Review Post match discussion Rd 13 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty pathetic the Hun today was, if baker "deserved it" according to those blokes than since Stevie J reciprocated the jumepr punches and grappling so does he since they're really both as guilty as each other. Yet the only Saints player I saw a quote from was Spider and he was pretty much of the same opinion while the rest were all about protection and provocation clauses.

A bit precious that read was.

the fox sports crew stuck up for bakes and questioned how stevie j hurt his hand suggesting that he hit him. Bakes does have a hard head :cool:

Listening to radio talkback and reading responses on various boards of this forum, it's clear Geelong fans are not used to losing at all, least of all gracefully.
They were extremely warm favourites regardless of their outs, never mind who was missing from the Saints best team, theirs were always going to be worse!

I think many cat fans had the 2010 flag in the bag already.
Seriously sooks!

The whole worlds gone crazy.. Can't believe how many articles in the HUN were just Geelong people whinging about everything.. I can handle supporters being ungraceful in defeat but some of the comments from bomber thompson and other geelong personalities was pretty poor imo.
Geelong seriously can never bag umpiring decisions whilst they have joel selwood and gary ablett on the team who are protected species..
So proud of our blokes and I don't care what anyone says, I love bakes and the way he goes about it. He would die for our club

All i can say is thank God Raph did a hammy. If he doesn't, Jack doesn't get an oppotunity and we don't kick anywhere near enough goals to win even if we keep them goalless for a half. I'd go with an unchanged team next week unless Gram comes in and in that case I'd take out Dempster.

All i can say is thank God Raph did a hammy. If he doesn't, Jack doesn't get an oppotunity and we don't kick anywhere near enough goals to win even if we keep them goalless for a half. I'd go with an unchanged team next week unless Gram comes in and in that case I'd take out Dempster.

That's a genuinely shit comment.

Besides, we would have kicked enough goals. One thing I loved was that we opened it up in the third, put the score on the board and then shut it down in the last. If it had been closer at 3/4 time, we would have kept kicking goals. I've wondered previously whether our tempo footy was capable of working against Geelong. Clearly it is.

The defence was superb. They finally played Dempster there in the second half - and he did superbly. He is a backman.

S Fisher, Gilbert, Gwilt, Blake, Baker, Dempster & Geary played on Friday night. Dawson and Clarke were out of the side. I'd go into battle with any of these nine guys, but the first five named are the indispensable ones.

Small forwards - how to beat Geelong. They have one proper small defender in Hunt, one smaller player in Enright who likes to run off, and Scarlett and Milburn can go to a smaller player. Schneider was superb, Steven was important, Milne kept working and McQualter's desperation was first class.

Peake's second half was great - he won the hard ball and tackled intensely. Gram may just have to come back through Sandringham. Who do you drop from Friday night's team, other than Stanley for Riewoldt?

Dawson, Clarke, Riewoldt, Gram, Eddy, Heyne, Armitage, A Smith & King all ready to come in if required. We have a good 30-32 man core group.

Jones was great, especially in winning vital clearances early in the third quarter - set the tone.

Michael Gardiner continues to cover more ground than his opponent, and Ben McEvoy has now played 20 games for 19 wins, including two against Geelong.

They finally played Dempster there in the second half - and he did superbly. He is a backman.

So true. It is one of my pet hates that Ross plays the guys at the fringe out of position. Seany D does not play as a defensive forward in the VFL!

The Geelong backmen (Milburn, Scarlett, Enright) don't tend to respect their direct opponent, and often play off their man. If teams do not use their opponent, Geelong's tactic tends to be quite successful.

Mini provided a very good hit up target (7 uncontested marks, with his opponent often not within 5m) and Jack was given far too much space.

One of the positives with Roo being out is that we need to find other targets. Hopefully we do not get lured back into the trap of instinctively wanting to get it to Roo when he returns.

Gardiner is no longer a ruckman.....he is a 6' whatever ruckrover. Love the way he is now the link man in many plays. Very very important role not just at the bounces.

We don't have that many players who are great in a marking contest.
Fisher and Gilbert are good, but are often at the start of a passage of play.
Goddard and Gardiner are probably our best go to men, if its looking like a contest ( with plenty of respect going towards Farren Ray at the same time).

Did you really think Gazza had an influence on the game especially 2nd half regardless of his stats?

Depends what you mean by having an influence.

