Review Post match discussion Rd 13 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeeez Gwilt was good.

Good performance from the boys.

I think they have a heap more improvement in them still.

Good confidence booster as we load up for the second half.

Re: Rd 13 St Kilda v Geelong MCG

You saw a different game than me. Some terrible calls for both teams, which I'll assume was the rain getting in the eyes of the umpires.

No no, my point was in response to karma who effectively stated that the game was done and dusted against us because of the umpiring, which I found cheapened the game itself since both sides had to put up with shit umps as all sides have effectively had to do this year. For every incorrect disposal against us (cats players simply dropping the ball) there were us with a jumper tug.

And watch the replay with Milne - falling over before you take a solitary step should never constitute play on (unless you are Stephen Milne).

Defending that decision... lol... :D

I agree that umpiring in general was terrible... but if you truly believe this after watching the replay, you aren't too knowledgeable about the game champ.

Milne did not only take at least 1 step in playing on, watch his hand try to brush and on-coming Hunt tackle... not the reaction of a player with the intention to stand his mark. That was play on everyday of the week. Like I said, the umpiring was equally terrible for both teams and didn't upset the result... just the viewing of it.

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

- Thought Farren was fabulous, and treated RIDICULOUSLY by the umps - thought he must have swapped jumpers with Blakey for a while.
- Jack Steven - wow. Just wow. Clearly the heir apparent for Milney as the key small forward in a few years, but still obviously can play a role now. Having THREE strong goal sneaks, two of which (Schneids and Jack) can rotate in the midfield, is very exciting. Opposition can't nullify all three of them. And I thought his interview after the game with Tim was kinda, well, sweet - you could see Tim leading the questions for the rookie-interviewee, which I thought was nice of him: when Jack started to talk a bit too much about himself and how great it was to be there, he gently asked, "And it was a great team effort, wasn't it, Jack?"
- All detractors of Schneids this year, be silent.
- LOVED Gwilt's strength and poise in the backline - his ability to charge through tackles, was awesome. He's clearly found his spot and role. I love that oppositions are now going to have to think of ANOTHER Saint they have to nullify. No Pod.
- Yet again, Jones does a number on Gablett. Whenever he's playing us, he's going to be a bit like Belloch from Raiders of the Lost Ark, "Agh, Jones..."
- Kosi will be, as usual, hiding behind an excuse... too wet to be his kind of game last night. Meanwhile, Stanley didn't kick one either, but worked his guts out to do whatever he could - tackles, chases, running up the wing for a mark (remind you of anybody...?), ferocity, pace. Kosi is starting to remind me of comeback-Gehrig, letting his man run off of him like that.
- Peake showed that he's not a one-trick-pony. He's not just there for his pace and run-and-carry. He was desperate for the ball last night... indeed the whole team was. But it was great to see him diving at the ball, desperately trying to get it out to a team member as the Cats descended on him. Earned a bit of respect last night, I felt.

As for the value of beating Geelong, with their FIVE HUGE NAMES OUT OF THE TEAM (I think somebody mentioned that once...), well... Look, we're missing Clarke, Gram and Riewoldt. And that's not really the point. Rossco said in that Team Management Meeting that Geelong are the in-form team and we are just on the up and growing. And he's right. We beat a team that has been stellar form, treated as if they are invincible for the last month or so. On form, people would have, and should have, picked them. To have win in those circumstances is pretty top-notch.

Loved Bomber at the half-time interview adding, "Tough game this one..." He knew.

Ooh, forgot to mention Dempster. Thought that was a pretty brilliant job for a first game back. Real strength, and stitched up SJ - reckon Stevie was thinking when he'd elbowed Bakes (in an incident the match-review-panel won't even look at), "Phew, glad that's over." Seany D made it just worse. Loved it.

Backline players: Baker, Dempster, Gwilt, Blake, Fisher, Clarke, Dawson, Geary. Shed a tear, oppositions.

Oh, that reminds me, how flipping AWESOME was Geary?!?! Really starting to show how good he's going to be for us. Very exciting.

