have to play on one of these guys unless we play with a loose man.

I would bring in Peter Street for Pat Bowden this week.

Bowden needs to go back to Werribee and find some decent form.

Street on the other hand I would use as a burst player in the forward line. I think the Cats might be a bit short at the back. This could give us an advantage if we played a twin tower set up of Street and Darcy at times. I really think the new rules would suit Street and would make it hard for them to counter when he sticks his arms up. But I would only do it in bursts to minimise any opportunity of the Cats exposing Street on the rebound.

BulldogMike said:
At this stage if Mitch Hahn was alright you'd have to include him for Brad Murphy. If the extra tall is needed then Bandy should be selected as well.

Would be pretty harsh to drop B. Murphy after his performance last week, he had a very good game I thought.

In - Hahn.
Out - Bowden.

sfish54 said:
I don't we will need someone like street because i think King might be injured for the clash against us. He didn't play against Port.

If Hahn is fit you would think he would come in the side but for who?
I don't think it should be Bowden because we need mid talls for this match. I think the replacement could be either Boyd or B Murphy.
hahn is only 3cm shorter than bowdo, so i reckon that should be the change. hahn also plays taller, because he actually jumps for the ball, unlike bowdo!!

Leon said:
Would be pretty harsh to drop B. Murphy after his performance last week, he had a very good game I thought.

In - Hahn.
Out - Bowden.

"Eade brings back Mitch Hahn after the midfielder missed the Crows' game with a shoulder injury.

The coach said one player would make way for Hahn, but there would be no other changes."

"Eade said that Mitch Hahn - a late withdrawal against Adelaide - looks set to return to the line-up for Sunday's game, meaning an "unlucky youngster" would miss out."

Hahn in, B. Murphy out.

Borgsta said:
Grant (i dont think he should play forward.

As I recall Chris has been sensational down at Geelong the last 2 times he's played there (2001 & 2002). Marshalling the troops down back and reading the play so well in those comeback games.

Hahn in

B. Murphy out (unfortunately, but gee his ability to find the goals could be missed)

I just couldn't drop Boyd yet, this could be a tough one. And I keep expecting Bowden to do the unexpected.

scottydeewah said:
A big advantage to us is our home ground. KP was a fortress last year and we know how to play it well. Many teams get lost early on and dont get back in the game.

Actually the Doggies have won the last 5 games @ Geelong...and 6 of last 7.

For some reason it seems to be a ground where we actuallt kick straight...Maybe due to the fact that's it's long, but thin, so we can't lead off to the pockets like we do everywhere else! (Kicked 76.46 in last 5 games)
I realise games from 1998-2003 have relatively little relevance, but neither does last years game when we predictably got smashed in the dome.

Statistically, Geelong have a far better defense than us, but one interesting note is that despite the good defense, the Cats have allowed the 9th most points, due completely to the opposition kicking straight!
Geelong's opponents have kicked goals at 63.96% of shots, which is by far the worst in the league. Chance/luck? Or do the Cats allow a lot of shots from close and straight in front? (no idea! :D )

Given some fine weather it looks to be a shootout either way, and the Doggies can outscore anyone. (Adelaide came into last weeks game with the best defense, and how'd they fare 140 points later! :p )

Given that Darcy is destined to play more in the forward line, it is a must that B Murphy lines up alongside him as he is the only genuine goalsneak in the Club.

Front and centre - that's him. Then when he has the ball he knows where to find the goals rather than spraying it anywhere.

scottydeewah said:
KP was a fortress last year and we know how to play it well. Many teams get lost early on and dont get back in the game.

I know the last two times we've played there we've really struggled to come back from 40 points down.

I mean, the last time it took us what, 15 minutes of football?

Just to clarify, i'm obviously talking about the last time we got "lost early on"

Last time we played at KP we did have an 80 point 3/4 time lead or something... In our worst season i've ever seen.

Line up, bend over, get the lube out and prepare yourselves for an all mighty rogering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible line-up Dogs vs Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back