Twelve Gazza's out there couldn't have turned that game in the second half such was your dominance and ability to close us down, so basically what he was doing was trying to stop the floodgates from opening completely, which I thought he did very well.

One of our four or five best players, so the point I was making was that he certainly didn't "have a number" done on him, and I'd be more then happy for him to have that sort of output when/if we meet you guys again in September.

Small forwards - how to beat Geelong. They have one proper small defender in Hunt, one smaller player in Enright who likes to run off, and Scarlett and Milburn can go to a smaller player. Schneider was superb, Steven was important, Milne kept working and McQualter's desperation was first class.

Can't disagree with any of that but with one proviso, hopefully our coach won't have another brain fade next time we meet and play an average forward [ Gamble ] in defence against one of your two most dangerous small forwards, thereby giving you [ and Schneider ] a kick start.

Depends what you mean by having an influence.

Twelve Gazza's out there couldn't have turned that game in the second half such was your dominance and ability to close us down, so basically what he was doing was trying to stop the floodgates from opening completely, which I thought he did very well.

One of our four or five best players, so the point I was making was that he certainly didn't "have a number" done on him, and I'd be more then happy for him to have that sort of output when/if we meet you guys again in September.

If he plays the same desperate, defensive game in September, you won't need to check the scoreboard to know that you've been towelled up.

Schneider is the real problem for Geelong - ten scores in the last two matches. As I said at the time, I would take five scores from him every game - it was the accuracy and not anything else that was the problem in September. Having said that, he had a hand in at least two other goals on Friday night (Dal Santo's and Milne's first).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The defence was superb. They finally played Dempster there in the second half - and he did superbly. He is a backman.

S Fisher, Gilbert, Gwilt, Blake, Baker, Dempster & Geary played on Friday night. Dawson and Clarke were out of the side. I'd go into battle with any of these nine guys, but the first five named are the indispensable ones.

Bit more love for my man Gears, Punter!!!

Good to see the 2 small(er) defenders in Dempster and Geary back there helping out Bakes...I've thought we were going in too top-heavy in defence (see the Carlton game for example).

Ray and Peake were excellent, and we didn't solely rely on the big guns to dominate through the mid field.

If he plays the same desperate, defensive game in September, you won't need to check the scoreboard to know that you've been towelled up.

Did what he had to do under the circumstances, conversely, if he racks up the same stats as Friday night next time we meet it may be the Saints supporters wary of checking the scoreboard. :)

Schneider is the real problem for Geelong - ten scores in the last two matches. As I said at the time, I would take five scores from him every game - it was the accuracy and not anything else that was the problem in September. Having said that, he had a hand in at least two other goals on Friday night (Dal Santo's and Milne's first).

Yep, and that's why it's imperative we get the match up correct with him.

One thing is for sure, it won't be a reserves grade forward, or an aging warhorse struggling through his last game.

Before jumping into the chariot on Friday night I remarked that the key thing to come from this game would be a chance for the fringe players (read Geary, Steven, Stanley and Eddy - who was a late withdrawal) to make their claim on a spot. Well didn't these boys Look2Me4Guidance! I'm not sure I have ever cheered 3 goals more loudly than those conjured up by Nathan Burke sans helmet on Friday night. Magnificent stuff.

I watched the replay and have come up with the following points of interest;

Pre game. These blokes generally love each other. Plenty of pumping each other up in the rooms and this was clearly evident post game, especially by the players outside of the 22, that it is a team success.

End of the 2nd quarter. With 10 mins remaining in the 2nd, the Cats machine had found it's groove. However we managed to withstand an onslaught that resulted in 4 goals (one from a 50m penalty on the wing) and seize back some momentum. Yes we didn't score, but the fact that we adhered to structures spoke volumes of the faith in the gameplan, despite being under the fiercest pressure.

Small forwards. Mackie and Milburn love to zone off their opponents, but found this very difficult when manning up players who do their best work on the ground. The fact that we were able to cause multiple stoppages in our forward 50m arc starved Geelong of it's best rebounding weapon. Squizzy mentioned it previously, but it is imperative that these players direct opponents are used (and they were) against Geelong.

Andrew McQualter. Brothers were calling for the boonce of Mini a month ago but his effort on Fri night was the blueprint for team football. Multiple times he sacrificed his body to be first to the ball. Deft knock ons aren't shown on the stat sheets, but his effort left a profound mark on this poster.