Great win but I think we should have and needed to beat them. As much as Roo and Gram are important for us I think with them missing Chapman, Ottens, Rooke, Kelly and Corey as well as already beating us in the Grand Final I think we definitely needed that win.
Even though the likes of Dal Santo, Goddard, Monty etc were great and topped the possession count it was our bottom end players that won us the game. Therefore when Geelong get those players back and have no bottom end players it will be a different game.

Geary is showing great signs. Very important that the moved him away from certain hot spots after the first quarter so he didnt have to rebound the ball as he is still very bad at that and turned it over most times. Developing very well though.

Gwilt! Gwilt ma boy what a gun. Full of confidence now and playing awesome because of it. Kicking well on his right, running out of defense. I'm sure Pods is injured but he also killed him which other players still haven't been able to do. Doubt Dawson will be back in anytime soon.

Steven obviously great game. Very slack in the Carlton game and got dropped because of it but was great tonight. We need small forwards to kick goals against Geelong so people like Milburn have to be accountable and he stepped up. Cool finishing and hopefully can increase his fitness to play out games as the year goes on.

Stanley did what he needed to very well. Made a contest and took the ball out of bounds. Also took a couple of nice marks which was a bonus. Still not as agile as I hoped he would be. Having Kosi is bad enough.

Dempster was much better down back. He is still a worry if we have to play him come finals though. He just goes all out in whatever he does and Geelong have such skill that they can draw free kicks from him or work him under the ball etc. Was solid tonight but wouldn't want him in the GF which he wont be as long as everyone is fit.

Peake played his best game for sure. 3rd quarter was unreal! Dont know exactly where he was playing or his role but he beat whoever he was on. Very important in setting up the win.

Just felt like it wasnt Ray's night. Every call was going against him, most I thought were fair though and every goal they kicked he seemed to be nearby but if he was in fact on Wojcinski then he played an awesome game.

Disappointed Jones let Ablett get 2 goals, especially the first one. Ablett definitely went missing for a bit when we started to dominate though.
Still always amazed at how bad Kosi is. Can someone please teach him how to out maneuver his opponent when he has position.
Milne clearly showed that he gets nervous in big games. Got 2 goals though which is very important.
McEvoy and Gardiner pretty much cancelled out West and Blake. Ottens in for West is just massive.
Baker doesn't surprise Saints fans. Always kills his opponents in big games.
Blake destroyed Mooney.
Didn't really notice McQualter but he got 23 possessions so I'm sure he must have been alright.
Dont care how good Schneider plays until the Grand Final.
And then that leaves the big guns in Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna, Hayes, Fisher and Gilbert. Don't really need to say much on them. Montagna is such a smart footballer now and no doubt Ling will go to Dal Santo when it counts and Bartel will probably tag Goddard with Selwood and Hayes going head to head.

Great game saints. Defending like we did last year now and starting to peak. Will be twice as hard if we happen to meet in the finals though but the 4 points was very important. Needed to separate from the pack.

Lyon should definitely get credit for his coaching, the Geelong coaching staff have some work to do.

I've watched Guilt before in matches but never really rated him, but played amazingly, was one of the best on ground for me.

Congratulations on the victory, not much you can say except far to good on the night.
If someone said before the game that any team, under any conditions, could restrict the cats to three behinds in a half of footy you'd look to have them committed; best defensive effort I've probably ever witnessed.

Can't leave without putting my hand up for a couple of the lads though ...

Selwood (who ducks his head way too much to be truly respected by opposition fans)

Gotta say that anyone who can't truly respect this bloke can't really truly respect footy.

Yet again, Jones does a number on Gablett. Whenever he's playing us, he's going to be a bit like Belloch from Raiders of the Lost Ark, "Agh, Jones..."