The free kick count. Post game I was expecting a full blown investigation because the Saints had won the free kick count by 1. Much like a "tell" in poker, I found it amusing that when the Cats fell behind, every umpiring decision against them was argued as if a complete injustice had occurred. Darren Milburn was the leader in this category, but I knew once I saw this, the points were ours.

Finally, belief. The most important thing that could have garnered from this game. Our blokes know that when the temperature at the coalface is its fiercest, they can handle it. Marvellous.

Long way to go brothers, but these are a good set of legs to monitor over the journey.

Pre game. These blokes generally love each other. Plenty of pumping each other up in the rooms and this was clearly evident post game, especially by the players outside of the 22, that it is a team success.

Andrew McQualter. Brothers were calling for the boonce of Mini a month ago but his effort on Fri night was the blueprint for team football.

I found it amusing that when the Cats fell behind, every umpiring decision against them was argued as if a complete injustice had occurred. Darren Milburn was the leader in this category, but I knew once I saw this, the points were ours.

Seeing a bit of footage from the rooms was great, including the Red Bull getting angry as they came out the door.

Mini is certainly under-rated, as he has been a critical lead-up man whilst Roo has been out and 3 score assists was very handy on Friday in a low scoring affair. Tends to use the pill pretty well. Sometimes doesn't get enough of it, but is always working his arse off.

Dunno why they bother - especially Milburn who has about as much traction with the umpires as Milne these days. Surprised to see Ling carry on - as he was using Lenny as a dog sled most of the night frees will be paid! I don't want any of our players acting like a tool - just throw the ball back and get onto the next play. Don't try and hold play up - most of the time it just looks stupid and the umpires ping you for 50.

Great to see Milburn 50-ed for throwing the ball into the stratosphere - I thought that only happened to eccentric St Kilda ruckmen.

Watched the third quarter again last night - nowhere for the Cats to hide in the back 50.

McQualter Riewoldt Schneider
Steven Koschitzke Milne

Front six for the next Geelong game.

Great to see Milburn 50-ed for throwing the ball into the stratosphere - I thought that only happened to eccentric St Kilda ruckmen.

Watched the third quarter again last night - nowhere for the Cats to hide in the back 50.

McQualter Riewoldt Schneider
Steven Koschitzke Milne

Front six for the next Geelong game.

That 3rd quarter was amazing Ricky. Geelong had one genuine chance to score, which was Enright with about 1:20 left in the quarter.

That was the Saints footy blueprint.

Does anyone know why the Saints/Geelong game is the only game of round 13 un available to watch as a reply on the AFL website? or does anyone know where I can watch a reply?

Bit more love for my man Gears, Punter!!!

Good to see the 2 small(er) defenders in Dempster and Geary back there helping out Bakes...I've thought we were going in too top-heavy in defence (see the Carlton game for example).

Ray and Peake were excellent, and we didn't solely rely on the big guns to dominate through the mid field.

I thought Ray showed incredible desperation and a workrate that I hadn't seen before on him. He stepped it up another level, and was very very unlucky with some umps decisions. Up to the point he was getting frustrated since it seemed he couldn't tackle any cat without being pinged, but on the other side Selwood tackled him too high and got nothing for it.

Also, I found it amazing on how many frees against Selwood and Ablett manage to get away with. Selwood play a monster game from my point of view, but he always lowers his head looking for the high contact, and this annoys me very much. No doubt I would love to have him on our side though.

Mini also showed many passages of desperation type of play and I agree with many posters that his game was his best for the season even though he didn't score.

I loved the fact that, at times, there were 4-5 Saints players sorrounding whichever cat ball carrier of the moment. I loved the fact that Jack Steven grabbed his chance by the neck and made it his in his first game ever at the G. I loved the fact Geelong didn't score a goal in the second half, since it means we not only dominated in defence, but also in the midfield, cutting down his style of play.

I hated the fact that Mark Thompson said at the end of the game that the reason for which they played a crappy second half MIGHT have been coz of the opposition played well. Bah, might only?

Finally, I loved the fact we could do all of that without Riewoldt!!

Loved the long sleeve brigade.

Reckon play of the night goes to Dal Santo, roves the centre bounce, boots it into our 50, runs on, collects the handpass from Schneider and slots it through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Post match discussion Rd 13 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back