Thirty two disposals, seven clearances, three tackles and two goals, if we meet again in the GF I hope he "does a number" similar to that again, I'd take that output from Gaz every day of the week. ;)

You have little idea. When you are constantly harped on about as a complete and utter joke, when you field numerous calls to gtfo of "our comp" as if you aren't a foundation member, where you can't even celebrate a goddamn win because someone else always has to pipe up about how it means nothing, there's another DVD in the works and similar because a club milestone shouldn't be celebrated by supporters? And then to lose the GF after the season we had by a goddamn toe poke. By those little instances that would otherwise be so very inconsequential and to have further insult to injury by having that one bloke tied on points with Chappy for the Norm but disallowed on count back because majority < the number 3.

You have no clue how much it did and still does.

The man stands up in finals, he may cause you have your heart in your mouth and close your eyes when he gets it, but he was playing decent footy, he was stringing together games that we knew he was capable of, and much like early Kosi, or his brother X his body just capitulated with yet another injury. On his best he is best 22 on the interchange. The man effectively won us a prelim final.

Perhaps his username should give you some indication of his mental condition... Patrick Bateman is a psycho.

But would also like to note that Geelong did lose a GF, so perhaps some of us do actually know how it hurts, even though the GF wasn't as close. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, lol except Hawthorn supporters, and HATE when its used to make a point, especially in the GF loser's own board in a genuine discussion of a game.

Enjoy the win!

Dempster could be very important come finals. We missed him in 08 and he gave out a bath last night.

Also you must be a champion if you can diss one of our gf players the way you just smashed schneids. Played a great game and you talk that sh#t.

On the game I would have been disappointed if we lost given their outs... We are missing two ultra important players however I expected us to own the middle which we pretty much did, even though the clearance stats suggest different.

Our improvement last year came from the bottom 6-7 players so hopefully they can continue to step it up and become household names like the cats players.

GO SAINTS!

I'd like to point out that after weve beaten good teams this year the media always go on about how the opposition played poorly.

We beat Collingwood, but that was because they kicked poorly, we beat WB for the same reason, we beat Fro but they didnt play there best, we beat Geelong and held them goalless for 2 quarters, and they say it was because they had injuries and they played poorly.

So were either the luckiest team ever OR another way to look at it, has to do with the unrelenting defensive tactics that the team applies all around the ground, we regularly force teams to play badly.

Externally other supporters and the media might not 'get it'. But internally the club and the supporters, we know how good we are. We know on our day we can take on any team in the comp and win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its amazing that StKilda has beaten every team in the top 6. Thats 6 wins against the other 5 sides in the top 6, but still noone rates us a chance at all, and its always the oppositions fault for losing the game. They said No Riewoldt, No StKilda but boy have we proved them all wrong. It was the same last year when we won 19 in a row. But as we showed everyone last night we have what it takes to go very deep into September again this year.

Just one point on all the cats supporters crying foul that they were missing Ottens out of their best team. Seriously how many H&A games has this bloke actually played in past couple years? 6 or 7 max. Thats like saying we are missing Jesse Smith out of our best 22 because everyone knows if he's fit and firing he'd be in any teams best 22.

Was an awesome team effort last night and was just the kick start for the run home we needed before we hit our straps come finals time.

No no, my point was in response to karma who effectively stated that the game was done and dusted against us because of the umpiring, which I found cheapened the game itself since both sides had to put up with shit umps as all sides have effectively had to do this year. For every incorrect disposal against us (cats players simply dropping the ball) there were us with a jumper tug.

I just get so frustrated at times Fly, I try not to bring the umpires into it, but seeing those goals that the Cats get from dodgy decisions, like the continual ducking of the head by Selwood and the way the Cats throw the ball away it drives me nuts when I see it end in a goal. I thought we had their measure all night. When "The Handicapper" went to bed at 1/2 time, see commented, having not seen one second of the game, "oh its not looking good for the Saints". I replied I think we are about to run all over them going by the scrappy and fluky goals they had scored. eg first goal to Ablett from a misdirected Saints kick, two goals originally started with Selwood ducking head and getting free kicks, Ablett's jag snap from the forward pocket. I wasn't trying to cheapen the game and only mentioned it because we won. If we had lost obviously the sour grapes argument comes in and I would have had to keep my mouth shut.
But all in all this was a very good win with us having heaps left in the tank.:)
How good was Geary! I think this is the game that will take him to the next level,

Good to see Big Mick repaying the faith.

If we do make the GF - I have no doubt Mick will lift and be reported for striking fear into the opposition.

What are your thoughts on Peake?

James Gwilt is the master and the best undercover brother in the league.

Gwilt > Kobe

Big Gardy was very good again last night, he's vital to our premiership chances so hopefully he can stay fit. Also hoping he plays on next year, I'm sure Ross will be twisting his arm to play on next year with the sort of form he is in.

Peake was great as well, has earnt a spot in our best 22 with his performances lately. Great to see the WA boys flying the flag for the Saints. Just need Winmar MkII, Smith and Miles to get a gig now.

Agree about Gwilt, he has become the Michael Jordan of the AFL. Taking the game to a new level that no mere mortal can compete with.

Agree about Gwilt, he has become the Michael Jordan of the AFL. Taking the game to a new level that no mere mortal can compete with.

Bar Rhys Stanley, of course. ;)

Gwilt was soooooo best on ground last night it's not funny.

Thirty two disposals, seven clearances, three tackles and two goals, if we meet again in the GF I hope he "does a number" similar to that again, I'd take that output from Gaz every day of the week. ;)

Ablett won some hard balls and did some good things, but the thing I noticed was the huge number of times he ran to the back of a pack to take the relieving handball from a Cat under pressure. he'd then handpass it back to that bloke, run further backwards into space, get the ball back and then kick it up field to a target - the classic "quarter back" role. Most times he did it very well, but it was not world beating stuff - he was limiting damage, often deep in defence, rather than streaming forward and delivering into F50. Hence the reasonable comment that Clint Jones really blunted his effectiveness.

Its amazing that StKilda has beaten every team in the top 6. Thats 6 wins against the other 5 sides in the top 6, but still noone rates us a chance at all, and its always the oppositions fault for losing the game.

Until we hold the cup, they'll keep underestimating us. For some reason Collingwood and the Dogs don't need any silverware to be considered better than us.

Seems like the Cats have taken the defeat quite heavily going by what the Hun is saying about the Baker /Johnson incidents, with the coach using inflammatory language, their president involved. Who's the sore loser now? Pathetic the hypocrite type behavior,it was only for 4 points. Its seems now that the Cats are beginning to form a born to win type attitude and when it doesn't happen particularly against a rival it gets a little nasty. Our next match will be on for young and old, it will be a very tough game of footy.

Pretty pathetic the Hun today was, if baker "deserved it" according to those blokes than since Stevie J reciprocated the jumepr punches and grappling so does he since they're really both as guilty as each other. Yet the only Saints player I saw a quote from was Spider and he was pretty much of the same opinion while the rest were all about protection and provocation clauses.

A bit precious that read was.

Congratulations on the victory, not much you can say except far to good on the night.
If someone said before the game that any team, under any conditions, could restrict the cats to three behinds in a half of footy you'd look to have them committed; best defensive effort I've probably ever witnessed.

Can't leave without putting my hand up for a couple of the lads though ...

Gotta say that anyone who can't truly respect this bloke can't really truly respect footy.

Did you really think Gazza had an influence on the game especially 2nd half regardless of his stats?

Pretty pathetic the Hun today was, if baker "deserved it" according to those blokes than since Stevie J reciprocated the jumepr punches and grappling so does he since they're really both as guilty as each other. Yet the only Saints player I saw a quote from was Spider and he was pretty much of the same opinion while the rest were all about protection and provocation clauses.

A bit precious that read was.
I started a thread elsewhere about Jay Clark who wrote most of the stuff in the Sunday Herald Sun. He is ex Geelong Addy, does feature articles for the club and this morning was playing out his role as the spin doctor, have a look at his article about cameron Ling and how he used it to question umpiring decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Post match discussion Rd 13 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back